9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Hybrid in White Orchid Pearl
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all; I'm replacing the daytime running lights in my 2014 hybrid with an aftermarket set from IJDMToy. Each lamp draws about 0.5A, while the stock lamps draw 0.22A each. The circuit is fused for 10A so the wiring should be fine, my concern is that the extra load may fry the electronics that control the DRLs.

Does anyone know whether the hybrid DRLs are controlled by a relay or transistor? The positive side seems to be "controlled" (i.e. it is disconnected when the lights are off rather than the ground), so that would suggest relay to me, which should be okay. But it wouldn't be impossible to make a transistor do that either.

Has anyone else tried it? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Hybrid in White Orchid Pearl
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I went ahead and did some testing of my own. There is a definite relay click when the DRLs are turned on. The hybrid has two DRL fuses, a 7.5A inside that I think the normal Civic has as well, and a 10A fuse outside. I put my ammeter in series with the 10A fuse circuit and saw 550mA (0.55A), probably the light plus the relay. The 7.5A fuse showed almost nothing, and the DRLs "reset" when it was pulled (i.e. the parking brake was up, so the DRLs turned off). The 10A fuse is always hot. That says to me that the DRLs are switched only by a relay which is in series with the 10A fuse. In series with a 10A fuse means the relay was probably built for much more than an amp. So I think I'm probably good. I'll try it and keep you posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts