9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONG story short. My 2012 Civic was recently rear-ended at high speed and the car is a total loss. Miss it dearly. Progressive did a total loss valuation and identified both "obvious" engine and transmission leaks that I was unaware of. I can't argue the engine oil leak-- they sent pics of what looks like leaking oil from a head gasket crack. However they only sent one picture of the "transmission leak" (attached). I highly doubt the transmission leak and they aren't providing anything beyond this one picture. Because of these two points they greatly lowered their total loss value payout amount, so I just want to verify it's legit.

First, they claim this picture is of the "transmission case". (A) is that true? Sorry I am not a car wizard. And (B) does that look like a transmission fluid leak, or just engine oil that has covered the transmission components? Trying to see if this is really a transmission leak or just engine oil covering the transmission and, in that case, I want to argue that point.

Thanks very much.

transmissionleak.jpg (hopefully it's big enough of a pic)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't know what I'm looking at in that photo.
Also here's a thought, how do you know the photo is of YOUR car?

Sounds like BS to me. Tell them your neck and back hurts now...
What does the engine/trans have to do with relative value of the vehicle, as it relates to car being totaled?
Is this your insurance co?

Related to the "leak" excuse did the car leave spots on the floor when parked overnight?
If not, then it's not a leak, in my book.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what I'm looking at in that photo.
Also here's a thought, how do you know the photo is of YOUR car?

Sounds like BS to me. Tell them your neck and back hurts now...
What does the engine/trans have to do with relative value of the vehicle, as it relates to car being totaled?
Is this your insurance co?

Related to the "leak" excuse did the car leave spots on the floor when parked overnight?
If not, then it's not a leak, in my book.
Thanks for the reply. According to them that is a picture of underneath the front of the Civic, looking up at the transmission. It definitely looks like the bottom of the transmission viewed from underneath the car from some videos I've seen, but the question now is whether that's even transmission fluid or if it's engine oil.

I do think it is my car since other pictures they've sent from further away / different angles all match my car, including some showing oil leak staining. I just am really doubting that the tranny is leaking.

Even though the other driver is at fault, this is through my insurance (they will be billing the other driver's insurance ultimately) because he had some cheap-o insurance I've never heard of that didn't even have a website. My insurance (Progressive) is totaling it but they still only want to pay on the "pre-accident" value immediately prior to the accident. Thus why they are deducting for this stuff, to lower their payout, even though they're getting reimbursed.

P.S. never saw any staining on the ground where I parked so even further evidence my tranny wasn't leaking. Engine oil, likely, given that is IS on the engine block in a pretty significant amount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, that is the transmission, and it could be transmission fluid. You would have to find the source to be sure. That's a douchey move on the part of Progressive. You might solicit the help of a lawyer to go over the details of your policy and the law in your state. If it says you are entitled to a "vehicle of equal value" you might be able to argue that they have to find another civic of the same trim and mileage, with the same APPEARANCE of a leak, and give you that value. And you might ask if you've been overpaying; I'm sure your premiums are not discounted for the condition of the engine, transmission, paint, interior, tires, etc.

As to the leaking head gasket and the appearance of that much coming down the block and transmission: What the hell? How many miles do you have? My '12 with 111k miles has no leaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to agree with Paulcet that's a douchy move by Progressive. Also only giving 1 photo of the claimed tranny leak. Can you be certain it's not engine oil extended from the other leak?
How long have you had the leak & how much was leaking before being hit?
Can you get the help of a trusty mechanic to go with you to look at the car?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
P.S. never saw any staining on the ground where I parked so even further evidence my tranny wasn't leaking. Engine oil, likely, given that is IS on the engine block in a pretty significant amount.
If there is no fluid spots on the floor.
And you do not have to continually add fluids between changes.
There IS NO LEAK...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
this move by Progressive isn't new nor is it solely a Progressive move. back in 2010, when my odyssey got totalled, the insurance company (not mine, the at fault driver's) gave me a check for an LX model. i had the EX-L version. i argued with them for a week. they weren't budging on it. They were looking for anything to devalue the car. mileage, condition of the tires, leaks, condition of interior and condition of paint, etc. take it or leave it, is all your getting. i seriously, went out, stripped the van of everything i could. i had the van in my driveway. i removed the radio, mats, the leather seat covers (when i learned they just zipped on and a few staples held them on). gave them the steelies i had for winter tires and kept the aluminum wheels. took every light bulb out of it. removed the passenger headlight (driver's side was damaged in wreck). when the tow driver came to get it, asked me where is the rest of the car. i said, this is what they paid for. sold the parts on craigslist. and they only paid for a rental for 2 weeks. it took them nearly that long to determine the value of my car. btw, the insurance company behind all this: Nationwide....and they aren't on your side!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bastard insurance companies, always finding a way to give less. But on the opposite, a car with very low mileage, garaged, excellent in and out, they don't give more than the books say it's worth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely NOT trans fluid. That is just engine oil. Thats what I like to call the "Honda Anti Rust Coating" lol. It seems hondas only ever leak engine oil but when they do it gets everywhere. Never seen a honda leak trans fluid unless a line or the radiator are damaged. Been working on cars professionally for 4 years now for what thats worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That sucks man. This is why I avoid Progressive. I have heard tons of stories from people about how they don't ever want to pay full amounts and will do anything to lower the payout. I am pretty sure they are doing that to you too to get out of paying you more. Damn shady Progressive bastards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"when the tow driver came to get it, asked me where is the rest of the car. i said, this is what they paid for. sold the parts on craigslist. and they only paid for a rental for 2 weeks. it took them nearly that long to determine the value of my car. btw, the insurance company behind all this: Nationwide....and they aren't on your side!!!![/QUOTE]

Need more ppl like you. Cheap *****.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts