9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Honda to ask if it was possible to install the factory nav unit on a non-nav car and they told me they couldn't do it because they had no tech specs on doing the conversion. So for anyone that has done headunit work on this car, does anyone know how difficult it would be to simply buy the factory nav unit and swap out the non-nav headunit for it? That way I could keep the steering wheel controls and iMid functions. I dont see how it would be that hard but Honda can't answer my question about it. Thanks to anyone that can help!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I called Honda to ask if it was possible to install the factory nav unit on a non-nav car and they told me they couldn't do it because they had no tech specs on doing the conversion. So for anyone that has done headunit work on this car, does anyone know how difficult it would be to simply buy the factory nav unit and swap out the non-nav headunit for it? That way I could keep the steering wheel controls and iMid functions. I dont see how it would be that hard but Honda can't answer my question about it. Thanks to anyone that can help!
I work for Honda, not a tech but in the retail side. I get the question thrown at me almost everyday.
Honestly the cost to do a factory Nav unit install is ENORMOUS. You can honestly get a nice after market unit, and still keep your radio control and I-mid steering wheel functions.
I would go this route honestly.

sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work for Honda, not a tech but in the retail side. I get the question thrown at me almost everyday.
Honestly the cost to do a factory Nav unit install is ENORMOUS. You can honestly get a nice after market unit, and still keep your radio control and I-mid steering wheel functions.
I would go this route honestly.

I thought that we loose iMid with aftermarket headunits?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought that we loose iMid with aftermarket headunits?
I am in the same boat as you. From what I can determine, the iMiD will continue to function for all the non-radio/audio functions with an after-market head unit. In other words, the iMiD will still provide information for the clock, fuel mileage, and trip odometer. You will lose the display of the radio station, source, fader/tone controls, etc, on the iMid.

With the proper head-unit and wiring harness, my understanding is that the functionality of the steering wheel controls (volume, source, etc) can be maintained and thus carried over to control the after-market head-unit, although there are some reports of the buttons having a delay effect with this feature. Depending upon the system and the relay involved, this "delay effect" can be on the order of a second, which is a long time to *wait* to see if a momentary button push *took* or not. Another complaint is -- again with some set-ups -- the steering wheel controls must be held for a second or two to get the effect to engage.

The "aux input" (near the cigarette lighter) and the USB input (in the center console) will most likely be disabled, unless you go to other efforts to somehow splice these functions in.

That is all I have learned thus far.

It is really frustrating that Honda has left us 2012 Civic owners out to dry -- they really should be more helpful and forth-coming about selling up-grade parts (i.e., the NAV system, etc).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I c, well as long as I can get the steering wheel functions to work, im good....I dont really care if my iMid doesnt tell me what station im on...I only use it for fuel economy and clock anyway. Anyone know what the best steering wheel control adapter is?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
There is an optional wiring harness any professional audio installation place will have that will allow for all the buttons on the steering wheel to work. The only function that will not work is the factory Bluetooth buttons. But any good headunit you buy will obviously offer Bluetooth.
Maybe someone has already figured a way to incorporate the factory Bluetooth buttons, but I personally haven't seen it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did anyone ever successfully do this? I have the opportunity to buy a nav unit with all cables and antenna for a pretty good price and I was just curious how bad the install is.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can easily do a factory navigation conversion in your Civic. Contact this eBay seller and he will make you a custom wiring harness that will plug into the factory navigation head unit to make the installation easy.

Honda Element Civic CRV Fit Insight Navigation System Kit Easy to Install | eBay
Im gonna check this out. I have been looking into to doing this since I bought my car. I wanted one with navi so bad but they didn't have any. On the link it says it comes with everything. It can't be that hard right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
This wont answer your question, but... I have an Si with nav. The nav system is not great - it's ok. It's the same system Honda/Acura has been using for almost 10 years. To me it's not worth the money to retrofit it. Just use your smartphone. Much better experience as far as navigation goes.

Edit: A better retrofit would be to install the 2014 system. It's probably much better and has phone integration.

·
Registered
69 Posts
damn its that easy to do a retrofit on these cars? geeze when i had an 08 civic Si, man to do the retrofit, the things i had to do.... i had bought a pigtail harness off of a navi head unit, with that i plugged it in to the navi i was installing, then i had to find the wiring harness from the navi harness pigtail, and the wiring harness to my stock non navi. they were different harness' but the same, they were different because the pin locations were a lot different. in theory you could of taken out the pins and re arrange them in order of the navi's harness... i just ended up splicing my stock non navi harness from the pigtails to my harness.... easy, but a pain in the ass, such a meticulous long process, and when we did this to my ex gfs Si, she said that on hard bumps, the audio would cut out, lol oh well :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not hard at all with his custom wiring harness. I did the same conversion in my 2003 Accord. He included everything and the wiring harness made it plug-and-play. I only had to splice three wires into existing wires on the ECM. It will be much easier with the Civic because everything is in the head unit. The Accord had a DVD-ROM/Navi drive that had to be installed into the trunk. When I bought my '13 Civic, I made sure it had Navi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A better experience with a smart phone? It is a map, and people use it to get to an unfamiliar destination. The Honda Navi is the best OEM on the market. Too much eye candy is distracting and you do not want distractions when driving and trying to find a location. Why would anyone want to use the small screen on a smart phone when they can use the larger screen in the dash with audio prompts through the stereo, with automatic music muting? Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone, and Navi eats up the data.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if this has been answered but I just helped a friend of mine install the OEM nav unit in his 2013 Civic Si. The kit came 90% plug n play from eBay seller: acurahondaexpert

He has nearly 3,000 reviews and all are 100% positive.

Everything works as normal. The nav unit also came with the OEM carbon fiber look bezel.

The nav voice control is behind the glove box at the top. You have to open the pin lock on the connector and push pins 17 and 18 inside the connector...

Behind the tach in the dash, you will need to tap into the red and white wires. 19 and 20 on the connectors. There are 2 white wires; be sure to tap the correct one. The wires are labeled on all connectors i.e 1, 2, 3, and so on.

This is so that the Trip will display on the nav unit...

There will be one more wire behind the nav unit from the factory harness that needs to be tapped. It is the white wire on the main connector that has the white swivel type lever. This is for 12v supply. This is the only connector that isn't labeled that comes with the pre made wire harness from the eBay seller.

Thats it! The rest is plug in play!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I spent a ton of time on researching this and decided the hardest part was sourcing the connectors and pins to make the harness.

If you look at the pictures of the added pins above, you can see the crimps and labels look very good. I've been doing this type of work as a hobby for many years, and this looks like quality work to me.

I just ordered the same harness for my retrofit from Martin (acurahondaexpert). I had everything except the harness, so he is just making me the harness.

I'm taking a 2012 Candian Civic Si Navigation unit and installing into my 2013 US Civic Si sedan. Everything should work except the 2012 didn't have the rear view camera so I'll only get the camera on the i-mid but not on the navigation display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9th Gen Nav into 8th possible?

Hi there,

Is it possible to use 2014-15 navigation on an 8th gen civic? I was thinking of getting the parts from a salvaged car and get it installed in my 2008 civic. If that's possible (not sure if the size of '14 nav would fit '08??), will the reverse camera function also work?

Cheers,
Sd

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't consider putting any navigation system newer than the 2013 model's into an 8th gen, because of bezel fitting issues. A system from a 2011 or earlier would be the easiest retrofit. These would be less expensive and would at least get you the USB connector. I'm not sure about hands free (bluetooth).

The 2013 navigation system has a 7-pin connector that would allow you to input a rear camera if you had the correct connector, while the 2012 and earlier navi does not have that connection for the rear camera.

You also have premium and non-premium versions of the systems to consider.

Connector and circuit matching issues between generations would become very difficult for even the best electrical technician to tackle.

Much of the function of newer Civics is done inside the i-mid screen and not in the navigation or audio unit directly which adds to the complexity. For example, the usb connection on the back side of 2012+ navigation systems are only used for navigation map upgrades, not connecting flash drives or ipods. The music is inputted directly to the i-mid, and is decoded there and sent over a data bus to the navigation unit.

I've spent many hours using Honda's technical info site, just to get a same generation system to retrofit. I suspect that what you want to do is extremely difficult.

If you do decide to put a navigation system make sure the unit you buy has the "security code" included as you most likely will have trouble getting the code from Honda.

Also buy a unit that has all the connectors (pigtails) still attached to the unit. Most units you will see on eBay have neither the security code nor the connectors included.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts