9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2013 civic lx. Is it too my benefit to put premium gas in it. Also pretty much all my driving is Highway. Secondly, how long should I wait to use fuel system cleaner products (gum out) and any preference on which is the best?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
890 Posts
So long as you are using "Top Tier" gasoline, you really don't have to run cleaners in the fuel system. That being said, I run Gumout with Regane at every oil change as a preventative measure. Just make sure whatever you are using is PEA based. The rest of the stuff is just snake oil.

Silver will probably weigh in on premium gas, but when I had my 06 LX with the R18 I ran mostly premium in it and had better gas mileage. Still cost me more in the long run due to the price difference between reg and prem. I don't have a choice with the Si.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Premium gas gives absolutely zero advantages if the engine is tuned for regular. As a matter of fact, Car & Driver found decreased power and worse mpg when they ran an Accord on premium.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Read my sig. I just put the first bottle (12 oz.) Of Techron ($4.00) in when I changed the oil this last Saturday. I run cheapo Sunoco in Black Betty it's clearly not TT gas.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Just got a 2013 civic lx. Is it too my benefit to put premium gas in it. Also pretty much all my driving is Highway. Secondly, how long should I wait to use fuel system cleaner products (gum out) and any preference on which is the best?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You don't need a fuel injection cleaner until around 15000 miles. I use premium in my LX and got a few tanks of 48 mpg and have not gotten lower than 38 mpg in the winter. Chicago traffic and weather and with the Econ on with 60/40 average highway. I have a year at 16000 miles averaging 41 mpg.

Its up to you whether to use premium but the ecu and throttle body does adjust to it. When I got my new car I topped off a few gallons with premium and got 44 mpg first tank but then I experimented with regular, midgrade and premium but the octane was always higher than 87. Midgrade is a waste of money and I see a better running engine on premium. There is a lot of benefits including better shifting(auto trans) and more low end torque which is where you are in cruise. Premium was always higher in mpg.

Basically the ecu takes readings of air and fuel and compares it to engine loads and makes corrections over the base maps all based on the knock sensor there is 2 parameters it changes each have their own correction and is added or subtracted from the fuel and air which is controlled by the Drive by Wire, This is why there won't be a flashpro for the R18. It can even add or subtract timing to 1 cylinder over others. There is not much movement of the cam timing until after 10000 miles but even today in cool weather with lights on I am seeing upper 60s in mpg. Mpg is also not consistent due to barometric and air temps so there is average but it changes a little day to day and month to month.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Your LX will run worse on premium since it is tuned for 87. I had an EX and EXL. This was true for both of them. I also only run 91 on my stock SI during the winter as 93 is to rich but great for summer. You may try 89 for summer but not winter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In my '96 Civic DX, I always pumped Chevron 91 octane and consistently got 35-40 mpg in mixed city/highway driving, and consistently got over 400 miles per each fill up.

But when I would pump 87 octane (also chevron), I would average about 350 miles per fill up and an average mpg in the low-30's.

To me, the extra couple bucks at the pump was worth the extra MPG and the peace of mind that I was putting top-tier, clean gas into my car.

Everyone has different opinions about the benefits of high octane gas and the necessity of using just 87 octane, but my personal/actual tests yielded better results so I stuck with 91 octane.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
a vehicle that only requires 87 and is programmed to run on 87 will not benefit from premium at all.. higher octane is just to prevent pre-detonation. for example, the SI engine wll create conditions that will detonate the air fuel misture prematurely with 87 octane (as in the pressure and heat cause the air fuel mixture to ignite, not the spark from the spark plug). Premium gasoline with its higher octane rating has more resistance to this pre ignition otherwise known as spark knock. i would focus more on using quality fuel like shell or bp instead of wawa or royal farms etc. using an octane rating higher than your engine can possibly take advantage of is moot and has no benefits.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Its the knock sensor that allows it to run on regular as it detunes the engine as you drive. All Honda base maps are tuned from using 91 r/m premium fuel. Ive been using premium with zero issues for over 20 years including a van that says no premium. My LX starts better and runs smoother and gets as good mpg as most hybrids.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Its the knock sensor that allows it to run on regular as it detunes the engine as you drive. All Honda base maps are tuned from using 91 r/m premium fuel. Ive been using premium with zero issues for over 20 years including a van that says no premium. My LX starts better and runs smoother and gets as good mpg as most hybrids.
I always use premium as well. My LX always got excellent gas mileage.
My SI, not so much. I don't drive on the freeway that regularly.
And the driving experience is worth it...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
SI requires premium but its also 33 bigger so if you're in the 30 mpg range it compares to 37/40 in the LX. If I got 41 average with regular I would not be explaining it. As the learning cells fill out the others are corrected too and eventually there is no more gain in mpg and the same with power but that was on premium.

·
Registered
359 Posts
a vehicle that only requires 87 and is programmed to run on 87 will not benefit from premium at all..using an octane rating higher than your engine can possibly take advantage of is moot and has no benefits.
Aside from the higher MPGs I averaged by putting 91 octane instead of 87 octane in my 1996 Civic DX.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I say the only time its worth putting premium in a car that doesnt require it is when 91 is the only non-ethanol option at the pump. Ethanol is pure garbage. Otherwise, what everyone said about 91 doing nothing for cars that don't require it are right.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,100 Posts
I have no personal test results to speak of. But I cannot justify spending an extra 30 to 40 cents per gallon for premium to get a couple of extra miles per gallon. My car runs fine, no - great on 87, so that's what I use.

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
My Fit came from Japan with a sign that read "I drink 87" so that was what I gave it. Then I slapped on a cold air intake, then headers and the rest of the exhaust system and was off to see Vit for a tune. He told me to use 91, so that is what I have used ever since. I figure the guy knows what he's talking about so I should do what he says. The Si came from Canada with a sign that read "91 recommended" so that is what I give it to drink.

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If it's brand new don't even put thE additives in your tank,for at least 30000 miles.
Sooo, don't put TT gas in the Civic until you hit 30K? I don't see the difference between TT in every tank fill (per OM suggestion) and a bottle of additives every oil change.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts