9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting my first civic si and the one I am looking at makes this weird noise when in first gear. A friend of mine told me not to worry about, but I just wanted to check here to make sure it is not a deal breaker.

I found this youtube video with the same issue. Looking forwards to replies :)

its a 2013 with 110k miles asking price is 9.5k

·
Registered
919 Posts
Pretty much all 9th gen Si's will do this. Mine doesn't do it as reliably as this though, kind of just happens every once in a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much all 9th gen Si's will do this. Mine doesn't do it as reliably as this though, kind of just happens every once in a while.
So it should not really affect my decision of buying the car or not?

·
Registered
265 Posts
yup. mine does this. wont affect anything. i think it’s the throw out bearing or something. mine comes and goes, some days its there, some days not.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Mines been doing it for almost 40k miles. Its the springs in the clutch disc they vibrate at a certain rpm range causing the noise which for me 1000rpm to 1200rpm is where the noise happens for me but again 40k miles and im fbo tuned with a few track nights and no issues

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I am looking into getting my first civic si and the one I am looking at makes this weird noise when in first gear. A friend of mine told me not to worry about, but I just wanted to check here to make sure it is not a deal breaker.

I found this youtube video with the same issue. Looking forwards to replies :)

its a 2013 with 110k miles asking price is 9.5k
I knew the model engineer for the Civic and last time I asked about this noise and updated parts, about 5 years ago...
He said there were none at the time and there was no plan to pursue the complaint.
The noise as others here have stated is annoying but does not affect the durability of the clutch.

The real question: is 9.5 grand a good deal for the car in question?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep my 2012 does it also, Ive driven a honda manual most of my life. Never had a transmission problem, it sounds like the clutch is slipping, but mine keeps on running good. 50k so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 Si started doing the noise at 12 k miles and kept doing that. Now it has 25 k miles, no other issues, clutch and transmission work fine. The conclusion I came, after reading several posts and consulting with my mechanic and the chief mechanic of the dealership where I bought the car, was that the noise is made by the springs on the clutch disk that vibrate at heavier loads, such as starting in first gear when going uphill. My impression is that the clutch will work fine for many miles, regardless of the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought my 2015 Si with 35k miles on the OD and it's made the noise since the day I bought it. It's now at 60k with no other symptoms of clutch degredation or problems.

EDIT: I should add that I've greased up both the clutch slave cylinder boot and the boot where the clutch fork goes into the transmission. This gets rid of the noise for about a day, until the grease wears off and it comes back. I've stopped trying to fix it and just live with it now.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Mine has had it from 45k all the way to 97k and counting. No driving issue, can be kind of annoying but not too bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had it since I got the car at 20K. Now at 70K.

I've heard it has to do with a little spring that's in the Slave Cylinder. Something about it causing a bit of clutch slippage to compensate for newer stick drivers. It seems to only manifest when my first gear clutch engagement is a bit too slow. If I feather the throttle while simultaneously releasing the clutch (similar to what you've gotta do with a pucked clutch) I have better luck with the sound not occuring.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My car started making the noise about a year ago. Haven't heard it make the noise in the past few months. Only seemed to happen when I was on an incline. My car has almost 125K miles.. (200,000km). The noise, although annoying (like the VTC actuator noise) supposedly isn't harmful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts