9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'14 Civic Si.

I was taking a U-turn with the steering wheel all the way to the left and I heard a howl noise coming from the front while in 2nd gear and accelerating a little.

I tested this a few times. Happens only with hard left or right turns and when accelerating, and when turning faster than a nice and gentle turn.

Does not happen if I am not applying gas. Also, no other drivetrain noises.

Has any one noticed such thing?

Thank you!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
If it happens at full-lock, it could be just the electric power steering system making noise. For comparison, hydraulic power steering is known for making noise at full-lock.

At any rate, I will try this myself later when I get in the car, and listen for anything excessive or weird.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scottyrocks, thank you for following up. Have you had a chance to test your car out?

The howl IS very similar to that of a hydraulic power steering at full-lock; however, it is not there at full-lock when stationary or driving gently.

My best educated guess is that it is the limited slip differential starting to engage at full-lock with a little bit of acceleration. After all, it is a clutch mechanism.

Either that, or the CV joints are going bad (I hope not). I am going to be doing a brake job this weekend on it; I will be inspecting the axles.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
I'll try to do it today (yesterday was a pig-f*ck).

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
OP, based on your description, I suspect the limited slip diff.

I'd suggest replacing the transmission fluid with Honda (OEM) fluid.

That said:
What fluid is in the transmission?
How many miles is on the fluid?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd suggest replacing the transmission fluid with Honda (OEM) fluid.
That said:
What fluid is in the transmission?
How many miles is on the fluid?
Thanks for the suggestion Teeps. It's got the factory MTF in it and I have 32k miles on the car. I will have to try that out and see if it will fix anything. Have you changed yours? It does sound like a differential / gearbox howl. Is there a way to service the differential?

Is anybody else experiencing the howl?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Not being able to hear the noise I'm just guessing, diff noise, based on your description. (NOTE: I do not have a Si)

The diff is not serviceable; other than fluid change.

Another thought, turn off the VSA and see if the noise still occurs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The other day I had my car in full lock while turning out of a parking space and this was before I turned on my playlist so there was no music or anything playing...didn't hear anything from the car, no sound at all. Of course I dont have an SI either so take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could anybody with an Si help me out? I'd be OK with the sound if it is a "normal" occurrence like the VTC actuator noise..

Could someone please, in the morning, take a u-turn, in second gear, while gently applying some gas, and listen for a low-pitched howl noise?

I'm losing sleep over this..

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
I did do this and did not hear any howling or otherwise weird noises. But mine is not an Si, anyway.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If you can wait til Friday, I'd be happy to do it for you (I'm away on business right now). Shoot me a PM on Friday to remind me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can wait til Friday, I'd be happy to do it for you (I'm away on business right now). Shoot me a PM on Friday to remind me.

Thanks mreggball. I'll send a reminder. I would greatly appreciate it.

I also have an appointment on Friday with Honda to take it in. It makes the noise fairly consistently; I hope I won't get any BS. I worry about the worst but I just gotta hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks mreggball. I'll send a reminder. I would greatly appreciate it.

I also have an appointment on Friday with Honda to take it in. It makes the noise fairly consistently; I hope I won't get any BS. I worry about the worst but I just gotta hope for the best.
Tell them you want a tech to go for a ride with you so he can hear it.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are pretty good that their response will be:

a) don't hear anything

b) don't hear anything unusual

c) oh, that's normal

d) b and c

e) all of the above

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are pretty good that their response will be:

a) don't hear anything

b) don't hear anything unusual

c) oh, that's normal

d) b and c

e) all of the above
Yeah, that's the typical response.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know they are not going to go ahead and replace the differential just because there is a little bit of noise, until it gets worse - only happens during sharp and u-turns, 2nd gear and beyond and with light accel. Not with hard accel.

And I'm ok with "normal" as long as it IS normal; that's why I would love to hear somebody else say theirs do it as well. It may really well be normal for our LSD's..

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
Does anyone/any of our techs (Teeps/BBSpoon?) know how identical the steering systems are on the K24s and R18s?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Does anyone/any of our techs (Teeps/BBSpoon?) know how identical the steering systems are on the K24s and R18s?
Other than compare part numbers for steering rack assemblies.
Si 53601-TR6-A91
EX 5spd m/t 53601-TS9-A01
Appears they are different for 2014 Civic, I checked for coupe.
What that difference is I can only guess that number of steering wheel turns, lock to lock, is less on the Si.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So yeah, the dealer didn't hear anything. I don't blame them too much because once the car is hot and it's hot outside, you can't really tell the noise is there if you don't know what you are listening for. But in the mornings in cooler weather, even with the car warm, it's 10 times more prominent and very obvious to hear. I made another appointment for Tuesday morning of next week to try replicate it myself.

I do blame them though for making me sit and wait 1.5 hours without saying anything first.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts