9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of function form type 2’s on my 2015 civic si sedan and now I’ve got a front strut noise going over bumps. I checked the strut tower bolts all tight. It sounds like it’s coming from the top hat. Can u tightened the nut below the stiffness adjustment knob?? All signs are pointing towards the top hat. Also notice their is white stuff around the base of the strut tower is that normal?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did you preload the springs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn’t. The noise definitely sounds like something is loose but it’s not a metal sound.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The center nut on the strut needs to be torqued to spec.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The top hat has got white stuff forming around the center nut underneath the damper knob is that the lube for the strut?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Can u take off the adjustment without messing anything up?
I'm not familiar with those specific coilovers but I would think the knob would just pull off the stem of the strut. Then you will need to find a way to hold the strut body while you torque the nut.
Usually some type of pass through socket or some people will hit it with an impact

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not familiar with those specific coilovers but I would think the knob would just pull off the stem of the strut. Then you will need to find a way to hold the strut body while you torque the nut.
Usually some type of pass through socket or some people will hit it with an impact

I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Function told me there needs to be at least four threads showing a live the center nut. Something definitely sounds like it’s loose
Ok...did you torque the nut down yet? You don't want to drive around with a loose strut...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...did you torque the nut down yet? You don't want to drive around with a loose strut...

I haven’t yet. I’ve had several people tell me different things. Do I need to take off the damper knob to tighten the nut down? Function is telling me they don’t recommend torquing it just as long as there is 3-4 threads showing. I don’t want to damage anything by driving around with it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I haven’t yet. I’ve had several people tell me different things. Do I need to take off the damper knob to tighten the nut down? Function is telling me they don’t recommend torquing it just as long as there is 3-4 threads showing. I don’t want to damage anything by driving around with it.
How would you know how many threads are showing without removing the adjustment knob?
Can you post a picture of the top of the coilover with and without the knob?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How would you know how many threads are showing without removing the adjustment knob?

[/
1595425493937.jpeg

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Does the knob come off? You can't see the threads on the top of the strut with the knob on there.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you don't want to mess with the knob, can you at least use an open end wrench to see of you can tighten the top nut?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts