9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently just got a 2013 civic si coupe with 67k miles. I’m wondering what the difference is between a ktuner and a hondata flashpro, and which one is considered “better”. I’m also wondering if either of these take into account the exhaust and intake you’re running, because I’m getting those next week. Do I need to get a custom Tune if I get bolt on mods? im also curious as to wether the ktune or hondata is meant to be used for the long term ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Both serve the same function, to reprogram the ECU.
A custom tune will be better than a OTS tune.
It's best to talk to which ever tuner you'll use, on what they prefer. I made this $600.00 mistake, my Dyno tuner didn't like ktuner.

The way they put it, Hondata is better for Dyno tuning.
You do not have to keep these plugged in all the time, if that's what you meant by long-term.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have hondata and have been happy with it, but ktuner has an optional display unit that looks way better than my phone using the hondata app.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
54 Posts
Go with Hondata for the longevity of your engine.

1) Hondata FlashPro has on-board data logging, something K-Tuner only offers if you have a laptop plugged in. And who wants to drive their car every day with a laptop plugged into it?
2) Also, you can live tune the Hondata FlashPro - the K-Tuner can't. The Hondata also provides much more flexibility as to what the tuner can adjust to provide a much cleaner tune overall once they're done.
3) The K-Tuner has a nice screen display but you can connect your phone (tablet, etc) to the Hondata and monitor sensors on your screen.

All-in-all the screen on the K-Tuner is nice but that's the only thing is has over the FlashPro. Go with the Hondata and you'll be happy you did. K-Tuner is adding features over time so in the future it might be a better option but currently Hondata is a tried and true method.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd go with Hondata, but go with whatever your tuner prefers. If you're going with boost in the future, go with Hondata.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey I'm gonna quote a response I got from Dan over at e-tunez. I am currently tuning with them and I had the same question.

Edit: This is for an FBO N/A setup if anyone was wondering

Regarding Ktuner V Flashpro with a setup like yours we would typically run a hybrid base calibration. That feature is not available in Ktuner. Calibrations that are running a hybrid basecode use tha Map (manifold absolut pressure) sender and the MAF (mass airflow) sensor together. The tune is much more refined and really runs well with the K-series in general. So I would recommend the Hondata FP for that reason.

With a hybrid calibration it does take a little more work on our end but the cost is still the same. We start by calibrating your MAF sensor and building a good MAF cal then will switch over to the Hybrid base code and tune all of the Volumetric efficiency tables. There are also some pretty cool extra features with the Flashpro and a hybrid calibration. There is “Lambda mode” where the tachometer will show your air fuel ratio instead of RPM and adjustable launch control. (Both of these features are controlled by the cruise control buttons) Also flat foot shifting aka no lift shift is also a pretty neat feature. It does cause premature clutch ware (I can verify that personally) but it is fun as heck and fine when used in moderation.

So in summary with a setup like yours I would highly recommend Hondata FP. Also please do remember we offer $120 off of the Flashpro and a tune when you use the coupon code “FLASHPRO” during checkout if you plan on purchasing your Flashpro through us.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go with Hondata for the longevity of your engine.

1) Hondata FlashPro has on-board data logging, something K-Tuner only offers if you have a laptop plugged in. And who wants to drive their car every day with a laptop plugged into it?
2) Also, you can live tune the Hondata FlashPro - the K-Tuner can't. The Hondata also provides much more flexibility as to what the tuner can adjust to provide a much cleaner tune overall once they're done.
3) The K-Tuner has a nice screen display but you can connect your phone (tablet, etc) to the Hondata and monitor sensors on your screen.

All-in-all the screen on the K-Tuner is nice but that's the only thing is has over the FlashPro. Go with the Hondata and you'll be happy you did. K-Tuner is adding features over time so in the future it might be a better option but currently Hondata is a tried and true method.
Brief Correction here:
1). Ktuner also has on-board logging capacbility. A very brief period of course.
2). This is true, and is a huge down fall for dyno tune especially.
3). Tunerview with Ktuner allows you to view most vital data through any android device. I believe on the 10th gen civics, you can even get the app into the factory infotainment system.

But get Hondata. It just does more with our (K24Z) platform. I'm planning on moving to Hondata myself if my 6MT turbo TSX Wagon idea ever see the light of day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everything I read here from members on Hondata convinced me years ago. I have not regretted my decision, I run their basic "Race" tune above the factory tune and the car just came alive with my upgraded options. (street level clutch, skunk2 pro-s coilovers, intake, exhaust, Large Flo Cat., racing radiator, high amp. alternator, other little extras regarding fuel.) I can't imagine how a custom tune with someone who actually knows what their doing would perform. I'm guessing much more of everything regarding performance & power. Be careful what you create friend, my wife won't even ride in my car anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts