9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I traded a 2010 LX for a 2012 Si, what you need to do is some homework:

How much do you owe on the LX ?
What does Edmunds say for trade in value ?
How much negative equity will you end up with, and how much more will your payments be ?
Interest rate/length of loan, what was it on the LX and will it be any different on an Si ?
Insurance rates, will they change and how much ?
Gas costs, Si needs premium and I get 4 mpg less in my Si compared to my LX for my daily commute.

If you have a low interest rate, then in a year you should owe less than the value of the car since Honda's hold their value so well. You will always take a bath if you trade a car in right after buying it. I owed $12,100 on my LX and got $14,500 trade in value (had a 5 year .9% loan), not bad for a car I'd had for 2 years. It was worth it me, but I spent a weekend crunching numbers before I traded my LX in, I recommend you do the same.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Best to sell private, but not many buyers have $15-20K in their pockets. They'll have to set up loans most likely, and that is easier at a dealer. Usually cars under $6000 sell easier privately since mostly cash.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
These threads sure do pop up a lot. Yes, it is worth it. You will loose about 3-4k from what you paid for yours. I do about 25k miles a year and will be purchasing a new Si every 5 years for now on. It is very gratifying to be able to drop a gear and fly around someone in the fast lane going 5-10 under the limit like a rolling road block. They never move and I only have a short chance to dart around them as they slowly pass someone in the slow lane. Then I look in my mirror at all the poor folks backing up behind him. This is every day for me on a 75mph speed limit hwy. Will never go back to slow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been thinking your situation over. Apart from the question of whether or not you can swing this financially - and I'm assuming you can - I think you have to do a simple cost-benefit analysis here. In other words, in the end, is the added pleasure of the Si over the LX enough to assuage any angst you'll feel over the money you'll invariably lose by letting go of your almost-new LX? For me, it would be. The Si is, quite simply, a completely different car from your LX. You're obviously keenly aware of this, and it's to the point now that you're simply not going to be satisfied with you LX anymore, knowing that car you really want is within arm's reach.

Life's short. Go get the Si. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You can make the lx look just as good as an si and can even make it look identical,like some have here,but you can't match the motor,trans and everything that goes with it.there all great cars but the additional performance sold me instantly along with the 6 speed trans.just look at it like you had a one year lease and now it's time for another car, go for it! You won't regret it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,107 Posts
No offense taken here by this LX owner. Different strokes, nodamene?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have made 2 new car purchase mistakes, 1973 Mazda RX3 and 1985 GMC Jimmy, so I'm pretty sure I know how you are feeling.
Both of those mistakes, cost a lot of $$$ to rectify.

Do what you are comfortable doing.
I would take the loss on selling or trading the LX.
Then be happy with the Si.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Both ways you still have a great car! That's the good news.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
I just had an apostraphe: keep the LX (it's already paid for and doesn't have any major problems that have been discussed) and go buy a Si. I know it would be weird to have two Civics in the garage, butat least you'd have the best of both worlds. And maybe a few years down the road you could sell a low-mile Civic for comparitively more than it is worth now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 31 of 31 Posts