9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been searching all over the Internet, and I can not find any information on this. I know that the top speed of the 8th gen civic hybrid was 115 mph, but the 9th gen has more horsepower/torque. I would assume that it would equal a higher top speed, but who knows. Not me or google, that's for sure. If anyone knows where I can find that info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not going to race my lil hybrid, I just like knowing what the limits of a vehicle are.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So, I have been searching all over the Internet, and I can not find any information on this. I know that the top speed of the 8th gen civic hybrid was 115 mph, but the 9th gen has more horsepower/torque. I would assume that it would equal a higher top speed, but who knows. Not me or google, that's for sure. If anyone knows where I can find that info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not going to race my lil hybrid, I just like knowing what the limits of a vehicle are.
don't have answer but HP is not what makes speed limiter on cars . The manufacture sets a speed and it limits this electronically through fuel cut-off .
For example Accords 2.4L and 3.5L V6 are limiter around 125-130mph (I forget the value) , both could do more if it was not limited .
It also might have to do with insurance classing of a vehicle . I could see 2 comparable vehicles but one with higher limited might be though as un-safe/higher insurance cost factor .

My guess is it would be the same as last gen ,but that is just a guess .

Edit: Just noticed car an driver reported on 2012 civic EX that top speed was "drag limited" 125mph .
So expect less for hybrid .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Go find out your self Take the less busiest interstate. thats the best way instead of bringing up this thread.
It's a Hybrid so what are you gonna lose?
Just his license , slow hybrid take long time to get to top speed , not sure it really matters much as its a hybrid .

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was gonna say take it to the track but i then realized that in a 1/4 mile it might be up to 75.. LOL

you could dyno it. a dyno shop might take pity on you for putting a hybrid on the rollers enough to just let you run it out for free lol

id be interested to know what the MPG reading would be on a hybrid at top speed
-Christopher

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Officer - my car is a hybrid - surely it can't go that fast? :xyxnervous:
You laugh but I got pulled over doing 107 mph in a 1970 VW bug back in the day. It had some intake and exhaust mods. I told the cop he knows a VW won't go that fast and he actually said he didn't believe his radar and let me go. Made my day...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as this is my video that I posted on youtube...I can tell you that I punched it to early and ran out of battery too quick. I have since made another video getting up to 111 with a bit more ease before I ran out of road. I will upload it and make it private for these forums. really feels weird having a video I uploaded used as a reference...haha.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

and there you go. I did this about a month after the last video.

the reason for the slow climb in speed is that i was trying to conserve batery so the electric motor would provide torque and HP up to the very end.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Hoodlums, menaces to society...LOL!

For the second time in my life, I have a car (Civic) that I don't what the top speed is. I just don't care to know what the Civic will do. The other car was a 1969 Firebird 400ci rated at 345hp. It was one of those under-rated engines like the 428 Cobra Jet. When the 'bird got to around 125mph, the front end wanted to drift around so I always chickened out. That's likely why I'm still here as an ex-menace to society. I did find out that our 2003 Z06 would do as advertised at 171mph. It got there quick but the quality of the Vette was at the POS level.

I kind of like the 43mpg to and from Nashville last week in my EX. Another way to put that is f--k OPEC and our great country's lack of a pragmatic energy policy....but let's please not go there any further....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had to pass someone on the highway and I was unsure of how much they were speeding up while i was passing, so I had to do 81 mph for a moment in my 13 HCH. I hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts