9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my iPod almost religiously in my new car since I've never been able to. Lately I've noticed that when listening, the volume would change slight amounts, that or either the audio moves towards all the front speakers. At first I thought it was the song, but it did the same thing on a different album.

I haven't noticed it when listening to the radio, so I'm hoping it's an iPod issue? It's really annoying and kind of hard to explain. PLEASE don't let this be a car issue! Anyone else have this happen? Or something similar?

I went into the iPod settings and enabled the Sound Check to see if that will do anything on my next drive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would definitely check the songs in iTunes. Look at the Channels and see if it says mono or stereo. I would try re-importing an album, without overwriting the original, so you can see if that fixes the problem.

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
maybe you are accidently pressing the volume controls on your wheel bro. if not, then its something with your ipod. and there is an option to move the audio towards the front speakers or vice versa, but thats in the settings so unless you touch it, it shouldnt be moving up to the front speakers or back speakers on its own. try going back into itunes as Couper EX-L stated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
that weird i just started to have this problem yesterday. Im thinking its the connection or ipod. cause when i took the USB out and then reconnected worked fine but then this morning it started to do it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that weird i just started to have this problem yesterday. Im thinking its the connection or ipod. cause when i took the USB out and then reconnected worked fine but then this morning it started to do it again.
Yea I listened to my iPod coming home from work today. Listened to the same album that I did the other day that started giving me problems. The first song started for about 15 seconds, then the screen said "USB Loading...", then it picked it back up again. At one point it didn't display the album art, so i disconnected and re-connected the iPod. I hope this isn't a connection issue within the car. Maybe Honda threw in some cheap USB cable?

It seems as though if I bring the iPod with me into work, rather than leaving it in the car, it works better. But whenever I leave the iPod in the car the volume goes crazy or something.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and I also checked the songs in iTunes, they are all Stereo MP3s with a 256 kbps bitrate. Maybe I should re-encode them to AAC? Apples natural format?

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
do you constantly remove the white ipod cable from the black one everytime you leave the car and have it loose at times?? i personally, just leave it attached to the black one from the civic and unplug my ipod only and plug it back in everytime. works fine for me :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
This problem concerns me though I haven't experienced it first hand. The thought of dealing with this issue doesn't sound like fun, especially since the iPod is THE source of my car tunes.

Maybe checking to make sure the iPod has the latest software version will help.

Hey gf1723, I would re-encode one album to AAC and see if that makes any difference. Hopefully there are no connection issues with the Civic's USB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
are you on dynamic sounds for your audio settings in the car? does the volume increase when you drive faster and lower when you slow down? the 8thgen si's have that volume option. should be in the setting where you adjust base and trebel

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I have experienced the exact same thing yesterday, but playing music from a thumb drive...

Volume would go up and down randomly. Subtle but still noticeable. I haven't troubleshooted that much yet, but it's enough to be really annoying. For the record, I don't notice that on the FM stations.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually, D_For_David was right... The SVC (Speed-sensitive Volume Compensation) setting is what got me. I had played with it initially, not really knowing what it did... According to the manual:

The SVC has four modes: OFF, LOW, MID, and HIGH.
SVC adjusts the volume level based on the vehicle
speed. As you go faster, audio volume increases. As
you slow down, audio volume decreases.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, D_For_David was right... The SVC (Speed-sensitive Volume Compensation) setting is what got me. I had played with it initially, not really knowing what it did... According to the manual:
To be honest, I don't believe this was it...I was driving at a constant speed and noticed it. I think it was just a bad connection to the iPod. I haven't been able to produce the problem again.

I actually haven't even been through the audio settings yet, man I still have so much more to discover on this new car! I think I'm going to find a good iMID wallpaper and mess with that this evening, since I don't have anything better to do on a Friday night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To be honest, I don't believe this was it...I was driving at a constant speed and noticed it. I think it was just a bad connection to the iPod. I haven't been able to produce the problem again.

I actually haven't even been through the audio settings yet, man I still have so much more to discover on this new car! I think I'm going to find a good iMID wallpaper and mess with that this evening, since I don't have anything better to do on a Friday night.
With all due respect, wouldn't a USB connection problem cause the music to stop/start? We are talking about a digital protocol here, where bits are either transmitted, or not. If it were analog, than I would agree a connection problem could do this, but I might be wrong (I have been in the past) :)

The variable volume thing is a mess, I intentionally tried it again yesterday, and it either doesn't work at all, or works at odd times (stopped at a traffic light, driving constant speed, etc).

Check your settings, I'm curious to know if that feature was turned on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With all due respect, wouldn't a USB connection problem cause the music to stop/start? We are talking about a digital protocol here, where bits are either transmitted, or not. If it were analog, than I would agree a connection problem could do this, but I might be wrong (I have been in the past) :)

The variable volume thing is a mess, I intentionally tried it again yesterday, and it either doesn't work at all, or works at odd times (stopped at a traffic light, driving constant speed, etc).

Check your settings, I'm curious to know if that feature was turned on.
Sorry for the delay in the response, but it seems all is well. I checked last week, and by default the variable volume thing was set to Auto or whatever. I turned it off and haven't had an issue since! Glad everything is in working order!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with D for David, that's a pretty common option in most new cars. I usually turn it off it's only really useful / practical when your driving with the windows open and the sound of the wind starts to over power your music.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Read through the thread and first thing I thought was the auto volume needs to be turned off. Anyway, I'm commenting about how you sometimes leave your iPod in the car. I'm not sure where you live, but even just high 80* weather will bring the interior temperatures to those unfriendly temperatures for any iPod. Also practice disconnecting and reconnecting the docking cable while the car is completely off. Since it provides charging/running power to your iPod, spikes from such connecting and reconnecting can ultimately harm your device.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2006 Civic had the SVC feature, which I left at high at all times. Never a problem. The 2012 Civic has this problem from all sources. Could this be something bigger? Doctor Doctor it hurts when I walk, then don't walk is not a solution. Reading in several threads this problem seems to have surfaced several times, that's how I found this forum. I have read people have had them replace radios etc. I don't want to run to my honda guy telling them what to do, heck they are the experts not I! Does anybody have any insight as to what it might be? Above all sources means Radio, CD, USB, and music from my IPHONE4. Also 2006 had high and low, the 2012 has 4 settings, SVC Software?

Thanks,

Glad I found this site, Bob!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts