9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure I am just paranoid, but... on Monday morning it was cold (in the upper 20's) and frosty here and I drove my new Civic sedan to work for the first time. I went to put down the driver front door window to tell my mom something as I was backing out and the window was a little frozen and when I put it down, it kinda popped loose and went down. The window is still working fine, I just wanted to see how durable the power window mechanisms are on these cars and make sure I don't cause early failure... I guess I am paranoid where its my first new car and I have been trying to baby it, lol. Do these windows typically do that on these cars? We don't get much winter weather here and not too much frost at my house, so it was surprising that it stuck like that. Also I didn't notice before, but when I put the windows up, the door panels will push out a little as the window seals, but I think this is normal. Its just the first time I had the window down and put back up in the daylight since I have owned the car. I am too paranoid aren't I? LOL. :) Well tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be rainy and not nearly as cold, but I am not driving it in the rain yet - will drive one of the oldies tomorrow. lol.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
You're good to go. Nothing you described hasn't happened to my Honda. The window pushing the door panel out indicates a tight assembly fit and is otherwise meaningless I suspect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great! I guess I was just paranoid about it! lol! Thanks for the replies! I would have had any problems this morning, it was in the 40s and pouring down rain, but I didn't want to get the car dirty yet, so I drove the Caddy to work. lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I thought all doors flexed when you put the window down. Isn't that normal? I didn't think about it twice. I guessed its just the way it was.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought all doors flexed when you put the window down. Isn't that normal? I didn't think about it twice. I guessed its just the way it was.
Yeah, I think so, at least on most cars. I have never owned a new car before and didn't know if that was still normal or not. lol. I did put the passenger window up/down and it did the same thing, so its fine. I also noticed today when I was driving my moms 1988 Mercedes S-Class, that it does the same thing, but I don't think my 1993 Mercedes S-Class moves like that. I will have to check. My 93 Cadillac and 95 Lincoln does, so I am sure its normal.

My main concern was maybe that window being stuck for a moment may cause sooner than usual problems with my window, but seems like I am fine. :)

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
597 Posts
The door panel flexes a little when the window closes. It never seals properly, since the door panel flexs, the bottom of the glass that touches the plastic door panel will become loose while the top is tight. All road noise, cold/hot wind, etc. would come from that gap (move your head toward the window and you know what I mean). Technically you can stick a figer into the gap when window closes but you can't if the glass is rolled down only a little bit.

I owned a 7th gen Civic and it did the same thing. Very bad design. My 7.5 gen Accord didn't flex and it was air tight with minimal road/wind noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts