9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the independent fogs today. Basically, I want to use them as DRLs, but be able to switch them off if needed. Used the factory fog light relay(under hood fuse box), but had to relocate it outside the box. It's hidden behind that plastic trim piece next to fender. Therefore I had to run 2 wires(power to the relay & power from relay to fog lights) through holes I drilled in the side of fuse box. Ground for relay to -- battery terminal. + for relay from switch in one of the blanks to the left of steering wheel. Was undecided on what type of switch to use, browsed the web relentlessly to see what others had used. I had a bunch of those push on/ push off switches from a Subaru Legacy, including a fog light switch. Gave it a try & it works great. Fits right in the hole & even locks in place. I didn't wire the little light that comes on when fogs are on, as mine will be on 95% of the time anyway. I didn't take any pics as there are so many variations of this mod available. Thanks to all those that did this or something similar & posted the info. I used bits of info from several DIYs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
interested in pictures of fuse box and a DIY link if you have one, miss being able to turn on the fogs independently like with my old EK

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here's a couple of pics & some more info. I'm not going to repeat the info from my original post, so make sure you read it if you are trying this mod. Basically, what I did was remote mount the fog light relay. This pic of my under hood fuse box shows where I ran 2 wires, using male spade connectors to plug in to the slots where the relay was originally inserted in the fuse box. The slot that is closest to the passenger side is 12V + . The slot that is closest to center is where power(12V) needs to be transmitted to the fog lights. The ground wire for the relay(white) is visible, connecting to the neg battery terminal.
Fbox1.jpg
Here's another pic of the fuse box that I got from another(sorry don't remember who) member. He simply ran switched power to the relay slot that connects to the fog lights.
Fbox2.jpg
You can use any type of on/off switch to activate the relay. I used a push on/push off switch from a Subaru Legacy & it fit perfectly to left of steering wheel. Notice the black wire conduit that is running from top of fender to a rubber grommet, where the wire to the relay can pass thru to behind the kick panel.
SWITCH.jpg
For switched power I used a fuse tap(sometimes referred to "add a circuit") & tapped to fuse location #21(DRL). The fuse tap gives you the option of retaining the original circuit or not. I chose not to, as my Fogs will be my DRLs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you run the wire for the switch through the firewall? Does this method automatically kill the fog lights when you turn the hi beams on?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you run the wire for the switch through the firewall? Does this method automatically kill the fog lights when you turn the hi beams on?
Oops, just saw this post after I replied to your other fog light question. Refer to post#4. Not sure if you EX will be the same as my Si, but I would think that there would be a rubber grommet between the driver's door hinges where you could pass a wire thru. Then access it behind the kick panel.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It looks very similar to how a member from "9-t-h--c-i-v-i-c" installed his independent fogs.

Do the fog lights turn off automatically if you take the keys out of the ignition? Or do you have to manually turn them off? (assuming you turned them on and not running them as drl's)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks very similar to how a member from "9-t-h--c-i-v-i-c" installed his independent fogs.

Do the fog lights turn off automatically if you take the keys out of the ignition? Or do you have to manually turn them off? (assuming you turned them on and not running them as drl's)
I am running them as DRLs, but can switch them off, if desired. And yes, if the key is out of the ign switch, then the engine is off, and so are the fogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts