9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find this little gauge kind of silly? When ever I see it come on I think of F&F or just little boy racers shouting about vtec. I got nothing against the gauge or whatever you want to call it, but I just think it is a bit silly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The idea is that formula racing cars use gauges like this to show exactly when the most optimal time is to shift to gain speed when engine is running near redline. It is silly yes but, it helps so you don't have to always watch RPMs you can just watch some lights or do a mix of both. It's a cool addon I guess.

Reactions: dtao819

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's also useful the other way, as in letting you know you're up there when maybe you don't mean to be.

This is the first tach-wielding vehicle I've owned where I don't watch the tach more than I do the speedo -- the reason being that the speedo is up there along side that wonderfully distracting MID, and the tach is down there away from the road and inside the steering wheel: you have to look down and refocus your eyes on it and I've been just plain forgeting to do that. So sometimes with all the road noise and the rain keeping the engine noise from dominating, the i-VTEC lights are the thing that tells me that maybe I should think about shifting...

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
what you talking about??? [email protected] rules.... thats real life boi... adont be a poser... you know you bought this car to live your life a quarter mile at a time.... :eusa_dance:

Reactions: soozzeeq

·
Registered
641 Posts
Speaking of F&F the second one was on tv last night. I enjoy my vtec gauge! I love as soon as that first light comes on I can hear the vtec noise from the engine.. Also funny thing we noticed last night while watching the 2nd F&F, all the cars engine are a vtec noise. Never noticed before but it must be some pre recording they used because you can cleary hear the engine noise change to vtec. Pretty funny.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
vtec ftw!!!:3tens:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The way my steering wheel is set up, when I have my left hand at or near the top of the wheel, I can't see the tach at all. I like having those little lights to tell me, "Hey, you're getting close to redline now" until I've had the car long enough to know where it is by feel. This car is also a lot quieter than my last car (S2000) so I don't always know where the RPM's are because I just don't hear them the same way. That'll change as I get used to the Si, but for now, those lights are helpful. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
. Also funny thing we noticed last night while watching the 2nd F&F, all the cars engine are a vtec noise. Never noticed before but it must be some pre recording they used because you can cleary hear the engine noise change to vtec. Pretty funny.
Well keep in mind most cars come equipped with a type of Variable valve timing although they aren't as advanced as V-tec is.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i like the vtec gauge i have used it a few times now, definately a nice lil addon piece on the SI's

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Is that what those lights are for? I thought it was a direct link to my bank account headed into the red because of the fuel consumption. Go figure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that what those lights are for? I thought it was a direct link to my bank account headed into the red because of the fuel consumption. Go figure.
yup that too. I love when I'm at the pump and I look away for a second and turn back and meter is at $40+

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
I kinda like the goofy gauges and VTEC light. Kinda wish I had a few analog gauges but damn, I love the car especially with VTEC engaged.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just hope that with flashpro there is a way to tune v-tec to activate at lower RPMS around 4500 would be nice for a good launch

Reactions: FooBird

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just hope that with flashpro there is a way to tune v-tec to activate at lower RPMS around 4500 would be nice for a good launch
Per Hondata's page, the VTEC engagement point is unchanged with their reflash.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Flashpro is not just a reflash though, so it is still an unknown until released.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd rather have a temperature gauge there.
Agreed, I just assume that a red light will come on if I'm running warm as opposed to the blue light when it's still cold but I'd prefer an actual gauge of some sort that I could monitor.

And in Canadian winters it's nice to have an idea where you car is sitting at temperature-wise so you know how long it will be til you finally feel some heat from the vents! lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts