9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have touched base on this before, but here it goes... i bought a 2012 civic Si and i bought the Injen intake for it. I installed the Injen intake, install went great no problems there. i had the intake in for about 3 to 4 weeks and the i started having problems with my car. it started bucking and hesiating, but it didnt do it all the time. Sometimes, it wouldnt even rev past 3000 rpm's, and the only way to stop it was to shut the car off and wait for a few seconds. About a week later, my check engine lifght came on, my power steering, and my traction control light came on. i went to an autozone and got the my system achecked and the codes that were coming up had to deal with the mass air flow sensor( im thinking due to the install of the intake. needless to say, i removed the intake instantly and put the stock air box back in. Ater putting the stock air box back, in the problems continued. So i took the car to honda and had them check into it. one of the service techs gave me a call about a week later and said it was my vtech solenoid, so they replaced the solenoid and i received the car back from them. I got the car back on the 22 of june. the car was fine for approximately 200 miles and the problems reaccured, but like i said before they werent happening all the time. But when the problems first accured again i didnt have and warning lights, until a few days later. I was on the way home from a movie when all my lights came on again it was like my car was dead i was giving it gas, but it wouldnt go anywhere,so i turned the car off and back on and i was able to drive it again. I parked it and came out to my car the next day and the lights were all off and i was driving it for about two days and the lights stayed off, so the car is at honda now. the service tech called me and said the lights were due to the Mass air flow sensor again, so my questions are.... Can faulty reading with the mass air flow sensor affect driveability? Wouldnt the faulty codes stop once i remove the intake and replaced the stock intake? would the install of the intake affect the vtech solenoid? is there a way to damage a MAF to the point where its giving faulty readings even with the stock intake installed? its a brand new car with only 5500 miles on it, can an intake really cause this much problems with it? the help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
937 Posts
MAF sensors get's easily damaged if you knock on them too hard (IE, dropping them on the floor, loose intake pipe...), by misshandling them or if any crap gets on the meter's element... If the MAF is damaged, the car won't be driveable for sure. As for the Injen related trouble, yesterday i went to the dragstrip and a guy was having troubles with his 2012 Si... He had an aftermarket intake installed too but it wasn't a Injen CAI! The sensor was installed in a curve in the tube (A big NO NO!!) and when i checked how it behaved with my OBD2 scanner, we saw that the fuel trims were at something like -20% correction total! Not to mention the P0102 trouble code... A MAF meter must be installed in the middle of a long, straight length of pipe (at least 6'' long) to give the turbulent air a chance to normalize and allow the sensor to do it's job! Oh, and the pipe must be the same size as the sensor's housing too! Otherwise, the sensor's signal won't be accurate and the ECM will go nuts!! They are really easy to screw up!

Marko!!

Reactions: 503si

·
Registered
641 Posts
The solenoid regulates oil so I doubt the intake had anything to do with that. I have the injen intake and I just had my solenoid valve replaced two weeks ago. Brought my car to the dealership with the intake on it and they didnt say boo, replaced the solenoid under warranty and chalked it up to a faulty part from the factory. Have you checked your oil level at all? If youre oil was low you would hear the solenoid knock against the engine and you would through a CEL due to the oil not moving through the solenoid. As far as your MAFS I have no idea because I haven't had any issues with the intake. I wouldn't have even known about the solenoid had we not taken my tires off and seen a tiny oil drip coming from where the engine connects to the oil pan. I never even threw a CEL because my oil was full..Also, how many miles were on your car when you installed the intake?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The solenoid I have no idea on but I don't think the intake would effect it. The MAF on the other hand is very sensitive and easily messed up. Like if you get a little dirt in there, or like the other guy said if it was bumped hard or frequently it can cause problems. There were some issues following early models of Injen's intake where they placed the MAF location badly, if you have one of those, email them about it and they should replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy.just called me. He said the maf was damaged. He said I had damaged it by driving because when I put the stock intake back in there was a bolt missing from the stock air box, so he said as I was driving the air box was bouncing around and causing the MaF to go out of wack! And I prob had about 3500-4000 on it when i installed it. And the injen Cai has the inlet in a bend in the pipe which is probably why it was acting out of wack. So your telling me that the vtech solenoid can go due to low oil pressure? I had my vtech solenoid replaced, but its a brand new car shouod it have problems like this?

·
Registered
641 Posts
The guy.just called me. He said the maf was damaged. He said I had damaged it by driving because when I put the stock intake back in there was a bolt missing from the stock air box, so he said as I was driving the air box was bouncing around and causing the MaF to go out of wack! And I prob had about 3500-4000 on it when i installed it. And the injen Cai has the inlet in a bend in the pipe which is probably why it was acting out of wack. So your telling me that the vtech solenoid can go due to low oil pressure? I had my vtech solenoid replaced, but its a brand new car shouod it have problems like this?
From what your explaining it sounds like you should have left the injen intake on instead of switching back to the stock box. If im not mistaken that is when the MAFS went bad due to a missing bolt.. I have to imagine your solenoid is what triggered the CEL to being with and NOT the intake, and yes it would be due to low/no oil running through it. When the solenoid valve is deprived of oil it will knock against the engine. You will hear it and you will feel it from what I understand then you will throw the CEL. I didn't have this problem because my oil level was full the whole time so I never got the knocking or the CEL. I just had my solenoid replaced two weeks ago with 3400 miles on my 3 month old Si so to answer your question I don't know if a brand new car should have this problem, however with all the oil issues that people have been talking about on the fourm I wouldn't be surprised to see peoples solenoids go on a brand new car. Like I said the dealership chalked it up to a faulty part from the factory and really didn't have any explaination other than that as to why it was bad because there was oil moving through it and that's what my "oil leak" came from. This is why I'm telling you, you should check your oil level on your dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I got the solenoid replaced and the dealership fixed under warranty. My buddy has a brand new si I too, just in black and he hasn't had a single problem with his car at all and when I get my car back from the shop ill check the oil, but it just blows my mind that this would happen to a new car. I guess just a coincedence, but ill have to see if anything else goes wrong with it. It would be just my luck!

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's true lol I am a female ;o)

·
Registered
937 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
..hummmm i must agree with you pal! She's hot!!!!

Marko!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Fellas!! That guy found a girl that doesn't mind breaking a Nail on her car!! Two thumbs up for both of you!! I have a thing for girls that knows something about wrenching!!

Now guys, let's resume the topic and stop drooling about that guy's hot girlfriend!!

Marko!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts