9th Gen Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
Top tire means name-brand - Shell, Sunoco, Mobil, Exxon, and the like. Supposedly, you should avoid places like, 'Mike's Gas.' =o\

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I don't think Sunoco is TT gas. It wasn't listed the last time I checked the website. TT gas supposedly has extra cleaning additives added when the tank truck is filled at the distribution facility so it's the same gas, but with more detergents. TT brands pay the TT organization to become members (as well as some car manufacturers) for the "honor" of saying their gas is TT.

Here's an example of what I think is the smoke of the whole thing. Chevrolet recommends in the Cruze owner's manual the use of TT gas in the Cruze (just like Honda does). However, they also say that you can put a bottle of cleaner (like Techron) in the gas tank at every oil change.

Around here, TT gas is nearly always a nickle a gallon more than non-TT gas. Why would I pay$.05/gal more for gas when every 7,000 miles I can dump in a couple of $4.00 bottles of Techron to achieve the same results. I ran my old '97 Civic EX on non-TT gas for over 105K miles with no additives in the tank and the engine had no issues for the 16 years I had it. End of soap box oration.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I buy my gas at a local Hess because it's the only station that doesn't do the lower price for cash bullsh*t. Their price is usually midway between cash and credit prices in most other stations. This works for me because I rarely carry more than a few $$ for lunch.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Just got a 2013 civic lx. Is it too my benefit to put premium gas in it. Also pretty much all my driving is Highway. Secondly, how long should I wait to use fuel system cleaner products (gum out) and any preference on which is the best?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No and don't use fuel system snake oil. It's in your regular gasoline. Just drive the car and do what the owner's manual says to do.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I don't think Sunoco is TT gas. It wasn't listed the last time I checked the website. TT gas supposedly has extra cleaning additives added when the tank truck is filled at the distribution facility so it's the same gas, but with more detergents. TT brands pay the TT organization to become members (as well as some car manufacturers) for the "honor" of saying their gas is TT.

Here's an example of what I think is the smoke of the whole thing. Chevrolet recommends in the Cruze owner's manual the use of TT gas in the Cruze (just like Honda does). However, they also say that you can put a bottle of cleaner (like Techron) in the gas tank at every oil change.

Around here, TT gas is nearly always a nickle a gallon more than non-TT gas. Why would I pay$.05/gal more for gas when every 7,000 miles I can dump in a couple of $4.00 bottles of Techron to achieve the same results. I ran my old '97 Civic EX on non-TT gas for over 105K miles with no additives in the tank and the engine had no issues for the 16 years I had it. End of soap box oration.
When I worked for west mark ,making tankers,concoct-phillips was a great customer.
Apparently Sunoco (part of conoco)won't spend the money to be registered as top tier because not all of their grades at all of their stations are up to spec.so for example go to any chevron in the US and every station on every grade qualifies.costs big money.
So Sunoco doesn't do it.so it's kinda hit and miss.some of theirs is 10% ethanol some isn't.so that's why

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Definitely worth it for the Si. I've tested it and you can feel the difference. For the regular Civic? Nope. Not even a little bit. I've heard that running Premium every now and then helps with the engine, but there's no benefit for an economy car to have Premium fuel. At that point, you might as well be throwing quarters at the gas pump. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I accidently used premium on my 8th gen R18 Civic by mistake once, and find it didn't do any good to use premium. Therefore, save your money.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Apparently Sunoco (part of conoco)won't spend the money to be registered as top tier because not all of their grades at all of their stations are up to spec.so for example go to any chevron in the US and every station on every grade qualifies.costs big money.
So Sunoco doesn't do it.so it's kinda hit and miss.some of theirs is 10% ethanol some isn't.so that's why
Around here, all gas is E10, except for the marinas. We have a BP/Husky and a Sunoco/? refineries in town. Sunoco pricing is all over the place as they price by location in the city. Near an expressway ramp = higher price. Away from an expressway = lower price. In a poor neighborhood = higher price. I've given up on gas pricing. I am still convinced that TT is mostly marketing babble. Show me a NA car that has run high miles on non-TT gas and has engine problems and I might become a believer. My '97 EX never had TT gas and was running wonderfully at 105K miles. The '03 P5 has 90K miles and has never had TT gas in it. Neither engine ever had any problems. You can't blame a bad thermostat in the '03 P5 last August on gas.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
TT will get better mpg. The detergent package also is a friction modifier. Even with the cold and long warm ups I am averaging 28 mph and still getting 35 mpg with generic gas. I will be going back to my BP premium next tank. 3 mpg a gallon is worth it and maybe more. The generic premium has less than 10 percent ethanol just like the top tier but less additives and probably why it is cheaper.

Check your tire pressure. Bumped mine up to 40 psi and so far so go. I have traction and it steers better on the highway with wind sheer but the suspension seems firmer that I don't like and sounds like its on rails. I was tired of the TPMS light coming on.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I use Shell or BP, 93 octane. Not sure which is better, but I've heard good things about both. Supposedly Shell gasoline is "Nitrogen enriched." I stay away from Kroger and Walmart gasoline, even if it's cheaper. I've got no evidence to back up the fact that Shell or BP is better, but my Si is my baby. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
I usually put 89 octane (mid-grade here) in my R18. I typically fill up at the Marathon by my house, but filled it up w/ Hess yesterday and would swear it runs better. No matter the brand, I'd say it runs better than on regular. It doesn't "chug" under hard acceleration like bit typically does with regular. I've seen about 36 mpg with this tank compared to my usual 33-34.

·
Registered
763 Posts
In my experience, Kroger gas gave me horrible gas mileage - like 18MPG bad. Then I went back to a more name brand gas though not top tier, Hess, and I got back up to around 24MPGs mixed. This was in an Integra back in the early 2000s. Since then I've always just used top tier to be on the safe side, don't want those gross gunks on my engine parts, but I have no way to confirm if all that detergent is actually necessary.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I don't go up to 40 psi in my tires, bit when the weather drops, I check my pressures, and have to up the tires as it gets colder.

If my tires are at 34 psi, for example, when the weather is 60 degrees, they will be less at 40 and even less at 20. But if you make sure they're at 34 psi no matter the temperature, then at 80 or 60 degrees will equivalent to 34 psi at 40 or 20 degrees. Check your pressures, especially as the temperatures drop.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
I had done a couple of tanks of 93 in my R18, and had my ecu reset before the first tank. Mileage was virtually the same as when I used 87. I'm back with 87 now, at 50 cents less per gallon than 93.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I had done a couple of tanks of 93 in my R18, and had my ecu reset before the first tank. Mileage was virtually the same as when I used 87. I'm back with 87 now, at 50 cents less per gallon than 93.
Can I say "I told you so"?:icon_wave:

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
121 - 140 of 161 Posts