9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I have a 2012 Si Coupe HFP. A while back i noticed my alignment was off so I had it checked and corrected at a local shop. When I got the car back I was not given an information sheet regarding exact numbers which i now realize is a bad sign. Immediately after setting off from the shop I noticed it had not fixed the issue and the car was still pulling to the left. They took the car back in and looked it over again and when I picked up the car the steering wheel was actually centered and it felt normal. However, after about an hour of driving I noticed the car pulling to the left again. They said that it had been long enough that they would not cover the cost of another alignment as I could have possibly damaged the car in the mean time. About a week later I got another alignment at a shop about an hour from my house with extremely reputable reviews. They told me the issue was that the car could not be set back to factory spec due to the lack of adjustable camber inherent in the car. I was also then informed that one of my rear control arms was bent from some sort of curbing that had taken place (probably from when I lent my friend the car for an hour). I purchased a Skunk2 rear camber kit and some front camber bolts hoping to fix the issue. I installed the parts, got the car aligned AGAIN only to find out that the front right wheel can not achieve the desired -0.25 degrees I had asked for. Now I am stuck with -0.25 degrees on both rear wheels and +0.3 degrees on the front (he adjusted the left side wheel to match the right). Now I am very confused. The mechanic (who up until a year ago was a Honda Technician) said he couldn't identify why the front right wheel isn't able to adjust the full +/- 1.5 degrees that the kit advertised. He was able to get the front left all the way from +1.5 to -1.5 degrees with no issue but the front right will not go any lower than +0.33 degrees. He brought me into the shop and we both looked over the whole car and couldn't see any damaged or bent parts that could be limiting the adjustment. The steering wheel is now slightly leaning to the left but the car pulls to the right. My only thought is that the there may be an issue with either the steering column or the LSD as those are the only two parts we couldn't really look to closely at. Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S. For reference the entire suspension set up is stock HFP stuff, aside from the Skunk2 rear camber kit and Front Camber bolts.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm NO way an suspension expert and can be TOTALLY wrong. But the last time I had an issue similar to yours, my steering rack needed replacing. No matter what I did for alignment, issues kept coming back, but once I replaced it, it was good as new. As state before, I might be WAY off on this one...... just thought I'd share my experience.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,397 Posts
Yeah minor toe in or toe out should be fine I've been running the HFP suspension witn no camber bolts or camber arms for years with slightly negative camber and no issues. Alignment places will try to get the car back to spec but usually they can only get it close to spec but never exactly to spec. If the car drives fine and doesn't pull one way and steering wheel doesn't vibrate on the highway I woundnt worry about it if it does than probably something damaged or broken so lesson learned don't lend out your car for other people to drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts