9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
so i have read the other threads on clutch smell, here my story, got about 1500 miles now, wanted to check out the v tech, getting on the inter state, got the whole place to my self, wind out 1,2nd and i believe (as always) I mis shifted, well i know i did!, i think i went from 2nd to 5th full throttle? heck! can that even happen ? or does it take a pro like me to do something that assbackwards:question::eek:hsnap:

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
No damage done except to an ego when that happens. I have not done the 2-5 shift yet but probably will happen sometime.

·
Registered
566 Posts
2nd to 5th....done it a few times, but not at WOT. Just caused the car to lug a bit is all. Just push in the clutch and select the appropriate gear and rev match if necessary. I'm getting very good at correcting my occasional mis-shift, especially if I flub a downshift. RPMs shoot up...clutch in..Now! LOL I'm still a n00b on the manual, but getting more used to it. The damn short throws on the shifter get me a little confused sometimes though. Sounds like what you experienced as well.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
:bunny: happens to all of us sometimes...but when do we get to hear about you clutch smelling???:icon_scratch:

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
mine smells like teen spirit.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
Reactions: Skrub

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i changed the thread title to something more fitting for ya...lol
Hahaha I read it before opening like 5 times because I was like wtf? is my dyslexia acting up??

All I've done so far is grind 3rd now that it likes to randomly become notchy instead of butter smooth. My mom went from 5th to 4th twice though trying to find 6th when I let her drive..... I started yelling just leave it in 5th its fine !!!

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
I ground it a couple times last week. I say it was due to bad timing between foot and hand. Passengers make me sensitive to my shifting because I'm not the most experienced with it and occassionally dodgy, especially if I have slow-ass accelerators in front of me. Then I try to be more smooth and end up being worse at it than when I'm on my own. Doh!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Everyone is going to miss a shift from time to time, even pro drivers. The trans/clutch are stout, they can handle a good amount of abuse and mishaps. Its better that you missed and when 2nd to 5th instead of 2nd to 1st at high rpm...

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
Hahaha I read it before opening like 5 times because I was like wtf? is my dyslexia acting up??

All I've done so far is grind 3rd now that it likes to randomly become notchy instead of butter smooth. My mom went from 5th to 4th twice though trying to find 6th when I let her drive..... I started yelling just leave it in 5th its fine !!!
original thread title was clutch smell but he never metioned it in the thread...so changed it for him...lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unless you gave it throttle like crazy when you hit 5th what would it matter youd be doing say around 90kmh at top of 2nd then sitting somewhere around 4000 rpm in 5th. You can skip gears lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sometimes I struggle when down shifting to pass someone but I'm getting better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
its easy, clutch in, out of gear, give throttle, into lower gear, clutch out and give er, For every gear you go down generally 1000 rpm higher than the gear you were in was at and pretty much matches revs decent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 3rd and 4th gear shift gate is the only one that is NOT spring loaded. Try this...when your car is running, but stopped, put your car in second gear and then try to shift into 3rd gear by only using a closed fist. Your shifter should be able to find 3rd gear like it had eyes. That's because the 1 - 2 shift gate is spring loaded so that you have to put pressure to the left in neutral to find it. In much the same way, to engage the 5 - 6 shift gate, you have to put pressure on the stick to the right to work passed the spring load. Do the same when downshifting from 5th to fourth gear...just take the shifter out of 5th without any left or right pressure and it will find the 4th gear gate on its own. In neutral, the 3 -4 gate is really like a default gate or its home resting position. I hope I've explained it so it makes sense to you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts