9th Gen Civic Forum banner

What type of I-VTEC will the 2012 Civic Si utilize?

• "Power" I-VTEC

Votes: 36 67.9%
  • "Economy" I-VTEC

Votes: 17 32.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we know the new si is coming with a k24, that's official. But what I wonder is what type of i-vtec it is going to utilize?

The "power" i-vtec? As found on the current si.

Or the "economy" i-vtec? As found on the current tsx.

People say that the engine would be swapped directly from the tsx, if so then that would mean eco vtec, but do you think that Honda would modify the engine at all, maybe putting in "power" vtec along with changing other things? Or just drop in the same average schmo engine?

Give your opinions!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
If they just drop a tsx clone in the civic I feel like that would make the Si lose credibility. Si is sposed to be a sport tuned car, a car with refinements from honda, not just a pot full of random odds and ends. Not to diss the tsx engine, but you know what i mean. I vote "power", i can't imagine them not doing ANYTHING to it

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree completely with that statement Jason, but didn't the ep3's share "exact" motors with the base rsx's? Or was that tuned differently?

Yea, what ever happened to A-VTEC? It's relatively nonexistent nowadays lol

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I agree completely with that statement Jason, but didn't the ep3's share "exact" motors with the base rsx's? Or was that tuned differently?
Yea same engine, but I mean that's a little different since the rsx was sold as a "performance" car right? The rsx is luxury sedan and even though it's 200HP, a luxury sedan engine just doesn't seem sporty enough lol idk just what I think..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am split 50/50 on this.

A. Honda takes more cost effective way and drops the same engine with minor tweaks to ECU programming and such, including integrated exhaust manifold. The fuel economy is boosted from the integrated exhaust manifold and economical factory tune. "Eco i-VTEC"

B. Honda uses similar head technology as current, that utulizes a removable header and such. The fuel economy is boosted from change in gearing and an economical factory tune. "Performance i-VTEC".

Eh, who knows, until I get to peek my head in the engine bay and/ or otherwise stated from Honda.

Who the F knows!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been working for a Honda dealership for almost four years now. We have won the American Honda Presidents Award for the past 15 years in a row. The GM and Sales managers went to Las Vegas last week to see the production models of the Civic. Here is what I was told. The new Si will have a lower redline then the current model. We all kinda figured that, but its validated. I was also told by the sales manager was that it will have a v-tec gauge as found in the FD2 Type R in Japan. I don't know how that will exactly work but I will post a picture what it looks like. He wasn't to sure when the vtec will engage but it sounds to me were getting the TSX clone.

What I don't understand is why would Honda would go as far as putting a v-tec gauge in the 9th gen Civic if the v-tec wasnt used for POWER...

No Engaged

Engaged

I will let you guys know as soon as I get more information. I will be ordering a white coupe with navi as soon as its available to order.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Dizzle you are my new best friend!!!! thanks for sharing! so correct my if im wrong but the first pic shows 90 mph at approx 4500 rpm.....the second pic shows 221 mph and peged out at 9k rpm???? Is the Vtec gauge the little yellow and orange notches on the left of the MPH?

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is from the JDM FD2R which is the Type R 8th Gen Civic in Japan. So the MPH is shown in KPH. And yes you are correct that is the v-tec gauge.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah exactly like a boost gauge. It will start to light up once v-tec engages till its highest point at redline from my understanding.

No problem man whatever questions you need just pm me or post on my visitor message box

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ivtec gauge in those photos are to the left of speedo.

You are looking at CTR gauge cluster there. Those speeds are in km/hr. K20a engine.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
@ dizzle NIICEE info man that's good stuff. I wonder how all of this is gonna finally be implemented. Vtec gauge sounds interesting, how does the tsx drive? I assume you've driven one since you work at the dealership, do you think its fitting for the Si?

·
Registered
482 Posts
@ dizzle NIICEE info man that's good stuff. I wonder how all of this is gonna finally be implemented. Vtec gauge sounds interesting, how does the tsx drive? I assume you've driven one since you work at the dealership, do you think its fitting for the Si?
I havent drove a 09+ TSX but I had drove a 1st gen and I would have to say that motor felt great. Alot better then the 8thgen accord motor or the k24 used in any of the other honda models.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I don't know a ton about engines right now, but I take your word for it, that should be awesome then. i gotta do some research about all of this stuff so when i get the car I know enough to do some work

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.