9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Bill Richards 
#1 ·
I recently had these cables installed and since then my cars been making a pretty loud scratchy noise. My mechanic claims it’s the shifter cable bushings the cable comes with as it’s metal and causing the sound from the vibrations. I went to a second mechanic and he claims the same thing. When I reached out to Hybrid Racing they said it shouldn’t make this sound. I don’t hear anyone else having this issue. HR asked for a recording of the sound but it’s impossible to record it. Tried driving over an hour to get a recording of it.

The issue is when I rev it to about 3-4 rpm it makes the scratchy noise. Sounds similar the heat shield making a noise. If I put it in neutral while the car is moving it stops but soon as I put it back into gear it starts making the scratchy noise. Il

has anyone else experience this before. Im at a loss here and considering switching back to my oem shifter cable. The noise is just not worth the improvements.

#4 ·
I have the exact same problem after having a usually pretty reliable mechanic install the shifter cable linked here: Hybrid Racing 9th Gen Civic Performance Shifter Cables (12-15 Civic Si)
I have removed the entire center console trying to figure it out, but have had no luck so far. If you ever find a solution, please post an update.
The only bandaid that helps a bit so far was gluing some neoprene sheets everywhere that I could get it to fit to deaden the grinding/rattling sound a bit.
It barely makes any difference, but at least I feel like I have tried.

#5 ·
I have the exact same problem after having a usually pretty reliable mechanic install the shifter cable linked here: Hybrid Racing 9th Gen Civic Performance Shifter Cables (12-15 Civic Si)
I have removed the entire center console trying to figure it out, but have had no luck so far. If you ever find a solution, please post an update.
The only bandaid that helps a bit so far was gluing some neoprene sheets everywhere that I could get it to fit to deaden the grinding/rattling sound a bit.
It barely makes any difference, but at least I feel like I have tried.
the noise was so unbearable for me I ended up paying to switch it back to the oem cable. Unfortunately I still have the scratchy sounds on 3rd and 4th gear but it’s much less pronounced. I’m thinking possibly my hybrid racing short shifter is also part of the culprit in causing the noise. Maybe tighter on the cable?. Did you by chance change your shifter recently as well?

#6 ·
My car is entirely stock, except for the shifter cable.

I bought it brand new, dealer serviced with OEM parts every 3,000 miles or six months, and I had under 35,000 miles on it,

And then over a three day period the car went from problem-free to...
1) difficult to shift. Then,..
2) the transmission started acting semi-independently of my clutch-pedal-shifting, so lagging or lurching when I clutch in or out. Then,...
3) all the odd-numbered gears just gave up, and I was only being able to use even-numbered gears (2nd, 4th and 6th were ok, but 1st, 3rd and 5th gear were impossible to shift into). Then,...
4) Stop at a red light, and have to push my car off the road when the light turned green, and then get towed.

Regular service dealer can't source OEM clutch cables, and nobody else seems to have any. So I went for the upgraded racing cables since it seemed like a safer bet than salvaging a used one from a junkyard, or trying to DIY a solution out of ROMEX, duct tape, and methamphetamine.

In retrospect, I should have gone for the drug-fueled creative option, but it is never too late to try...

Hence the attempts at sound deadening

This post is way to long, but I'm just going to post it anyway. Sorry

#7 ·
I recently had these cables installed and since then my cars been making a pretty loud scratchy noise. My mechanic claims it’s the shifter cable bushings the cable comes with as it’s metal and causing the sound from the vibrations. I went to a second mechanic and he claims the same thing. When I reached out to Hybrid Racing they said it shouldn’t make this sound. I don’t hear anyone else having this issue. HR asked for a recording of the sound but it’s impossible to record it. Tried driving over an hour to get a recording of it. The issue is when I rev it to about 3-4 rpm it makes the scratchy noise. Sounds similar the heat shield making a noise. If I put it in neutral while the car is moving it stops but soon as I put it back into gear it starts making the scratchy noise. Il has anyone else experience this before. Im at a loss here and considering switching back to my oem shifter cable. The noise is just not worth the improvements.
Did you ever find out what the issue is ? I am having the same problem

#17 ·
What’s interesting is I reverted back to the stock cable And the issue is still there. Granted it wasn’t as loud. If anything it has subsided a lot to the point it almost sounds normal. Like if the hr cable noise was a 10… going back to stock cable was a 4-5, and then over time now it’s a 1-2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.