9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Installed K&N Typhoon in my '12 Si

13K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Dmac 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line

please excuse the shitty wire job for the amp. not my doing and will zip tie it soon.

Was a pretty easy install, however, getting the connection from the stock part of the intake onto the typhoon was a bitch.

My suggestion for anybody doing install is to remove battery and part of the stock intake tube to connect the 2 pieces then put stock tube back into place.
The k&n connection is round but the stock portion is slightly oval so you have to be careful putting it on.

Anyway I haven't noticed any power increase per se. I know it's def a lot louder when I push on the throttle, and whenever I'm at 3.5k it starts to get louder as well.

Luckily when at cruising speed it's not any louder than stock which is nice. no drone :eusa_dance:

I just filled up and I'll let you know how my mileage is after. I don't drive a whole lot so it may be a bit haha.

Anyway let me know what you think, any questions etc.

See less See more
#6 ·
Its a kick ass system. Had same issue with plastic tube. Put grease on it, some super slippery 0W20 oil and eventually filed down the barb a tiny tiny bit as need this to hold clamp in place albeit not under boost so doable. I love the sound, butt dyno feels it but like trying to see if 0W20 oil gets better mpg than say a 15W50, good luck! ;)

#7 ·
It's a great intake I have one on my 2013 SI, defiantly a throaty noise if you press the throttle between 2000-3000 RPM, only issue I had with it is the loss of low end torque around 1600-2200 RPM, eventually I got a tune which fixed all of its drive-ability issues.

Do you notice this at all? its really noticeable in 6th if your at around 1800 RPM and have the throttle really pressed it feels like the engine is braking for a split second then comes back.

#10 · (Edited)
Was that from the K&N website? I was able to find this thread again where Vit did a comparison, this is what I was talking about,

Text Line Technology Slope Electronic device

I had ran without a tune for 5 months with the intake alone and honestly I never noticed anything weird besides the rare occurrence of that 1800 torque drop, I was addicted to the sound lol

#14 ·
Your link wasn't entered properly. No Pic.

I have a Takeda SRI on my 2006 SI and love it. The CAI's vented at the foglight level input is just to scray for me to do with my high speed commute. I love my Rain-X and new tires so I am not slowing down in rain for anything. If I had heat soak I can't tell. I am typically at high speeds not city driving.

Love the sounds of these SRI's. Reminds me of the 1970 Chevelle cowl inducts on the LS-6's that open with the secondaries. Or a good 2-stroke dirt bike when you hit the powerband.

May be more of a fun mod then performance but I can't help but put it before Flashpro just because it is so amusing.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I just Installed one of these on my car today. As far as power, I can't really tell a difference. It really is a lot louder however, really like the new sound. And the vtec sounds much more aggressive now.

And just a FYI when you disconnect the battery on a 14 you do have to enter a security code for the radio.

#21 ·
It comes with the sticker in the packing, if im not mistaken. I'd have to double check to be sure. I love the sound of the VTEC crossover due to it being more prominent, however That's all the difference I see. Once my exhaust gets here and its installed...then my sedan will get its tune and poor thing will sit for 6.5 months while I deploy :thumbsdown:

#20 · (Edited)
I had one on my 2010 V6 Accord, gas mileage was better but according to my mechanic the Mass Air Sensor cannot calculate (fuel ratio to air intake) above a certain reading threshold so the car actually runs a bit leaner on gas (hence the mileage increase) and the torque convertor suffers over time and in my opinion the car produces less power, at least that's what it felt like to me....especially in the higher RPM's. I wont be installing a K&N on my Si, nice sound, but that's about it.....

#22 ·
I have the HPS silicone tube installed now. Looks good. Did nothing for sound or power.

I've been back and forth for months on the K&N Typhoon. I want the sound, don't care about power gains, but I'm slightly worried about any losses or long term issues it will cause. I'm do mixed city driving, mostly stop and go... 30-50 mph range in my daily commute. Lots of other threads talk about heat soak, etc. Not sure how I feel about an oiled filter either.

So how does K&N advertise a 10HP increase on the dyno when everyone says there is no power gain?

#23 ·
that 10hp power gain from K&N is pure bullshit.. like most power gain from almost all air intakes. The thing is. i have the same SRI and i was worried for a while about the same reasons ... Even put it for sell for quite a long time with bunch of offers (even the price i was asking) ... but i just ... couldnt... sell... dunno... why.. and then removed it to try back with the original air box.. MEH that's all i needed to do. That K&N intake is one of the best sound wise. and its gonna stay on my car.. i dont care about anything else! Period.

#24 ·
Will this fit 2015 Si Coupe? I have a muffler delete but am looking for more noise. Currently I have a deep throaty sound and I want to keep it that way and increase the sound level. Absolutely not trying to get a higher pitch. Anybody know if this will work for me?

#25 ·
hit up youtube and see if anyone has done it, that's what I did when it came to all my mods and tried finding the DIY's associated with each mod. It takes a little bit, but if you get a bite you might be able to do before and afters!

#29 ·
Not sure who you were replying to but no one here is saying that K&N makes a bad filter, as far as I can tell. Personally I was just saying a short ram intake is pointless - why suck in hot air when you could suck in cold air from the stock intake? I myself have the PRL cold air intake with a K&N filter and I love it.

I can't say exactly what Dmise was getting at, but it seems implied he's referring to the short ram intake as whole, not the filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.