9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kids,

I just wanted to merge the Injen, AFE and ART Intakes for the Si into one thread. I've attached photos, the dyno charts showing the "gains" and just added a little info from the manufacturer. Feel free to have your opinion of which is best, Personally I've owned a few intakes and Injen has been my favorite and proven to perform!

1. Injen CAI : Injen's statement on this intake: "The vehicle produces a consistent 10-12Hp and 11-13TQ throughout the entire power band . We saw gains as high as 19hp and 15 tq but we don’t advertise the highest gains like some of our competitors do. I included a dynograph just to show you that. We did 3 runs with the Injen intake and 3 runs with the stock air box. Both on the same day back to back to get the most consistent results."

2. AFE Takeda Intake/Ice Box:
The all new Takeda Momentum Sealed Intake System produces up to 20HP and 18lbs. x ft. of torque over stock, while outflowing the factory intake by 42%. Unlike other Takeda intakes, this system uses a PRO 5R progressive mesh five layer filter for maximum airflow and convienence. This system uses a unique rotomolded sealed airbox designed to increase airflow using the factory ram air scoop for maximum torque in all weather situations.

3. ART SRI Intake: Sock Dyon = Peak HP and Torque, 177.7 & 165.8, With ART SRI Peak HP and Torque, 192 & 178.5

All seem to be very similar gains, Injen seems to be the most realist and the design looks smooooooooooooth! The AFE looks cool but I'm skeptical and it cost WAAAAAAY too much, Injen is cheaper. The ART Intake shows BIG gains for an SRI! To each their own. Trial and error is what it's all about. Lets all help each other out! And if your not cool with that, Well then . . . as D-Generation X would say, I have 2 words for you. . . Haha jk

Reactions: faya and mr_y82

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2. AFE Takeda Intake/Ice Box sounds better of three, but is it short ram intake, does it cause high temperature?
The AFE is considered a CAI. I'm still confused why someone would think this would out preform a true CAI like Injens. I would have to dyno both to believe it. If you look at the Injen vs the AFE you'll see Injens CAI looks less restrictive and like the air will flow smoother.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i know the AFE is available now, what about the other 2? and what about CARB?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The AFE is considered a CAI. I'm still confused why someone would think this would out preform a true CAI like Injens. I would have to dyno both to believe it. If you look at the Injen vs the AFE you'll see Injens CAI looks less restrictive and like the air will flow smoother.
well I myself would definately lean more toward the Injen setup being that I have heard alot of good things about there intakes and I like the simple setup (the only intake i have used is the AEM CAI), but until someone actually tests these out for comparison we wont know. The injen setup is very simple design but is harder to get to the filter to clean, the AFE setup is interesting on how they utilized the airbox design and improved on it (the stock setup of the Si's is like a cai but very restrictive like most stock intakes) there is alot more parts to it compared to the injen setup but it has very easy access to the filter to clean. I dont think that the afe intake will do any better then the injen intake or any worse then it so I think all it really comes down to is preference to how you want your cai to look like under the hood of your car really..

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here's my view:

Injen CAI
Pros: Most consistent gains over powerband (see dyno graph), available in 2-3 weeks, intermediate cost, sounds unmuffled
Cons: Filter will be down low (hard to clean), hydrolock possible, possible rubbing due to piping (to be determined)

Takeda Icebox (yeah let's start calling it an Icebox because that's what it is)
Pros: Filter accessible for service, still draws cold air into the engine from down low
Cons: Airflow could be affected (dyno shows good gains but its not all smooth), priciest, sounds might be muffled somewhat, 6-8 weeks out

ART SRI
Pros: Cheapest, simplest, sounds unmuffled
Cons: Heat soak, no heat shield, your traditional SRI drawbacks

Those concerned mainly about gains should look at the Injen first, while the Takeda looks promising for a more accessible setup with possibly some compromise on ultimate performance. Not sure if a pure SRI is a good idea, since the stock factory setup even draws cold air in, you get what you pay for here. Will be interesting to see how the Injen gets installed and more photos for clearance, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does anyone notice the afe dyno is on 1.8l 140hp thats what it looks like, i like this one the best but want to see dyno for si
The injens cai looks as if the radiator hose is resting on top of it

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does anyone notice the afe dyno is on 1.8l 140hp thats what it looks like, i like this one the best but want to see dyno for si
AFE doesn't have anything out for the 1.8L but their entire dyno looks low... the chart shapes seem to mimic other K24 dynos though. I believe Mustang Dynos dyno lower than a Dynojet though, which would make the peak gains pretty impressive if they are to be believed.

Look at your engine bay... that radiator hose is definitely in the way of other piping, and the stock lower air scoop is notched like crazy for proper clearance.

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Here's my view:

Injen CAI
Pros: Most consistent gains over powerband (see dyno graph), available in 2-3 weeks, intermediate cost, sounds unmuffled
Cons: Filter will be down low (hard to clean), hydrolock possible, possible rubbing due to piping (to be determined)

Takeda Icebox (yeah let's start calling it an Icebox because that's what it is)
Pros: Filter accessible for service, still draws cold air into the engine from down low
Cons: Airflow could be affected (dyno shows good gains but its not all smooth), priciest, sounds might be muffled somewhat, 6-8 weeks out

ART SRI
Pros: Cheapest, simplest, sounds unmuffled
Cons: Heat soak, no heat shield, your traditional SRI drawbacks

Those concerned mainly about gains should look at the Injen first, while the Takeda looks promising for a more accessible setup with possibly some compromise on ultimate performance. Not sure if a pure SRI is a good idea, since the stock factory setup even draws cold air in, you get what you pay for here. Will be interesting to see how the Injen gets installed and more photos for clearance, etc.
now this i agree with and with the injen just may have to use some heat wrap

·
Registered
29 Posts
We can assure you we used a Civic Si with 2.4l. We would not make a mistake on which vehicle we used.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2. AFE Takeda Intake/Ice Box sounds better of three, but is it short ram intake, does it cause high temperature?
We will list our intake air temp readings stock vs aFe. I am confident the Si owners will be very pleased. Worried about flow of a short ram? We flow 42% over stock. aFe has the testing equipment to give you all of these numbers. This was a filter designed specifically for the Si since we are not limited to choose from what's on the shelf. In other words, this intake is a custom made suit designed specifically for this car. We were not limited to shapes or tube diameter. Icebox is probably a registered name so for legal purposes, let's call it Momnetum. This is our registered name. The way the filter and airbox merge is the unique feature. No other filter would work with this kit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@aFePower - what does it sound like? do you get the satisfying whoooooooooosh when the throttle is down? and how about the vtec crossover?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@aFePower - what does it sound like? do you get the satisfying whoooooooooosh when the throttle is down? and how about the vtec crossover?
I'm curious about this as well! Any videos? And aFe thanks for the additional information!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like this is gonna turn into the mother of all intake threads :1:
Could be! It has to top my baseline and Hondata reflash dyno thread which is sitting at over 14k views and 398 responses. Haha

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i doubt that will happen and its sounding like they made this afe intake with a special filter so they can charge whatever they want for it since you cant get it anywhere else
Ha. Yeah, I don't think it will surpass the views or responses but should still be a good one.

Everyone has a different taste and to each their own. I like both of your cars! Beats my stock 4 wheel drive looking Si. Haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had this on the other thread but I will re-post it here to have a better understand of who we are and what we do. I know everybody wants sound and video. We will post this as soon as our account is setup on the forum. We also have a special code for this forum. For all of those that already ordered the intake and paid, we will be issuing you a credit. I will post that code for the 20% off web price once our account is setup with 9th Gen.
"Hi everybody. Nice to see all of the activity on the forums. We are very proud of the new civic intake designed from one of our best engineers at aFe. I am working on sponsoring this site so that i can post photos, dynos, videos, and sound clips. I hope to have the account setup properly so it doesnt get taken down. Thank you for your patience. Just to give you some history, aFe is over 13 years old now. We have a great reputation in the diesel, BMW, and sport compact markets to name a few. I have been involved in the sport compact world now for 17 years. We are also proud to produce Greddy Airinx RZ filters for Trust Japan. http://www.trust-power.com/09aircleaner/airinx_rz.html , Blitz Japan as well as for Mugen.
At aFe, we have 8 degreed engineers, we test on a flow bench, we have a Mustang dyno and recenlty a awd Dynojet. We are about 1 of 3 companies that do in-house filter production, in addition to in-house tube manufacturing, and we build our own molds. Our building is roughly 150,000 square feet and we employee 116 talented individuals. We recently released 3 new turbochargers and build our intercoolers in-house. One thing i can tell you is that we test and test and test. We are finally pleased with the results after testing for over two months. One lucky guy has been driving with the new intake for weeks now. He loves it. Loves the sound. Loves the feel. Thats what matters to aFe. The price is based off engineering hours, tooling, solidwork drawings, 3d rapid prototypes, etc. ensuring we can give you our very best. This new patent pending Momentum intake is a game changer. It's a part aFe can make without the limitiations of a tubular design intake. We can speed air up and keep it cool at the same time.
So stay tuned for audio, video, and horsepower forum members. Oh, and we dont just stop with the intake. Much more to come!!!! Thanks for reading - Ryan, Director of SBU Cars aFe"​

·
Registered
150 Posts
^^^ I want one but AFE can't ship to P.R. !!!! why ????

1 - 20 of 149 Posts