9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
What do you mean by 'good?' What are you hoping to accomplish?

·
Registered
359 Posts
All the 3" exhausts seem to be good quality wise. N1 and Skunk 2 RR look the best I think, but I went with Full Race 3" because the N1 and RR are very loud.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Unless you're going to be doing a FI build there's really no reason to get a 3" exhaust over a 2.75. Invidia makes quality products but two things to note: The midpipe hangs very low, so if you're lowered the exhaust will scrape. Also, the gaskets seem to rust out pretty early.

The N1 is very loud and 4 cylinders rarely sound good with loud exhausts. I'd focus on intake sound over exhaust sound. But if you're 18 and you just want to be loud, the N1 will be plenty loud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you're going to be doing a FI build there's really no reason to get a 3" exhaust over a 2.75. Invidia makes quality products but two things to note: The midpipe hangs very low, so if you're lowered the exhaust will scrape. Also, the gaskets seem to rust out pretty early.

The N1 is very loud and 4 cylinders rarely sound good with loud exhausts. I'd focus on intake sound over exhaust sound. But if you're 18 and you just want to be loud, the N1 will be plenty loud.
Which intake do you recommend?

·
Registered
359 Posts
+1 on 2.75/3" not making different power. It's looks and sound. Downpipe and axle back (for looks) may be a good combo? YouTube has nearly every exhaust set-up, see what you like. Keep in mind, videos don't do justice for drone, and drone is not fun.

Intake, personally I'd go with a short ram. Its going to make less power, but I like the look and sound.

Intakes almost always require a tune. I mean that, many of them the car won't run without a tune, so you may end up spending $600 on a intake, $600 on hondata. Some may run, but it's going to alter how your MAF reads air. I've gotten a check engine light from replacing my dirty intake filter when I was stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 on 2.75/3" not making different power. It's looks and sound. Downpipe and axle back (for looks) may be a good combo? YouTube has nearly every exhaust set-up, see what you like. Keep in mind, videos don't do justice for drone, and drone is not fun.

Intake, personally I'd go with a short ram. Its going to make less power, but I like the look and sound.

Intakes almost always require a tune. I mean that, many of them the car won't run without a tune, so you may end up spending $600 on a intake, $600 on hondata. Some may run, but it's going to alter how your MAF reads air. I've gotten a check engine light from replacing my dirty intake filter when I was stock.
Wat exhaust doesn’t you recommend then for more power?

·
Registered
860 Posts
You're not going to make any power with just a catback exhaust. There's more available information on how to make power with a 9th gen civic Si than there is on most Roman emperors. You really just need to do your own research before you go spending money.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You're not going to make any power with just a catback exhaust. There's more available information on how to make power with a 9th gen civic Si than there is on most Roman emperors. You really just need to do your own research before you go spending money.
Something newer members seem incapable of....

·
Registered
13 Posts
What type of intake do you recommend?
I’d Acuity Instruments or Hybrid Racing cold air intakes. If you don’teven have a Hondata or K-Tuner, then buy that first!! The Hondata or K-Tuner will give you a bit of performance increase alone! They even come with some off the shelf tune maps to get you started.

Don’t waste your time or money on an exhaust before you get a tuning solution and proper CAI. FIRST! Skip the AEM and DC CAIs. They’re trash and will not make power. If it doesn’t require a tune, it will not yield power increase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’d Acuity Instruments or Hybrid Racing cold air intakes. If you don’teven have a Hondata or K-Tuner, then buy that first!! The Hondata or K-Tuner will give you a bit of performance increase alone! They even come with some off the shelf tune maps to get you started.

Don’t waste your time or money on an exhaust before you get a tuning solution and proper CAI. FIRST! Skip the AEM and DC CAIs. They’re trash and will not make power. If it doesn’t require a tune, it will not yield power increase.
Wats AEM and DC mean?

·
Registered
13 Posts
AEM & DC are manufactures names. I put them out there for an example. AEM Performance, and DC Racing are their names. I would stay away from them if you want true performance difference! I’m running Hybrid Racing cold air intake and Hondata with a E Tune provides by VitViper. (VitViper is no longer doing tunes, but you can buy an ETune for about $250 - $300.)

I bought the intake on a Black Friday deal, to save money. You can search your local Facebook areas for used Cold air intakes. Oh, Skunk2 also make a good cold air intake for the K20 & K24 motors.

Anyways, back to tuning: Etuners.com is a pretty good tuning site that many use. When you eTune, they will send you a calibration that will be safe to run on your car as soon as you finished installing your cold air intake. They will send you the calibration in an email attachment and you download it onto your Hondata or K-Tuner and then upload it into your car’s ECU by connecting it to the OBD-II port. I recommend saving your Calibrations on your Google Drive in case something happens to your PC or something. They’ll give you instructions on how to datalog your car and then you send the datalog back to the etuner to make adjustments. It will several times going back and forth with this process. And each time they send you a new revised calibration, you will experience how the tune interacts with your car.
You’ll learn a bit in the process. Then you can add an exhaust and downpipe after you get your tune setup. I have an 8thcivic Si, but our cars are very similar in behavior. These cars aren’t like Subarus in which you have to get a new tune as soon as you change one single component.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AEM & DC are manufactures names. I put them out there for an example. AEM Performance, and DC Racing are their names. I would stay away from them if you want true performance difference! I’m running Hybrid Racing cold air intake and Hondata with a E Tune provides by VitViper. (VitViper is no longer doing tunes, but you can buy an ETune for about $250 - $300.)

I bought the intake on a Black Friday deal, to save money. You can search your local Facebook areas for used Cold air intakes. Oh, Skunk2 also make a good cold air intake for the K20 & K24 motors.

Anyways, back to tuning: Etuners.com is a pretty good tuning site that many use. When you eTune, they will send you a calibration that will be safe to run on your car as soon as you finished installing your cold air intake. They will send you the calibration in an email attachment and you download it onto your Hondata or K-Tuner and then upload it into your car’s ECU by connecting it to the OBD-II port. I recommend saving your Calibrations on your Google Drive in case something happens to your PC or something. They’ll give you instructions on how to datalog your car and then you send the datalog back to the etuner to make adjustments. It will several times going back and forth with this process. And each time they send you a new revised calibration, you will experience how the tune interacts with your car.
You’ll learn a bit in the process. Then you can add an exhaust and downpipe after you get your tune setup. I have an 8thcivic Si, but our cars are very similar in behavior. These cars aren’t like Subarus in which you have to get a new tune as soon as you change one single component.
I heard that CAI hydrolock the engine. I live in ct where the weather is horrible. Do you still recommend a cold air intake or a short ram intake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
takeda cold air intake is the best cold air intake if you dont want the chance to hydrolock. I've gain 15 HP from it. Its carb legal too and sit up hi in the engine bay

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the 3" exhausts seem to be good quality wise. N1 and Skunk 2 RR look the best I think, but I went with Full Race 3" because the N1 and RR are very loud.
We have the Full Race 3" on our 2015 Si. To our ears, it's the perfect daily driver exhaust. Incredible sound that's always deliciously present, provides a handsome battlecry when you stomp it, yet never even approaches truly, obnoxiously loud (N1!).

We have a cat-less 3" down pipe as well. If you have the stock DP or high-flow cat equipped, it'll be just that little bit more tame.

I wish they made an exhaust for my 2019 Type R. I'd be purchasing my second Full Race exhaust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought the invidia N1 and yes it is very noisy. Fortunately, a silencer is provided and it is permanently installed. It was unbearable in the car without this silencer.
Personally, I love the K&N PERFORMANCE 69-1019TS AIR INTAKE SYSTEM !
The sound is great !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts