9th Gen Civic Forum banner

My 2012 Civic

• Love it. Who cares about the new one.

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Honda screwed me. I want my money back.

Votes: 5 14.3%
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I'm in Thailand. Chevrolet SUCKS. I had a little Honda City here that gave me 0 issues. WE wanted something bigger so we went with the Chevy Cruze. Gave up our little Honda for it. Worst decision I ever made.

Not only does the Chevy Cruze suck, but the service is atrocious.

Cruze was fine for about 2 months. Then:

It all started with the Trumpet sound. Then I noticed the side mirror plastic was getting white and losing its color. Then the vanity mirror top fell out for no reason. Then the button for the center console fell out. Then the brake noises started which they never fixed and my brakes were still not adjusted after 2 months and flapping around down there. My car sounded like I was carrying a bag of spoons underneath and the parking brake went all the way up to the center arm rest (if it wasn't there it would have ended up pointing at the back seats). Then the AC fan started ticking. Then the rear speaker crackling.

Just one this after the other in about 10 months of ownership. Not for lack of pursuing a fix, I had enough. Time after time the answer was "everything is fine".

So, I took it to another dealer (maybe my dealer was crap). Basically I found out that they charged me for an alignment and all they did was put the right front tire at 31psi and the left front one at 40psi. Then I looked at the oil (because they were supposed to do the oil change) and it didin't look transparent like new oil. It looked dark. Now I can't trust them to even change the oil.

I was furious. So my wife called the dealer and we both took the day off work, went back to the dealer. The manager offered to give them one more chance to fix it. We told them the 4th time we went there the mechanics and the Mechanic supervisor ganged up on us telling us that our car was normal and everything was fine. Why do you want to "really" fix it now?

Lying cheats.

So, I sold the car back to them. I owed 280,000 baht on the loan. They gave me 580,000 baht for the car.

Went right back to my trusty Honda dealer of 6 years (before this Chevy) and ordered a 1.8L Civic E Navi.

Never again will I buy anything from GM.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just reserved a Thai 2012 Civic Navi

Well, after my Chevrolet nightmare, I sold them back their piece of crap Cruze after a year of use, drove straight into my trusty Honda dealer here and reserved my 2012 Civic.

I chose the 2012 Civic E 1.8L Navi. Almost the top Civic. $31,000. Just keep in mind used cars here are really expensive especially Hondas and Toyotas. In 10 years i am positive they will give me $20,000 at least for it. i sold my crap tiny Honda City (like a small Fit) and they gave me $10,000 for it cash. And the insurance here is super cheap for full premium 1st class coverage. It's like $600 a year.

Anyway. I just gave the deposit and waiting on the bank person to go fill out the paper work.

The loan is at 3% interest which is standard here. There is no such thing as a Credit or Fico score.

But. Today I test drove it for the first time. One thing is looking at it. A bit narrow inside yet comfortable. It's a Honda so it's not all luxury, for the eyes at least. THEN you turn it on. Put it in D and start down the road. The ride quality and almost 0 cabin noise. It's like driving a cloud. Super precise brakes and steering, it's a joy to drive.

I'll leave this thread here and post pictures so you guys can see the Thailand Civic.

I chose Polished Metal Metallic. I'll post pics when I get it.

This one is the 2.0 Navi. Mine is the same except I don't have push start button.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sorry about your experience with Chevy. Welcome to the 9th!

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sawadiklap, that is suck! The dealer is always win. The resale value is that low? I would be so mad if that is happen to me.

Hopefully everything will be good from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^

First they said 600,000 baht (about 20,000 usd), then they said no, just 580,000 baht, but we will give you 600,000 baht if you get another Chevrolet from us.

What balls.

But, the Honda guy tried to sell the Chevy Cruze and 4 different used dealers he deals with hung up on him. So, I went with the dealer's offer. It was the best one.

In the end I lost about $6,600 (200,000 baht), but I'll think of it as I just rented a car for a year and didn't like it.

Good.

I will NEVER buy another car but Honda. It may not be the prettiest and most modern looking, but as soon as I test drove the new 2012 Civic I was convinced. It felt like it would last forever.

In Thailand It used to look like this one here

So here the new 2012 is really different. Just came out this July.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sawadiklap, that is suck! The dealer is always win. The resale value is that low? I would be so mad if that is happen to me.

Hopefully everything will be good from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
New 875,000 baht. Sell 600,000 baht after 1 year. The dealer will probably sell it for 750,000 baht.

Nobody would give me more than 580,000 baht. Chevy doesn't hold value.

My Honda City was 564,000 baht NEW in 2005. Sold it in 2011 for 300,000 baht.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just glad it's over. I don't care about the money, I just wanted Chevrolet to get out of my life. I don't have time to worry every single day about all the noises and all the crap.

All I did with my City was just change the oil. in 6 years the only thing I had was replace the ignition coils and that's it. Service was excellent. They always showed me what they did and always call the next day to ask about the service you received. Whether the car is 1 month old or 20 years old. Doesn't matter.

This was my trusty city.

That was the night I was cleaning it out to buy the Chevrolet. Damn. Makes me want to cry.

To be replaced by this (the red one up there)

It was there more in the last 4 months than my City in 6 years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. That's why you see more "import" cars on the US roads than "American" cars. The resale value is horrible and they are known to be unreliable. Only American vehicle I would choose over import is the pickup truck. I just love the size American trucks deliver compared to the imports. Welcome back to Honda!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'll take the real ones soon so you guys can see the Japan exported Civic. They build here and ship to Japan. Only 2 choices of Civic.

1.8 or 2.0

The 1.8 comes in S and E trims. S is manual with cloth or automatic with cloth. E is with leather and one E with leather+Navigation. Then 1 2.0 that has all the little extras like push start, VSA, things like that. But the one I'm getting is pretty stocked.

The 2012 Civic here takes E85 gasoline.

I didn't have enough time on the test drive to check driving with and without ECON mode. Is it that much different? I don't drive aggressively. Just cruising down the highway mostly. I read it behaves weird on bumper to bumper traffic? Is that true?

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I won't buy a GM product in my lifetime either. Congrats on your new Honda.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum. We Americans don't like American cars because of reliability like this.
I'm an American working and living here BTW. I'm not Thai. I can't speak Thai either so my wife had to take off work (she is a teacher also) to help me deal with these Chevy people.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took this picture yesterday at the dealer. This is the S trim though. Not mine. 15" wheels.

Papers are signed. We are just waiting for the bank to confirm I'm approved. Then hopefully tomorrow give Honda the money Chevrolet gave me back (gladly), and he said the color is in stock so I would get it in about 3 days. They have to bring it to the dealer and put the tinting. I am leaving it as it comes, no body kits or anything. Here you can order it with the "MODULO" kit which looks like this

But I'm leaving it alone. Oh well, I told him I wanted the trunk tray.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
GM - Government Motors. Their vehicles work about as well as the government. Which is why I will never buy one. Sorry about your City. But welcome back.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts