9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
@ADExternal - Didn't realize he had the LX.

@Kapoee09 - Yeah I guess you can call it a custom short ram intake.

@hpengineprep - I took out the cotten from the stock filter and put the frame of the filter in because the air box won't seal up right without one in. I tried without it and it almost seemed like there was a miss-fire.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That looks dope!
I have a r18 and I'm wondering also

FB2 squad #17

·
Registered
407 Posts
I took some pictures of the removed intake resonator for those who want to check it out. Its a pretty restrictive setup. The whole system has a lot of sharp bends, which decreases airflow. It aslo has what is called a hydrocarbon adsorber which draws in any raw gas that may have evaporated in the intake manifold and is still there when the engine is shut down. There is a sort of snorkel trumpet thing which is supposed to pipe engine music into the cabin. I think it sounds better when it is off.

I left parts 8,9, and 10 on mine. It draws in air right next to the front wheel inside the engine compartment. I think this is better than drawing it in higher because it is not behind the radiator. The stock filter should not be causing a restriction. I wish I had the time to dyno the stock system and the system in it's current configuration. I bet it will be close to what is available on the market. It would be nice if someone made a blow molded snorkel than would pick up cold air from under the car, out of the way of the radiator and anything else that is hot. It would be cheap too since it would be a single piece. It would have the advantage that it would still use the stock airbox and filter. You wouldn't have to worry about setting codes due to fuel trim numbers being out of spec.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is the reason I don't like short ram intakes. I think they can sound really good, and they make good power on the dyno when the hood is up. They even make good power when you are moving on the freeway. The thing that happens around town though is when you are sitting at a stop light idling, and the cooling fan is running, and the engine is heat soaking, the intake air temps are rising. When you start moving again, the air flow cools down a bit pretty quick. What most people don't realize is that when you are sitting idling and the air temps are rising, the computer is richening up the mixture and retarding the timing. This is prevent the engine from getting hot and helps reduce oxides of nitrogen. When the computer starts seeing air temps going back down, it does not lean out the mixture or advance the timing immediately, it can take a minute of so. You could eliminate this algorithm if you could reverse engineer the firmware but few people are able to this. At Dinan Engineering we were able to eliminate this rich mixture/retarded timing in race Mini's we tuned. What would happen is when there was a yellow flag and everyone was slowed, the timing would get retarded and the fuel mixture would richen. Ours did not do that so when the race started up again, our cars were able to pull on the other ones because they had considerably more power, if only for 30 seconds or so. Definately enough to pass a few cars.

A cold air intake pulls the air from outside the engine compartment so it doesn't have this problem. Most of the gains I have seen on short rams are hood-open dyno runs which do not simulate the real world. It's called bench racing. Just my .02¢

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did this myself a few days ago. I was amazed how much crap was in there. As far as a DIY, I removed the driver wheel just to make access easier. Pop all the plastic pin clips out from at least the front half of the fender liner. Then you'll see all the black plastic tubing for the intake. There are a couple of the same plastic pin clips for the tube along the top of the fender. There are three 10 mm bolts (I think..) that hold parts of the intake in the area in front of the wheel. I left the tube all the way to the wheel well while I think of what I'm going to do in the end.

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
I have mine removed along with the reflash..resonator removal is by far the best free mod you can do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
158 Posts
I tried removing the rest of the tubing but I couldn't figure out how to get it out, I removed the battery and its tray but still couldn't get it out I think I need to try and remove the wheel liner and get it out from there.

FB2 squad #10

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Think I might do this weekend. All this talk lately. For a free mod that adds sound and maybe throttle response...I can go for that.

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
I tried removing the rest of the tubing but I couldn't figure out how to get it out, I removed the battery and its tray but still couldn't get it out I think I need to try and remove the wheel liner and get it out from there.

FB2 squad #10
I removed everything beyond the inlet that's inside the wheel well, behind the fender liner.

·
Registered
181 Posts
DSCF2783.jpg DSCF2782.jpg

Just thought I would share mine also. I took out all the pipe right up to the air box and put a cone on it. I guess it would be a short ram intake. Has a nice growl.

·
Registered
99 Posts
LOL this is exactly what i was trying to do about a month ago on my R18 (one week of ownership). my wife came home and saw me under the car, battery and tray laying next to me, and tools scattered about."WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! YOU JUST GOT IT!!!" hahahahahad some trouble removing the splash gaurd with the wheel still on, but got real close. i settled for removing just the elbow that goes out of the airbox to the resonator. makes a better growl on acceleration, but hpengineprep's post makes sense.and now that im deployed, my wife says when she is driving the car and stomps on it, my daughter covers her ears. : (i told her where the piipe is and it just pops right back on.no low-buck intake mods for me. but hey on the plus side, my ride will stay quiet and cozy. ; )

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a DIY but I still cant post it because I've already exceeded picture upload amount a long time ago to upload. Best I can do is reference a pic from another site for you.

Thanks for the reference, so the part #10 can be separated from the resonator and its tubing. maybe that's the reason I couldn't get the tubing out, I tried to remove it a one piece:banghead:

FB2 squad #10

·
Registered
50 Posts
Request: Removing intake resonator

As the title says I'd like to know how to remove my resonator.
I'd GREATLY appreciate pictures and step-by-step instructions.

It's a LX Sedan!
with fog lights btw

Also would this void or "effect" my warranty in any way?
As in "may cause problems", "could be blamed for tampering, thus they wont repair a problem I might get"

Thanks in advance!

21 - 40 of 122 Posts