9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking for stuff for our k24 and came across this: Find ASE WATER PUMP DELETE PLATE HONDA ACURA K-SWAP K24Z7 motorcycle in Boca Raton, Florida, United States, for US $129.00
Looks like someone finally made a block off plate that fits our block, I don’t know if it works with the rest of the parts from the k-tuned kit for k20/4a series but if not it should be easy with a couple adapters, etc. What do you guys think? I’m pretty excited about this as I have been thinking about this possibility for a while.

·
Registered
632 Posts
So I was looking for stuff for our k24 and came across this: Find ASE WATER PUMP DELETE PLATE HONDA ACURA K-SWAP K24Z7 motorcycle in Boca Raton, Florida, United States, for US $129.00
Looks like someone finally made a block off plate that fits our block, I don’t know if it works with the rest of the parts from the k-tuned kit for k20/4a series but if not it should be easy with a couple adapters, etc. What do you guys think? I’m pretty excited about this as I have been thinking about this possibility for a while.
Good find! What electric pump would you be using?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good find! What electric pump would you be using?
I’d probably use a Meziere 20GPM or something. It’d be nice to see a hardware kit for mounting and stuff out there for us but it can probably be fabbed if you’re good with that stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my Civic Si a week or two ago and don't understand why this is a good product. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
52 Posts
I just bought my Civic Si a week or two ago and don't understand why this is a good product. Can someone please explain? Thanks!
Water pump is belt driven and every belt driven accessory takes engine power. So replacing it with an electric pump frees up some engine power.

That being said, I'd like to know if there's another issue with these water pumps I haven't heard about that'd add another benefit to going electric.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Water pump is belt driven and every belt driven accessory takes engine power. So replacing it with an electric pump frees up some engine power.

That being said, I'd like to know if there's another issue with these water pumps I haven't heard about that'd add another benefit to going electric.
Thank you for explaining!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You turn it on with a switch but I think you can change the speed too, I wonder if theirs a way it to change the speed with engine temp or something for advanced cooling but that would be super cool. You can also leave it on after turn the car off the cool engine :p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
C'mon guys, electric water pumps are mostly used for drag race applications for keeping the car cool while staging and on the return road.

It's highly unlikely a street honda would use this. Our cars cool just fine as is.
Putting it on a switch would be totally ridiculous on the street. What happens when you forget to turn it on... so unless you plan to wire in into the ecu or for key on engine running, it really makes no sense.

I also highly doubt it is going to "free up" hp, maybe 2hp?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of high hp Honda's with electric pumps but we don't want to confuse anyone making them think this is a common or easy mod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
C'mon guys, electric water pumps are mostly used for drag race applications for keeping the car cool while staging and on the return road.
Even then, you don;t really have to have electric water pumps. I recently figured out a little trick to keep the ECT down during racing. Pull the AC clutch fuse, then use the AC button or any of the windshield defrost to force both cooling fans to turn on. With both fans running and no extra heat from the AC condenser, both ECT and IAT are nice and low. Worked surprisingly well in both drag racing and autocross.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
52 Posts
Even then, you don;t really have to have electric water pumps. I recently figured out a little trick to keep the ECT down during racing. Pull the AC clutch fuse, then use the AC button or any of the windshield defrost to force both cooling fans to turn on. With both fans running and no extra heat from the AC condenser, both ECT and IAT are nice and low. Worked surprisingly well in both drag racing and autocross.
That's really simple. A buddy of mine runs both of his fans all the time at the strip, I wonder if this is how he does it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It's highly unlikely a street honda would use this. Our cars cool just fine as is.
Putting it on a switch would be totally ridiculous on the street. What happens when you forget to turn it on... so unless you plan to wire in into the ecu or for key on engine running, it really makes no sense.

I also highly doubt it is going to "free up" hp, maybe 2hp?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of high hp Honda's with electric pumps but we don't want to confuse anyone making them think this is a common or easy mod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It will release more than 2hp for sure, and especially be of help at higher rpm and of course this is for race cars but it can definitely be made to run on the street and a lot of people in California do it bc the hot weather. And if you can’t wire it or set it up than you shouldn’t install it anyway if you don’t know how it works. If you know your shit you can install this and make it work seamlessly in a daily, it’s just up to how good a job is done.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
745 Posts
That's really simple. A buddy of mine runs both of his fans all the time at the strip, I wonder if this is how he does it.
Probably could put in a switch or something instead of having to pull the fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts