9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anybody who has been driving 2012 civic hybrid share thier experiences. how do you feel about performance, battery life, mileage. Has it reduced in any area or still consistent. did you face any issues with your vehicle. Cause I would like to buy 2012 civic hybrid. your inputs really help on my research.
Thx,
AndhraBond.​

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
Hi
Can anybody who has been driving 2012 civic hybrid share thier experiences. how do you feel about performance, battery life, mileage. Has it reduced in any area or still consistent. did you face any issues with your vehicle. Cause I would like to buy 2012 civic hybrid. your inputs really help on my research.
Thx,
AndhraBond.​
there r several hundred topics/info regarding hybrid scattered thruout every sub-forum on 9thgen.
PM me and ill hook u up, the mod was not too keen on starting a hybrid forum after i suggested it, even tho its 9th gen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Part of what I'm about to post is what I just posted on another post....

I've experiment driving very conservatively for a few fill ups and averaged around the high 40's, with my best tank being a little more than 50MPG. Nowadays, I find myself driving around 70 to and from work while trying to maintain my MPG meter around the half mark. I'm averaging around 45. My worse tank was a little less than 43, so the EPA estimate is pretty accurate.

I can easily get 475-500+ miles per tank. (However, since Gov. Brown approved winter blend gas, I see my gas tank meter falling a little bit faster than usual, but I think I can still maintain at least EPA estimates)

I find myself being very efficient driving at city speeds. Unlike a Prius, the Civic Hybrid can't drive on electric from stop, but driving electric is very possible though getting it to actually work takes a bit of learning. You just got to get a feel of the car when it "activates" and just try to hold steady to keep it going. Driving electric is a lot more easier in the city than at highway speeds, but its not impossible.

After driving my Civic (Hybrid), I can't really see why it got such negative reviews. I am thoroughly satisfied with my car. Of course there is plastic in the interior, and the headliner fabric isn't as nice as the 8th generation, and maybe the rear of the car isn't as nice to look at as the 8th gen, but these are things i knew about going into buying the car, so its not a negative to me. I haven't had any problems so far. I finally got it maintenance for the first time around 7500 miles. There is supposed to be a pop-up message on the iMID when your car needs maintenance, but I brought mine in before the pop-up came up. I guess I'm just used to changing my oil sooner than that, though the Honda tech told me not to be surprised if I don't get a change oil light for 10,000 miles.

If there is one thing I am slightly kinda disappointed about, which has nothing to do with how the car operates, is the bluetooth in the car. It works, and it works well for calls, however for music, there's maybe a 5 second or so lag. So if i press the >> next song button, it won't change instantly. Again, this isn't a hybrid issue, or operation of a car issue. It just the music system.

To your questions:
Performance-Its a hybrid, so its definitely not the fastest or most powerful car out there, especially with Econ mode on (which I have it on 99% of the time), so don't expect to easily pass on highway speeds. If i ever feel like i need more power (driving up an incline, passing someone) I can turn off the Econ mode and I'll have enough oomph. The ride is smooth, and even smoother on electricity.
Battery Life-I guess this can be a question of 1) longevity of the battery life OR 2) the "life" of the battery when its charged. 1) I'm not sure how long the battery life will last
. 2) Driving on electricity in the most ideal conditions, doesn't seem to last more than a minute, even if the battery meter isn't halfway depleted. You can resume electricity driving after charging it back up a for a little bit.
Mileage-See above.

Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
as someone that sells them and owns one, I will say, you may want to do the math to figure out what kind of driving you do. If you do mostly highway, it may take many years to get a return on investment. I figured out that at the rate I drive (about 20K a year) it will take me 5.8 years to make up the cost difference in gas savings had I gone with an EX-navi (I have a base hybrid) so just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got just over 15,000 KMs on my Hybrid. I bought it in the spring after my 2001 first gen Insight was written off by a 16 year old.

I thoroughly enjoy driving the car, especially after putting on the Eibach sway bars this month. With the 'econ' turned off it feels quite peppy, although that might just be perception after the numb feeling with 'econ' mode enabled. As mentioned above the car will not start from a stop in electric mode, but it will drive about a mile in electric mode at 50-60 Km/hr (30-40 MPH) on level ground. After that it alternates from charging for a few blocks, then electric for a few blocks, then charging.....etc. I've found that the simplest way to drive the car in the city is to get up to speed and hit the cruise. The computer is really good at getting the best fuel economy. After a few months of driving, I now have a good enough feel for the car to see if I can out-hypermile the computer.

Questions about the life of the lithium battery pack will have to wait a few years. I'm not worried though as I was still driving on my original NmH batteries after 10 years and 250,000 KMs on the Insight. The lithium batteries are supposed to be better, so I expect that they may be "life of the vehicle". Time will tell.

I've kept track of every fill and the lifetime average for the first 15,000 KMs is 4.6 l/100KM (51.13 US MPG). It was in 4.4 before the cold weather and snow knocked it down a bit. Also, in case anyone's interested I have a hitch on the car and it pulls my little utility trailer just fine for light loads and short distances. Now that the cold weather is really starting to settle in with temperatures dropping below freezing, my Scangauge is showing me that the coolant temp is dropping from a normal of 83 Celsius down into the 60's Celsius while driving in electric mode since the heater is still pulling heat out of the coolant and the gas engine isn't running. When the coolant temp gets to about 65 C the engine will restart in autostop mode and electric only mode. I don't think that there's any way around this short of turning off the heat.

Hope this helps,
Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's avg mileage on the hybrid?
I too own the 2012 Civic Hybrid and getting 50+mpg. It really depends on how you drive the car and environment conditions. I spend approx 90% on the highway with hills so I plan ahead on the battery and engine. Thanks to the iMID I can actually work with the car getting the most of the mpg like a video game.

Remember this isn't a Prius. You really have to pay attention to details in driving. Overall if your goal in saving gas and money then this car is for you. But if you are looking for something to drive and forget then a Prius is way to go. Sorry to say but that is very realistic on how this works.

The Honda Insight is the same way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess I like to pass slowpokes on the 2 lane each way highways. Otherwise, I probably would get closer to 50 mpg, like some of you are getting on the 12 HCH. I know I have had my car just under 3 months, and the mpgs will probably improve a lot over the summer. I had the same thing with my 2005 HCH. BTW, I love my 13 HCH, and I am very glad I waited to buy it. It is a very nice car. I have never had a car before that was very close to the rated mpgs from the beginning!

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is now a bit over 7 months and I have over 7K miles on my car. I still love it. Look, my 2005 HCH was supposed to be rated at 47/48 and the vast majority of the time, it got in the 35 or so range. This car is being consistent at mostly 42 or so. You will hear no complaints about mpg from me on the 13 HCH. It might not be what the rating is, but is not far off. It was actually getting more than the rating during the summer. I only used AC very sparingly. Keep the windows open, and the aerodynamics makes it like a hurricane inside the car. I use the minimal AC, with no blower on. That pretty much helps with the mpg. I still love driving the car! What an upgrade over the car I had for almost 8 years!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Copper - make sure you don't open the windows too much - just an inch or so, otherwise you create a parachute effect in the car. Also make sure the back windows are open just a little bit more than the front. And I'm not so sure about this, but I also keep my vents open - I have done an experiment with the vents open and closed and i get slightly better mileage with them open. Not sure why. And as mentioned by others before, you gotta inflate those tires close to the max, definitely more than what the door says. My door says 34, my tire max is 44, i bring them up to 41. Rougher ride but you are already sweating and worrying about the trip computer, might as well bounce around a bit also! Keeps you awake and on your toes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts