9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed fog lights into my 2013 Civic LX and now the parking lights are always on when the car is running. Even when the fog lights are off they are still always on. It obviously is something to do with the wiring. I have the red positive wire for the foglights crimped to a female connector that is attached to what I believe is the stock fog light position (See picture). Is there another spot to connect the positive to or am I out of luck?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this post is a little bit old, but maybe I can help if you haven't already solved your issue. First of all, as I always say, any suggestions here are as is and with no guarantee of accuracy, as each car can be different -- You are solely responsible for any work you do to your car -- Always check your connections, verify wiring information, and use a computer-safe digital multimeter when checking connections. Always use an appropriately sized fuse with your power connections.

As for where you are tapping in with that wire at the fuse box, I have no idea what that socket or terminal is for. When you disconnect your wire, do the parking lights go out and act normal (only going on with the parking light/head light switch) again? If so, then something appears to be back-feeding from your fog lights wiring to that terminal and causing the issue. I would not use that terminal at all.

I imagine that you mounted a switch inside the car to turn the fog lights on and off, meaning that you already ran at least one wire from under the hood to the passenger compartment, right? With almost everything I have installed in my car, for anything that I only want to have working when the car is on, I get the power (to hook to the positive connection of accessories that I install) from the wire that powers the cigarette lighter/power-point socket in the console. It's not too difficult to get back there to get to that wire. On my car (again, yours may be different), right on the cover for that power-point socket, it says maximum power allowed is 180 watts. At 12 volts, that is 15 amps, which is quite a bit. Check the specs for your fog lights, but I bet they draw less than 15 amps. Of course, if your fog lights are rated as drawing more than 15 amps (or even a little less, because the electrical system can also run at about 14 volts, at which point 180 watts would only require about 12.8 amps), then don't use this wire -- but I doubt your fog lights are rated for that much current or power -- again, check their specs.

While that power-point socket wire should be factory/OEM fused and protected, you still want to wire your own fuse in line with your fog lights power wire. In other words, hook the fuse to the power-point socket wire, then hook your fog lights to your fuse. Use a fuse that is the same current rating as the fog lights. The fog lights may even come with their own fuse that you can use. I would do this because if the wiring for your fog lights is rated for less current than the OEM wiring for the power-point socket, if something went wrong, there would be a chance of your fog lights wiring being damaged and even a possible fire hazard if you did not use such a dedicated fog lights fuse as I described above. Additionally, if something went wrong with your fog lights wiring, it would likely only blow that fog lights fuse without blowing the OEM fuse for the power-point socket. This way, you could still use your power point socket for a GPS, phone charger, radar detector, or whatever until you get a chance to fix your wiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts