9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I am waiting for all the people with the R18 that got 48.9 mpg driving 60/40 highway at 70 mph with regular. I will agree premium is not for every one and regular does have more BTUs per pound but weights less than premium.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm waiting for them driving with any kind of gas….but very patiently.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
Although I'm going to my local garage tomorrow for an ecu reset, I'm working on a smokin' deal on a canbus scan gauge.

I still want to see for myself.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
My situation isnt typical I have a 3 mile commute to work rarely traveling over 45 MPH.Im getting 25 MPG but only have 2000 miles on my car after 4 months of ownership.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Although I'm going to my local garage tomorrow for an ecu reset, I'm working on a smokin' deal on a canbus scan gauge.

I still want to see for myself.
I have a old scangauge2 and it does not reset the learned parameters. I took it to my dads to reset his car and it just scanned and said no codes and no erase feature. It only erases when there are MIL codes. I used his old scan tool and it did have a erase feature and I was able to reset his ecu. I did it when it was running and it skipped when I hit the erase button and I don't recommend doing it when the engine is on. He was getting bad mpg too and had a lot of engine work done and I doubt they reset it. I also added air in his tires. He is set for the winter now.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
My situation isnt typical I have a 3 mile commute to work rarely traveling over 45 MPH.Im getting 25 MPG but only have 2000 miles on my car after 4 months of ownership.
Your engine is not even getting warmed up even if you drove both ways at once. 25 mpg is great for that situation. Even when it was 90 degrees out side it takes me 6 miles before the engine was fully warmed up. That is why in the winter besides the fuel enrichment from the cold air it takes longer to warm up and mpg drops.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I had my ecu reset this morning after the car was inspected.

I am just as skeptical of 'butt dynamics' as anyone else, but I will say that the car seemed to feel smoother on the drive home, a few miles on the highway, and few miles of side streets.

I'm not sure how the psychology works, but I actually don't want the car to run better on 93 because I don't want to be 'forced' to pay extra for it. Therefore, if the car does actually perceptively run better, in addition to better mpgs, it won't be because I wish it so (placebo effect).

I reset the trip A and will now start over, tracking mpgs. I no longer have to mash the throttle to force the ecu to move away from its old programming. It is now starting from scratch, and should adapt to the new gas more quickly, if things do indeed happen the way it has been claimed they are supposed to happen.

Let's see what this upcoming week of commuting brings.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Your engine is not even getting warmed up even if you drove both ways at once. 25 mpg is great for that situation. Even when it was 90 degrees out side it takes me 6 miles before the engine was fully warmed up. That is why in the winter besides the fuel enrichment from the cold air it takes longer to warm up and mpg drops.
Agree. However, what is a warmed up engine? It typically takes a full 20 miles of driving to get OIL temp. up to normal operating temps. I never tracked an engine without it up to normal OIL temps. Most people think of water temp. as the parameter for warmed up engines. Not so I think.

For normal transportation, I think, just drive the car according to the law and it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The civic si has an "oil cooler" that doubles as an oil warmer. The oil runs though a little sandwich plate that has coolant warming/cooling it.

It helps oil temp come up along with water temp.

Usually when the water is at temp so is the oil. :D

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I can go a month without needing fuel since I drive so little.How long can fuel stay "fresh"?I could start just filling it halfway.I also probably warm up my car too long cause I want the whole engines oil to be circulated.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Agree. However, what is a warmed up engine? It typically takes a full 20 miles of driving to get OIL temp. up to normal operating temps. I never tracked an engine without it up to normal OIL temps. Most people think of water temp. as the parameter for warmed up engines. Not so I think.

For normal transportation, I think, just drive the car according to the law and it isn't an issue.
The blue light goes off when the engine temp is 125 but from that point to when the engine reads 185 to 190 degrees is about 10-20 minutes after that. I guess that is the point when the coolant temp going into the radiator is the same as the engine. I do drive some what aggressive getting to speed and doing 70 mph on the highway is usually the slowest speed everyone is going. The other lanes people are going 90 plus.

Oil temps are usually 30-50 degrees higher than the water temps.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I can go a month without needing fuel since I drive so little.How long can fuel stay "fresh"?I could start just filling it halfway.I also probably warm up my car too long cause I want the whole engines oil to be circulated.
A month is not a problem. But if it makes you feel better, then yes, do a half tank at a time. I wish I didn't have to fill every week.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Update on my mpg. Drove 20 more miles today and at first it used a lot more fuel but 60/40 city now it reads 37.5 on the Imid. I was driving in a head wind with gusts up to 30 mph. Fuel trims were slowly build up the same as before but at idle it would drop to zero. Timing was sweeping from-5 and raising to 0 to 2 degrees .5 at a time at idle. I did notice the engine loads were higher and cat temps were higher but not higher than 1200 degrees, but on the way back it was normal reading a cool 1080. . Timing at cruise 23 to 26 and seen mpg in the upper 80s at 45 mph. So considering a oil change and reset I am seeing a possibility of better mpg all around from where I was. Car definitely is re-tuning and runs better. More later but don't expect to break records this tank but I might be surprised. I would be happy around 40 this tank.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I don't get it. I was driving in placid conditions, 60 to 65 on the highway, and light-footed on the surface streets. By the time I got home, my imid was at 30mpg.

I don't understand fuel trims and how you even know what they are, and how you know what your ignition timing, are cat temps are at any given moment, but 80mpg? That sounds completely unreal!

Do you have a scan gauge hooked up to your OBD at all times?

·
Boston...we will not forget!!!!
1,246 Posts
Do the math and you can't get a good enough mileage increase to justify the extra expense of premium. Also, regular has more BTU's per gallon than premium. That's a fact that's easily verified. All premium does is ultimately advance your timing and in a Civic, it's a waste of money because the car is made to run on regular. The biggest factor in fuel mileage is one's right foot.

As far as Top Tier gas, that's one of the biggest marketing ploys in history.
Yea well we are running an internal combustion engine. Not a space heater. So I'd rather have lower combustion temps for longevity. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I don't get it. I was driving in placid conditions, 60 to 65 on the highway, and light-footed on the surface streets. By the time I got home, my imid was at 30mpg.

I don't understand fuel trims and how you even know what they are, and how you know what your ignition timing, are cat temps are at any given moment, but 80mpg? That sounds completely unreal!

Do you have a scan gauge hooked up to your OBD at all times?
Another update. 38 mpg with a range of 480 with 60 miles on the oil since the reset. My average speed is 30 mph so its like 65/35 city. I expect the 40 plus mpg but its not my best and the weather is windy and cool. No extra loads on motor like lights or heater. Its still tuning so this tank is just a break in.

I have a ultra gauge Scotty which I bought 3 years ago and have no ties to them. I just like it because I see fuel trims and timing and other important stuff the ecu is doing. It would be nice if it had logging memory but its just a cheap reader. UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Fuel trims explained... http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h44.pdf
http://www.liquidsunenergy.com/learning/ppt/ice.pdf

I might go back to regular since I can start the ecu over and compare with out putting the engine into trouble. I usually do this in the winter because its cooler out side but If I do I will take the fuel enrichment into consideration.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Winter = colder dense intake air= more power?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
101 - 120 of 161 Posts