9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
I've owned a $46k fully loaded 2010 Acura TL Type-SH. It has all the features that the ILX has and more. All in all in was a great car. Now my daily is a 2013 Si Sedan. IMO the extra 'luxury' features you get in the ILX at near $30k is not worth it because you're still a bottom feeder in the luxury pecking order and you've lost your identity and characteristics of what makes a Si a Si. I would never buy this car. The TSX or Accord makes more sense
Well I guess it can be argued that some people prefer a smaller footprint and still want some of the "luxury" features but on a whole I get your point.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,467 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Civic Si 4dr specs from Honda:

Headroom (in, front/rear) 37.9 / 36.2
Legroom (in, front/rear) 42.0 / 36.2
Shoulder Room (in, front/rear) 56.6 / 53.3
Hiproom (in, front/rear) 50.5 / 51.4

ILX specs from Acura:

Headroom
  • 38.0 in (964 mm): Front
  • 35.9 in (913 mm): Rear
Legroom
  • 42.3 in (1074 mm): Front
  • 34.0 in (864 mm): Rear
Hiproom
  • 50.2 in (1276 mm): Front
  • 51.7 in (1312 mm): Rear
Shoulder Room
  • 55.6 in (1412 mm): Front
  • 53.5 in (1360 mm): Rear

All in all the dimensions are pretty close.

Reactions: team3d

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Civic Si 4dr specs from Honda
adroom (in, front/rear) 37.9 / 36.2
Legroom (in, front/rear) 42.0 / 36.2
Shoulder Room (in, front/rear) 56.6 / 53.3
Hiproom (in, front/rear) 50.5 / 51.4

ILX specs from Acura:

Headroom
  • 38.0 in (964 mm): Front
  • 35.9 in (913 mm): Rear
Legroom
  • 42.3 in (1074 mm): Front
  • 34.0 in (864 mm): Rear
Hiproom
  • 50.2 in (1276 mm): Front
  • 51.7 in (1312 mm): Rear
Shoulder Room
  • 55.6 in (1412 mm): Front
  • 53.5 in (1360 mm): Rear

All in all the dimensions are pretty close.

2inch less rear legroom is the only noticeable difference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
2inch less rear legroom is the only noticeable difference.
Yes the overall passenger volume is smaller in the ILX, although they make it up for you in the truck. Basically we're counting peanuts here on the same chassis. There's only so much moving around you can do. No real advantage to either car. Taking owner testimonials are sometimes useless since not every person of the same height has the same build, leg length, and torso length.

Civic Si 4 door:

Cargo Volume (cu ft) 12.1
Passenger Volume (cu ft) 92.1
Seating Capacity 5

Acura ILX:

EPA Passenger Volume
  • 89.3 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume (SAE)
  • 12.3 cu ft: Automatic & Manual
  • 10.0 cu ft: Hybrid

So what it really comes down to is this:

1) Do you want sporty or moderate luxury?
2) If you pick luxury do you think the extra 2-4k is worth it?

How do you want your FB6 packaged? To say that one is much better than the other and to put the Si or ILX down is also really being asinine. If you're talking about pricing and how each car competes in its respective segments and price points then that's a more logical conversation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm personally a fan of less is more philosophy when it comes to cars. Purposely got an Si because it's manual, and purposely got it without Navi even though it was only like 500 dollars more (though in hindsight I kind of wish I'd gotten it for resale now)

Other than weight, all these fancy electronic gizmos on cars nowadays just give me a headache. The most I use really is my blue tooth. Then again I'm only 20 so luxury> performance isn't appealing to me yet.

Except Teslas, those things are so cool inside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm personally a fan of less is more philosophy when it comes to cars. Purposely got an Si because it's manual, and purposely got it without Navi even though it was only like 500 dollars more (though in hindsight I kind of wish I'd gotten it for resale now)

Other than weight, all these fancy electronic gizmos on cars nowadays just give me a headache. The most I use really is my blue tooth. Then again I'm only 20 so luxury> performance isn't appealing to me yet.

Except Teslas, those things are so cool inside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I used to think the same way about most technology packages on cars, but actually having the Navi and other items has changed the way I think. It's nice being able to tap a button on the steering wheel and have it select my last destination. I can do that with my phone, but then I have to find somewhere to mount it, run a USB cable from the USB charger to the phone (ugly, and potentially dangerous) and hope Google Voice isn't in a finnicky mood or I'm not in a cellphone dead zone. Oh, and I also have to unlock the phone using my swipe pattern before I can do any of that.

The same thing with Bluetooth, USB ports and SMS integration. It's awesome having it read texts to me without taking my eyes off the road. I have also found the Navigation to be surprisingly good. While Google Maps and Nokia Navigation are obviously king in terms of detail and being up-to-date, the Honda navi integrates extremely well with the iMid. I always have my next turn at eye level which is a huge perk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I parked next to an ILX today.I like em! But the price difference between the Si is a no brainer...Si all day everyday. :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I parked next to an ILX today.I like em! But the price difference between the Si is a no brainer...Si all day everyday. :eek3dancesmiley:
ilx was not made to compare it with si.... it's rival is....

#1 mercedes CLA
#2 cadillac ATS
#3 audi a3
#4 gen 2 lexus is250

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ilx was not made to compare it with si.... it's rival is....

#1 mercedes CLA
#2 cadillac ATS
#3 audi a3
#4 gen 2 lexus is250
That's true, but I think that's also why it's so troubling. Because it IS compared to the Si so frequently. The fact that people even THINK about the two in the same vein speaks volumes.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
That's true, but I think that's also why it's so troubling. Because it IS compared to the Si so frequently. The fact that people even THINK about the two in the same vein speaks volumes.
because it's the same car...

one can also argue why would anyone wanna buy civic EX-L when you can pick up base SI for the same price ?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,467 Posts
It's the stick shift.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah that's the thing. Sure you could get the SI instead of the EX-L but the EX-L is AUTO and the majority of people want auto for one of 3 reasons. 1)They are Lazy and don't want to learn the stick 2)Their brain cant wrap itself around 3 pedals and only having to feet, and cant clutch with the left foot and shift with their right had. and 3) and this one is only a small amount of people, they know how to drive a stick, they just don't want to, not out of laziness but because for them, the auto is more practical and just makes more sense right now, or they needed a new car and couldn't wait for the dealer to locate one in manual so they settled.

I find it hilarious that they are comparing the SI and the ILX side by side. They are the SAME car. Add a push button start and leather seats to the SI and you basically have the ILX. That the key difference the leather seats in the ILX and the LSD in the SI. You cant compare these cars. Its like comparing the Chevy Silverado to the GMC Sierra, its the exact same truck with a different badge.

The thing is this, most people don't know that Honda is Acura. Acura is essentially Cadillac, and Honda is Chevrolet. People see the 'H' and think cheap, and they see the 'A' and think Luxury and refinement.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, all these "luxury" items are going to cause an accident one day, and the car company is going to get sued as a result. It's all just to help stupid people drive. I have the back up camera, do I use it? No. Why? because I can see more looking through my 3 mirrors and over my shoulder. I can also move around faster and easier as a result. So to these ILX owners, you take your overly priced 30,000 dollar SI wanna be and ill continue to smile and wave in my 23,000 dollar SI.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't know that the ILX is the same car as the Civic. It's based on the same platform and the 2.4L drivetrain is the same, but we don't know about the things we can't see like I don't know, the steel used in the frame, the paint quality, or whatever. Very similar and lots of shared parts, but the same? I don't think we can make that claim.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's obviously not just a rebadging but...c'mon...it's the same car with slightly different bodywork and features. IMHO, the ILX was a product of the same 2008-2009 "the bottom just fell out and what are we going to do to keep selling cars?" attitude that produced the cost-cutting job employed on the 2012 Civic.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts