9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being only 45 mins away from VIR (Virginia International Raceway) I want to start running my Si every now and then.
I am a complete noob when it comes to these sorts of things and would love tips from guys that track there FWD cars.

things like should I save for high end coilovers or would the Eibach pro kit/19mm sway be enough? I also plan on a different wheel/tire set up for track days. I feel my k24 has plenty of power for now and I wouldnt wanna mess with my engine warranty anyways.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The best advice I've given to all newcomers to the track is to first try it out with the car bone stock. This will give you a chance to see and actually feel how your car behaves when driven to the limit in stock form. All the data will also give you hints on how to set up the car with modications to make it into a better car on the track.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My high performace driving coach asways said, "Be smooth"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
is the auto x or drag?? im guessing auto x since your talking lowering springs or coilovers but just making sure...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont believe its auto x... its a full on race track. I have seen a bunch of vids on youtube of guys running older civics out there and it looks like tons of fun.
My first time out my car will be stock. But I know that I at least want a better set of tires, these all seasons sound like there at there limits taking 25 mph turns in normal city driving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knowing insurence isnt going to cover a nasty wreck.. I'll be taking it very easy. But what if something happens to my engine? I plan on keeping her in the vtec range as best I can without going to crazy.
I just bought the car and she is fully covered under warrany. I'm more scared of blowing my motor up then losing control.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I dont believe its auto x... its a full on race track. I have seen a bunch of vids on youtube of guys running older civics out there and it looks like tons of fun.
My first time out my car will be stock. But I know that I at least want a better set of tires, these all seasons sound like there at there limits taking 25 mph turns in normal city driving.
Yup! Track driving is super fun! The stock all-season do make noise at low speeds, but they're nowhere near their limit. I've taken them to their limits and they hold up fine cornering at 100+ MPH.

Here's a photo of me driving my FG3 at Willow Springs International Raceway. Stock everything minus the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't worry about blowing your motor, I've driven my car like a stole it since day one.
Haven't even burned the slightest but of oil at 3000km
Hondas are high revving engines

·
Registered
89 Posts
@atrain01: Im with you, I also drive my car like I stole it. Nothing can be better than driving it hard and then seeing 29 mpg on the screen. Only difference is I am on an oil consumption test. :dancingcoolsmiley: Have fun at the trac!!!!!k

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah man, I was worried when I read that people were having issues with oil consumption.
I haven't burned any oil at all though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
818 miles so far and my oil level is perfect. the one thing I don't like is the valve noise this engine makes at idle. I guess its normal... all the youtube vids ive seen they all make that same noise.

after doing alot of reading... I'm thinking a really good set of high performance tires and a eibach sway bar will be my first mods for the track.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to "I want to ruin my brand new car" ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hondas injectors are usually loud. That's the ticking your hearing.

Drexl please I've owned a b16 92 hatch, rsx-s and an 02 Sir

Every one of them I've driven the shit out of and I have yet to blow a motor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wonder if there is anywhere like that track near me.

Sure, tracking the car is going to put some extra wear on the motor than the drive to work everyday. BUT, the honda motors can take a beating. The si engine is made for it...if anyone bought an si to drive to church on Sunday, please go back and trade it in for a non si civic.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
50 Posts
Things I would replace if I were out lapping.

1A)Change to extreme summer tires (AD08'S, XS's, star specs)
1B)change out brake pads to something better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts