9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SI

It's stuck open, it does close, but when it gets within 5" of completely closing it backs itself up, sometimes it closes all the way but then reopens all the way. When closing from tilt, it tilts back down then moves a couple of inches then auto reserves to full open. The tracks are clean and aligned and nothing is loose or making a grinding sound other than the usual sound of a moonroof closing. I've owned many Hondas, I went to the trunk to get the moonroof tool, I was surprised to see no moonroof tool, no moonroof access point in the roof, no mention of an emergency moonroof closing process in the owners manual, so no way to manually close the moonroof. Anything else I should check before taking the car to my Honda shop?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a day of searching, I found quite a number of Moonroof Reset procedures for older Civics and newer Accords. This is a 9th gen Accord reset process that worked for me after I added steps 6 and 7 from a Civic forum.

Thanks, 08civicman, Silver8th and Keyboard w/9th gen Accord for the threads that lead me to other threads that closed my moonroof.

1. Close the driver’s door, and leave it closed until the procedure is complete.
2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II), or press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.
4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times. Note: Each step must be performed within 5 seconds of each other.
6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).
8. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
9. Press and hold the moonroof close switch until the moonroof is titled fully opened.
10. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE feature.

btw, there is a 2 step Moonroof process in 8th gen that appears to work on older Civics by not 9th gen.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
Thanks for posting the problem and the solution, kane.

Please let us know if this was a true reset. Iow, whether the roof closes properly from now on.

As it is, I will sticky it, as it is important to know how to close a recalcitrant moonroof, especially if the weather is iffy.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i had this issue almost a year ago or so. out of the blue, it did EXACTLY what you described above. i jacked with it for hours...to no avail. i too didn't find the manual close tool and crank like in the older models. after googling and a few failed attempts, i finally got it to work properly and it has worked as designed ever since. EZ1 posted the accord reset...that worked

so, at least i can say it's been a permanent fix................................SO FAR................

i guess it's been almost 2 years since this happened to me

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/192209-sunroof-wont-stay-closed-tilted-position.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my car to my independent Honda repair shop for its 30k service and asked them to look at the moonroof. They did not find any issues with the rails, moonroof, or the controls. They used the Accord moonroof reset on Accords but had not tried it on a Civic they said it’s probably the same moonroof controller used across all vehicle model moonroofs. My son says the moonroof defiantly opens wider, based on how much the moonroof sunshield now has no movement back and forth when the moonroof is open. I guess it’s possible the moonroof open/close calibration has been off all this time in any case ever since I reset the moonroof the moonroof works as it should.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
From the Service Manual

Resetting the Moonroof Control Unit
Procedure
1. Moonroof Control Unit - Reset

Resetting the moonroof is required when any of the following have occurred:

The moonroof was moved manually while the battery was dead or disconnected.

The moonroof motor was replaced with a new one.

Any of components related to the moonroof were replaced.

- Wind deflector

- Moonroof glass

- Moonroof glass bracket

- Moonroof cables, etc.

To reset the moonroof control unit, do these steps:

1. Close the driver’s door, and keep it closed until the procedure is complete.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

4. Release the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four more times.

6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.

7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).

8. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
mine did that every now and again then
when i would close it sometimes the rubber seal
would bulge
honda replaced it under warranty
my last si had its sun roof replaced they make crappy sunroofs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts