9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday while running a couple errands, I did a little spirited driving. I don't drive the car hard very often and it's not my dd.

So, i did a hard 1-2 pull and really ripped it into 2nd at redline about as quick as I ever have. Even my lady commented "that was a really 'nice shift". Well, now my shifter pulls further into 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Example: when it's in neutral, the shifter looks as if it's in 2nd or 4th gear. It definitely feels like I bent something and it leans further towards the rear. Doesn't affect anything else and still feels fine when changing gears, but I do think I screwed something up.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on here? Edit: it's a 2012 si.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,142 Posts
If you remove the knob and then the boot you will be able to see the linkage. That may tell you something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

The past few days I've tried a couple spirited 1-2 pulls and unfortunately, it doesn't always wanna go into 2nd or it grinds pretty good. Shifting into 2nd at normal speeds occassionally will feel as if there is no resistance going into the gear, and it will just rev like it's in neutral. Then I usually put it back into neutral and try again (and it always goes back into 2nd just fine).

It has 53.7k miles and I've yet to change the transmission fluid. I purchased it 4.5yrs ago with 27k. I'm hoping fresh tranny fluid does the trick, but from what I've read over the years, these cars' transmissions are a weak link.

All opinions and advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sounds like you stretched the cable since its all the even gears

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I would think something along these lines as well. It's been a while since i've been into my shifter, but I wonder if those cables have any adjustment. Weird that one pull messed things up like that. I beat on my car regularly with 90k on it and it shifts like butter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the shiftboot/center console and not exactly sure what the hell to look for but i don't think anything is out of place. I doubt these pictures tell much, but here's what I saw.

Also, just went for a short drive and did not notice the issue at all, but I wasn't getting on it. Under normal driving conditions, it seems just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Are you physically shifting to hard when your getting on it? Like muscling it into gear?
Troubleshooting would involve doing a pull with the covers off, or shifting like your doing a pull with the covers off.

My guess is replacing the shifter assembly with a used one from a forum member or eBay will fix it.
Compare both of them, see how they work and inspect for anything damaged.
If you do, and it doesn't fix it, sell the extra.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you physically shifting to hard when your getting on it? Like muscling it into gear?
Troubleshooting would involve doing a pull with the covers off, or shifting like your doing a pull with the covers off.

My guess is replacing the shifter assembly with a used one from a forum member or eBay will fix it.
Compare both of them, see how they work and inspect for anything damaged.
If you do, and it doesn't fix it, sell the extra.
I do use a bit more strength than needed. I guess it's my idea of ensuring it's all the way in as quick as possible (heh).

Are there certain after market parts you'd recommend changing first before the whole shifter assembly? I see acuity is making a ton of shifter components that seem to sell well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Opinions vary, but I'll give mine.
Honda is known for making a great shifter, nearly all reviews of the car mention this.

Acuity shifter is $400.00, stock one on ebay is $50.00. Save the 350 for things that make the car look better, or go faster. Unless your thinking the aftermarket shifter is going to not break during rough shifts. However then you have to wonder if it will break, or what will break next.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opinions vary, but I'll give mine.
Honda is known for making a great shifter, nearly all reviews of the car mention this.

Acuity shifter is $400.00, stock one on ebay is $50.00. Save the 350 for things that make the car look better, or go faster. Unless your thinking the aftermarket shifter is going to not break during rough shifts. However then you have to wonder if it will break, or what will break next.
Makes sense. I've no interest in spending hundreds on an aftermarket shifter. I'd rather spend that on a decent cai and get my car retuned (still have the injen installed from original owner).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sirimoto also makes a short shifter that's cheap, if your worried about distance of throws thats a simple bandaid and you can get it with new base bushings. As far as the first to second grind, I believe these cars are known to not like a quick shift because of the clutch delay valve. Free mod that might alleviate that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I do use a bit more strength than needed. I guess it's my idea of ensuring it's all the way in as quick as possible (heh).

Are there certain after market parts you'd recommend changing first before the whole shifter assembly? I see acuity is making a ton of shifter components that seem to sell well.
I doubt there is anything wrong with the shift lever itself but instead the cables running from the lever to the trans. You can get replacement cables from ktuned.
An aftermarket shifter or short shift adapter is not going to help this. Also, make sure the shift plate on top of the trans is not blocked or seized up. Have someone shift the gears while you watch under the hood.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sirimoto also makes a short shifter that's cheap, if your worried about distance of throws thats a simple bandaid and you can get it with new base bushings. As far as the first to second grind, I believe these cars are known to not like a quick shift because of the clutch delay valve. Free mod that might alleviate that.
Can confirm Sirimoto base bushings and short shifter are good stuff. High recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt there is anything wrong with the shift lever itself but instead the cables running from the lever to the trans. You can get replacement cables from ktuned.
An aftermarket shifter or short shift adapter is not going to help this. Also, make sure the shift plate on top of the trans is not blocked or seized up. Have someone shift the gears while you watch under the hood.

Tried this. Everything seems fine. That said, I'm kinda leaning towards the cables being the issue. Only thing I notice now is that it goes into 2nd sometimes with no resistance and feels like its hitting a wall almost. Other gears feel like there's cushion or something guiding it in. Its also only 2nd gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts