9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm just about to pull the trigger on the K&N Drop in filter. Please guys be my devils advocate and give me you cons and pro's.
It's either this or the typhoon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've had both on my R18 and would definitely go for the Typhoon SRI if you want any noticeable difference. The drop-in will give you and extra hp or so with about the same increase in mpg along with some extra noise. I absolutely LOVE my Typhoon. There's a noticeable difference in power and it sounds absolutely amazing. If you're waiting to save up for the intake, the drop-in filter is a great temporary, easy to install solution. Overall, oth are great choices IMHO. (BTW I've got about 2.5k on my intake with zero issues). Hope this helps! There are also some other threads on here that should solve any unanswered questions

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
There are no cons I can think of with a K&N drop-in. I've been using them for years in cars and bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had both on my R18 and would definitely go for the Typhoon SRI if you want any noticeable difference. The drop-in will give you and extra hp or so with about the same increase in mpg along with some extra noise. I absolutely LOVE my Typhoon. There's a noticeable difference in power and it sounds absolutely amazing. If you're waiting to save up for the intake, the drop-in filter is a great temporary, easy to install solution. Overall, oth are great choices IMHO. (BTW I've got about 2.5k on my intake with zero issues). Hope this helps! There are also some other threads on here that should solve any unanswered questions

Thx!!! Ordered the drop in for now. Great deal on amazon.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
I think that's where I got mine.

See if you can get your ecu reset after you put it in, unless your car is brand new.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
Go to a trusted local garage (or your Honda dealer if you have no other choice), and ask them to reset your ecu. In layman's terms, that will wipe out any of the learned changes your ecu has made from the way you drive, and will allow the engine to adjust to the new filter, which will flow slightly better.

I am on the verge of getting an Autel can-bus gauge so I can do this myself, among other things.

If you're not doing that, you can just drive the car, and it will, in time, adjust to the new filter.

Generally, the more engine mods you do to your car, the more the ecu will have to be 'tuned' to accommodate so it can run properly. with enough mods, the ecu will need a full tune, which is where Flashpro comes in.

But that's nothing for you to worry about with a simple drop-in filter.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah, ditto on the filter. My filter needed to be changed anyway, so I just got the K&N drop-in, and called it a day. Then later I'll be putting an intake on, but not right now with my warranty;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts