9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first let me preface by saying I have gone through at least the first 5/6 pages of search results for just about every combo of "k24 / K24Z / K24Z7 / K24 + Cam / K24z7 cams" etc. so spare me the "ITS CALLED GOOGLE BRO" (although if I missed what I was looking for I will gladly take a link to the info)

Alright, so the problem I'm facing as I plan the rebuild of the K24Z7 in my 9th gen Si is that I'm looking for better cam options. As I'm sure y'all know the options for cams w/ the R40 head are practically nonexistent. Besides the $2400 4Piston R40 billet cam kit.....which is very tempting.....but also very expensive and sold out at the moment (again if I've missed other options I'll gladly take them).

The idea solution I've been looking into but unable to find information on is this:

Is it possible to buy a set of cams and ONLY use the intake cam and leave the stock exhaust cam in? I know that the compatibility of aftermarket cams gets automatically marked as incompatible with the R40 due to the intake only VTEC, however if I were to find a set that would fit the intake side, leave the stock exhaust cam as is, and then tune it accordingly would that be a viable solution? I've seen on here that almost anything is possible when it comes to K-builds, but the reason I ask is because I don't know if the lack of a more aggressive cam profile on the exhaust side would kill the potential gains from running the upgraded intake cam. In theory I think at some point that would be a bottleneck, but im not trying to make crazy power so i feel like its not the worst idea? Outside of buying a cam set and only using one

I've been looking into this for a while now on both this forum and the K20a forum but have not been able to find much outside of what cams to use in the K20/K24 frank builds. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don’t waste your cash on a allmotor z7.
Allmotor covered it with this statement.

Also, $2400 for a possible 25-30whp?

Instead, you could be on your way to head-swapping and making more power, with more potential down the road. Clearly they've done a lot of work and appear to be making good power numbers but I wonder how much time and money they spent doing so as opposed to just going K24/K20. Props to them for them for trying new things though.

It just doesn't sound like a good option for anyone unless they have a full wallet they want to empty and have an obsession with the R40.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
You will need the exhaust cam at minimum. throwing a more aggressive cam on the intake will only bottle neck the Horrible flowing head these cars have. Don’t waste your cash on a allmotor z7.
This is by far the best intake flowing head Honda ever made. The lack of cams just makes it not NA friendly.
Perfect for boost. Stock cams and a reinforced valvetrain can net you 500 whp all day boosted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well wildly enough 4piston just started a pre-order last week for DROP IN R40 CAMS. To my knowledge this is the only company that has done this, but i could be wrong...Theres two sets/stages, the direct drop in set can use all stock components, the stage 3 need upgraded springs to run.

I feel a little lucky timing wise here as Im rebuilding my engine anyway and couldn't justify the cost to do this if i wasn't already rebuilding. This was a cool opportunity to check these out and was going the N/A build route anyway so i got some of the stage 3's. It'll be quite a while before i finish the car and get it tuned, etc. but i'll definitely share the results...

edit: i posted about my engine situation a while back just never updated, long story short - its fucked. i'll update eventually...still pulling the old engine out)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts