9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stock free air sub in my ex-l coupe with navi, but I don't know the first thing about audio equipment.

Does anyone know what I would need if I'm going to replace the stock sub with an after market free air sub?

I'd like to get some more bass without putting in boxed subs.

Thanks forum members!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Replacing a free air (or Infinite Baffle) sub is tricky. Technically, there is no such thing as a true IB sub. Some subwoofer manufacturers just say that the sub can be used in a box or an IB scenario. With that being said, there is no guarantee that if you purchase an IB sub that it'll work exactly how you want it or that it will even sound good at all.

On the topic of just replacing it and hoping you find the right thing, the stock sub is 8 inches, and you'll need to purchase an aftermarket amplifier to power it, as the factory amp isn't going to supply sufficient power. Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as say just replacing the door speakers. Some brands I would look for that offer IB subs are Kicker, JBL, JL Audio, Polk, and Infinity. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info, criscotwister! That was very informative.

My overall objective is to get a wider range of lows in my Civic. Would replacing the rear deck speakers give me what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No unfortunately replacing the rears won't do that for you. Think of it this way, a tweeter places very high pitches and is anywhere from 15-30mm in diameter. A subwoofer plays your lows, and can be anywhere from 8-15 inches. So, more surface area, more low range, less surface area, more high range. The only thing I could think of would be to replace the rear 6-1/2's with 6-1/2 woofers. I've heard these before and they are pretty cool: CompVT | KICKER You'll notice you can purchase 6-1/2" as well as 8". I think it would be sweet if you replaced everything on the rear deck with kicker stuff. You'd have mids and highs coming from the front doors, and your lows all on the rear deck. You may be able to get away with just using the factory amp with those as well. Also, notice Kicker says these work best in free air applications.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, this sounds like an interesting route to go. I wish the rear deck were fitted with 6x9's instead of 6-1/2's. My last car had an amazing low range just from two 9x6's on the rear deck. I'm going to look into this CompVT KICKER's. I definitely want to get a wider range of lows to hear more of my music!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah 6x9 speakers will give you more lows but that is because they have more surface area, not because they are designed for lows. The compvt is an actual woofer, therefore you'll be happily surprised by the lows you can get out of a pair of 6-1/2's and an 8. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! I think I'll look into those Kicker's you've mentioned. How will I know if I need an amp for those bad boys though?

·
Registered
38 Posts
damn... so i bought a kicker 8" hoping thatll atleast make little difference but now I lost hope. lol.. Hasnt arrived yet but I think I will go ahead and replace the 6 1/2s as well w lkickers too.. I will put a 10" kicker in the trunk with an amp but not there yet. I want it concealed as I like my trunk space:) well thats a 5/600 investment and Id rather do other things to my civic beforehand. thanks for the info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts