9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, I've been really wanting to upgrade my Si's stereo but didn't want to loose the factory Bluetooth wheel controls. I've been emailing Metra and their lead tech contacted me about their wheel control products. Basically they will work for the audio controls but not Bluetooth (answer/hangup). Their product, the ASWC, works on the Honda CRZ in terms of BT functionality but i asked him why the CRZ and not the Civic. Let me show you what he wrote.
"Unfortunately the bluetooth buttons will be lost. But the audio buttons will work. It's not Axxess that prohibits Bluetooth, it's Honda. If a manufactuer (Honda in this case) designs the bluetooth in the radio, you can keep the buttons. But if they design the bluetooth outside the radio, then the buttons will be lost, because the wires are not at the radio to retain the bluetooth. They are at the bluetooth module. Nothing we can do in this situation except to make a bluetooth bypass module, which we will in the future."
This leads me to believe that the Bluetooth module is outside the radio and that if the radio is taken out, you can still theoretically tap into the module and use it. Use the factory mic, buttons, and BT regardless of the new headunit you put in. You would just need to know what wires in the harness control the Bluetooth. If someone more tech savy than I can get a wiring diagram or something to accomplish this, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes Bluetooth module IS outside the radio. The part is called HFT unit (Honda Automotive Parts, #10). But then the HFT unit in CRZ is also outside of the radio (Honda Automotive Parts, #18), so what Metra says doesn't make any sense. In fact, I have not seen any Honda/Acura's bluetooth module that's built in the radio.

The only thing that is different between all other Honda is that, all other cars use the old remote wire (pin 16 on grey 24-pin plug and a ground) but our cars uses CANbus on pin 8 and 18 on the light brown plug.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
597 Posts
I read through it...
Basically it is saying that you ground the steering wheel control (from that picture, #11 in 24-pin is the remote ground). Our cars don't have it...Then we also don't have the 12-pin plug. When it says with #9 green and #10 red, it's the preamp level audio. Honda uses red(+)/green(-) for low level audio transport.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wondering where the Bluetooth module is in our car. Been reading that the Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Interface will not work if there is a separate Bluetooth module remotely stored somewhere like under the passenger seat or in the dash somewhere. Reading that you will have to rewire/bypass the Bluetooth module so that the buttons could be used. A guy in the Nissan forums emailed a Metra tech and received instructions for bypassing the Bluetooth module from him. Then his Bluetooth buttons worked again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the process of redoing my entire audio setup. Put a new bluetooth head unit in yesterday. I noticed my phone still connected to the Hands Free Link in the car even though the headunit was removed. This means that the factory bluetooth module is not in the radio. No clue where it is though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes the module is somewhere else and is an independent unit. It's also the reason why the steering wheel bluetooth switch doesn't work with aftermarket head units.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I have to go put the stock stereo back in and delete my phone from the hands free link because every time I get in my car, my pioneer and the Honda Bluetooths fight for control of my phone. I deleted the HFL from my phone but it still asks for permission saying that the HFL wants to connect anyway. I wonder if there's a fuse I can take out to reset it instead of connecting the old unit back up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Now I have to go put the stock stereo back in and delete my phone from the hands free link because every time I get in my car, my pioneer and the Honda Bluetooths fight for control of my phone. I deleted the HFL from my phone but it still asks for permission saying that the HFL wants to connect anyway. I wonder if there's a fuse I can take out to reset it instead of connecting the old unit back up.
So your using a Metra unit to control your steering wheel controls ? and with a non bluetooth head unit and a metra we will have all hands free phone and steering wheel controls? thats great! im now going to be looking for a nav head unit without bluetooth. i hope i can find one that will work with my factory amp and sub and controls without too much trouble.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your using a Metra unit to control your steering wheel controls ? and with a non bluetooth head unit and a metra we will have all hands free phone and steering wheel controls? thats great! im now going to be looking for a nav head unit without bluetooth. i hope i can find one that will work with my factory amp and sub and controls without too much trouble.
Just to clarify, I'm installing the Metra Axess ASWC to control steering wheel functions. Not sure how it will work with bluetooth controls, it may not. There is an update for it but i wont be able to apply the update for another week. I do have a bluetooth head unit. I have the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any updates on this? Did anyone find how to get to the factory bluetooth when installing an aftermarket headunit?

·
Registered
597 Posts
You can't keep it. Very simple. This car's remote control button goes to iMID, then to the radio via 20-pin plug (pink/blue CANBus wires). Radio controls iMID, but iMID also controls Bluetooth. Mic picks up voice and send to HFT unit. Audio is sent back to the radio via 14-pin GA-Net adapter. But Bluetooth itself is a standalone unit. So you will have a situation that Bluetooth still connects but no way to make it function.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Any updates on this? Did anyone find how to get to the factory bluetooth when installing an aftermarket headunit?
Yes. There is a way
There's an audio shop we send our civics to when clients want after market audio but still want to retain factory controls.
I know there is a sun harness they use. It alone is about 115 bucks.
I'll find out more and post
But yes it can be done

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
To be honest I'm fine with e Bluetooth with my alpine,at first I thought I would miss this on my sw,but I don't at all.im not sure i would waste the money.the system works great now and it brings up my entire phone book on my iPhone 4S.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The PAC sw control does not work well with the 9 th gen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have the Metra SWC and I love it as far as keeping the steering wheel functions, but as far as the Bluetooth is concerned I don't miss it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts