9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the ILX listed on Road and Track's 12 best list for under $30k.
The reason they put it on the list, the engine and transmission, the same powertrain as the Si.

That being said I've always loved my Si and wondered why it got such poor reviews... Now the ILX gets praise for it's power train IDK?

12 Best Cars Under $30k - R&T Editors Favorite Rides - Road & Track

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
I drove the ILX and I have to admit, the interior was very nice. I'm not one of those guys who has been in a million luxury cars, cars with leather interiors, etc. but the ILX was really nice inside. Like team3d said, it's kind of an Si for grown ups. I'm gonna say the knock on the Si is that it "didn't deliver the passion of the past Si." The person buying the ILX probably isn't into modding the car like the crowd that has the Si, and it didn't deliver. Different targeted crowd therefore different review? I think that has something to do with it.

If I wanted to throw $30k at a car for speed, I'd do a nice WRX or something. If I wanted to have the fun and luxury, the ILX.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I drove the ILX and I have to admit, the interior was very nice. I'm not one of those guys who has been in a million luxury cars, cars with leather interiors, etc. but the ILX was really nice inside. Like team3d said, it's kind of an Si for grown ups. I'm gonna say the knock on the Si is that it "didn't deliver the passion of the past Si." The person buying the ILX probably isn't into modding the car like the crowd that has the Si, and it didn't deliver. Different targeted crowd therefore different review? I think that has something to do with it.

If I wanted to throw $30k at a car for speed, I'd do a nice WRX or something. If I wanted to have the fun and luxury, the ILX.

like gen 1 tsx

ilx is a great gateway car for 8th gen si owners who's getting older, need to drive a more mature car but don't wanna give up engine & suspension modification...

in my case, after factory kit, and i will be done with the exterior, then i'm saving up for supercharger or spoon sports k20a engine swap...

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
just read the article, what it's lack mention is the overall feel of the car.... ilx is solid, quite, comfy, everything you touch feels nice... when you sat in the car, you can immediate know it's a luxury car.

if you compare both on performance level, si is the winner....

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was waiting on the ILX to hit my local dealer but when I was ready to buy, it wasnt out yet. truth be told, I am in its target demo. I was 35 when I bought my Si but ive owned 2 Saabs and a BMW. But I was really let down by the fact that the tech package wasnt offered on the 2.4l version. That swayed me toward the Si. And when a silver 4 door Si navi landed on my dealer lot at the same time I went in to get repairs for the big mistake of a car I bought called a Honda Fit, I was sold.

I just dont get why everyone raves over the ilx over the tsx. The tsx is still a great car. My brother traded his accord for a 2.4l tsx and its an incredible car to drive.

Sent from MY SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 Active

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
2013 Acura ILX - Four Seasons Update - May 2013 - Automobile Magazine

This article was definitely worth reading. The ILX vs the Buick Verano Turbo tends to almost exclusively result in wins for GM - and negative marks for Acura, saying things like "While it's good, it's not great - and the price point cannabalizes sales from the TSX, and, for several thousand more than the Si, can't get a navigation unit, LSD, or as premium of an interior (yes, I think the 2013 Civic interior is better than the ILX interior, for the most part, at least when speaking on last years ILX models - they did a little 'refresh' of the ILX for 2014 I hear, as well.

I like how it looks, if its not a little plain, but boy...the price increase for a model that you can't even get a navigation unit in...but you can on the cheaper Si version? Poor business planning. I'd probably just jump up to the TSX.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Am I'm the only person that don't want navi ?

Canadian ilx 2.4 comes with tech package.

Personally I was also choosing tsx manual & ilx manual, the price is about the same ($27,000 for tsx & $26,500 for ilx)

I parallel parking 4-7 times a day & I tend to park in a very tight spaces, and when I only have 1 shot at reverse parallel, I need a small vehicle, I prefer the spacious tsx but the car is just too long. That's why I bought the ilx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
All of the ILX vs. Si articles I've read have said the Si is the better deal, and it's more of a real performance car with the LSD that's unavailable on the ILX.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I test drove the 13 Si, Accord Coupe, ILX and others. There are lots of things to like about all three of these cars and they do cater to different crowds. I was coming from a K24a2 powered EP3 that I autocrossed for 11 years. Great car but it was time to get into something more grown up. In my case, I was able to get the ILX for about $1000 LESS than an Si, so it was a straight up comparison for the most part. The Accord was really nice with lots of great features but ultimately I wanted a 4 door and the Accord Sedan was too big and heavy. That left it between the SI and ILX.

As everyone knows, the ILX gives up the LSD and Navi (more on that later) but adds things like leather, HIDS, push button start, passive key-less entry, rear camera.. and what I liked the most was the traditional dash vs the two tier. Just a personal preference but it did make a difference in my selection.

On the LSD... I think the omission of the LSD is made out to be more significant than it really is... At full throttle with the stock tires, you can spin the inside tire around some corners but there are very few instances I can think of that you would be driving that aggressive on the street. In any case, that was all solved with 225 Potenza S-04`s that added a sufficient level of traction that the motor could no longer over power the tire. In winter, I never found the LSD in my EP3 made much of a difference in traction, since it was a Torsen based system.

Navi should be included in every version of the ILX, no question.

Short story is that Honda makes some really great cars and there is more to it than just performance numbers. If that was the case, everyone on this board would be driving something else. I like the elegant, sleeper look of the ILX and with the 6 Speed it`s just so much fun to drive!

·
I Need A Vacation
13,542 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked the Acura Canada website and priced out a ILX 2.4L with Navi and it's a whopping $9K more than what I paid for my Si with Navi. That's before any manufacturer discount and haggling though but still quite a difference. Yeah I know prices here in Canada are screwed up.

Personally I prefer the nice cloth seats of the Si and LSD rather than leather seats and no LSD on the ILX if I had to choose one or the other. If it was closer in price it would be a tougher choice but here in Canada the ILX is priced in a different market.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
ilx is the cream & butter of acura canada, they don't need to give the car away & in canada...

i used to live in vancover... i know that market, compact luxury is canadian...el & csx was one of the best selling acura in canada for number of years.... on the other hand, compact luxury is new in the u.s. & they are having hard time selling it.... that's how i got the $3500 off msrp discount.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,542 Posts
ilx is the cream & butter of acura canada, they don't need to give the car away & in canada...

i used to live in vancover... i know that market, compact luxury is canadian...el & csx was one of the best selling acura in canada for number of years.... on the other hand, compact luxury is new in the u.s. & they are having hard time selling it.... that's how i got the $3500 off msrp discount.
Acura in general does very well here in Vancouver. See lots of TSX, TL, RDX, MDX on the road, ILX starting to see more and yes lots of CSX. Also Acura dealers here won't haggle much either.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Lol man I commute 120 miles a day and go all sorts of places. I like a big nav screen

Sent from MY SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 Active

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,490 Posts
Am I'm the only person that don't want navi ?
Not at all.

I parallel parking 4-7 times a day & I tend to park in a very tight spaces, and when I only have 1 shot at reverse parallel, I need a small vehicle, I prefer the spacious tsx but the car is just too long. That's why I bought the ilx
I don't park that many times a day, but I do have some tight parallel parking situations, and a small car is better than a bigger one. Often, though, I need to use spaces that are in between two driveways where even my Civic hangs over a bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked the Acura Canada website and priced out a ILX 2.4L with Navi and it's a whopping $9K more than what I paid for my Si with Navi. That's before any manufacturer discount and haggling though but still quite a difference. Yeah I know prices here in Canada are screwed up.

Personally I prefer the nice cloth seats of the Si and LSD rather than leather seats and no LSD on the ILX if I had to choose one or the other. If it was closer in price it would be a tougher choice but here in Canada the ILX is priced in a different market.
I`m Canadian and bought my ILX in Canada but I agree, prices here can be very high. I lucked out and got my ILX for $26,990.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've owned a $46k fully loaded 2010 Acura TL Type-SH. It has all the features that the ILX has and more. All in all in was a great car. Now my daily is a 2013 Si Sedan. IMO the extra 'luxury' features you get in the ILX at near $30k is not worth it because you're still a bottom feeder in the luxury pecking order and you've lost your identity and characteristics of what makes a Si a Si. I would never buy this car. The TSX or Accord makes more sense

1 - 20 of 89 Posts