9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P2R Intake Manifold Heat Gasket im thinking of buying but cant find any DIY for it. Anyone put one on their car? How hard is it and how do you do it please. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i was looking in my car the other day and for us SI guys it is kinda weird cuz right between the cylinder head and the intake manifold(plastic) there are runners for all four intakes that are cast aluminum that look like is a seperate piece from the intake and the cylinder head, weird they would do that

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
i was looking in my car the other day and for us SI guys it is kinda weird cuz right between the cylinder head and the intake manifold(plastic) there are runners for all four intakes that are cast aluminum that look like is a seperate piece from the intake and the cylinder head, weird they would do that

It is a 2 piece manifold, the aluminum part is where the injectors and fuel rail mounts. Then the plastic part is in between the throttle body and the aluminum piece of the manifold. But the way it looks to me is that the runners aren't very straight and aren't really very effective IMO. that's why I am doing the rbc IM because its one piece with shorter runners and a more direct airflow. Now as for a DIY you are going to have to remove the intake, throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, and the manifold itself (both pieces) to change the IM gasket. And depending on the clearance issues like I had with the k20 you may have to remove your power steering belt and pump to be able to slide the aluminum piece of the manifold away from the head, but I wouldn't take those off unless you couldn't get the manifold off any other way.

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
It's almost the same as the k20 and I have done it on that but ill be changing my manifold and gasket whenever they get done boring it and it gets here so probably next week I will be able to give you an answer that is 100% but that you do have to remove the rest of that stuff for sure and IMO its not worth changing the gasket if your not going to change the manifold itself because its not a process that I would want to do more than once

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the there is no power steering pump that the belt turns, the power steering pumps on the new civic are all electric. and to get the whole manifold off the top bar that is part of your frame that is right in front of your intake manifold pops out just by unbolting it so you can get at the intake manifold better, i got a vid here its the FN2 but same idea on removing it

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Your right I forgot its not hydraulic anymore lol but it should slide right off once the TB and fuel rail n shit are off and ya you could unbolt that upper radiator mount/hood latch mount to make it easier if you wanted. I was thinking of my k20a2 when I was talking about the power steering belt and shit cause once I unbolted everything else the manifold wouldnt slide off the studs cause the power steering pump was in the way

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Reactions: Digger

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
yes... you'll still lose coolant though.... you have to take the aluminum runners off to put the gasket on.... the coolant hose is attached to it... but coolant will run out of the holes in the head... look at the holes on the plastic manifold piece lol do you see anything odd?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Are you talking about the shape of the coolant hole? It sounds like I should wait until I do an RBC upgrade to install the thermal gasket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are you talking about the shape of the coolant hole? It sounds like I should wait until I do an RBC upgrade to install the thermal gasket.

That's what I would do if I were you. Just wait till rbc. You won't wanna take everything back off to put rbc on after just swapping a gasket.

The 4 holes on plastics intake are different sizes lol don't know why Honda did it that way.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you want to do the gasket just use my DIY on RBC. You can use it as a guide line of taking it all apart. Just reverse what you do to put it back together. Don't use RTV until you do the RBC though. No sense.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the there is no power steering pump that the belt turns, the power steering pumps on the new civic are all electric. and to get the whole manifold off the top bar that is part of your frame that is right in front of your intake manifold pops out just by unbolting it so you can get at the intake manifold better, i got a vid here its the FN2 but same idea on removing it

Great Video, thanks for the post. This however does not look like an install for a rookie!

What are the key benefits to a new intake manifold?
How many more horses are we looking at after a tune?
Where are the powerband improvements felt with our '12 Si's?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Great Video, thanks for the post. This however does not look like an install for a rookie!

What are the key benefits to a new intake manifold?
How many more horses are we looking at after a tune?
Where are the powerband improvements felt with our '12 Si's?
PRL has a kit that makes it much easier than the first way some of us did.

Key benefit is more air. Flows a lot better.

Don't know the exact increase of HP for just the intake but people with rbc, full exhaust, intake and tune usually are making 218-225 easily.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
PRL has a kit that makes it much easier than the first way some of us did.

Key benefit is more air. Flows a lot better.

Don't know the exact increase of HP for just the intake but people with rbc, full exhaust, intake and tune usually are making 218-225 easily.

Cool, thanks.

Well I have intake, exhaust & tune. Once the downpipe is released I will have that too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts