9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1295 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Makes sense, maybe I will look into that brand for mine. I bought a used k&n but its not in the best of shape.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222
Quick update on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires. My MPG has never been great, don't know if it is related to the tires or related to something else but around the time I mounted the AS 3+ tires my MPG seems to have gone down. If it is the tires I'm not surprised as they are definitely not low rolling resistance tires lol, probably one of the trade offs for better performance.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223
Took the Si in for an alignment this week. Thought I'd post up my alignment specs, remember I'm on HFP suspension with no camber bolts or camber arms. Shop brought it back as close as possible to stock spec. End result is car tracks straighter and I don't have to work the steering wheel as hard when pushing into a corner. Usually I try to get an alignment every year and no that is not over kill.
IMG_20170623_214359.jpg

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,224
Finally found time and got around to do a much needed strip down and full detail. Clay bar, polish, seal and slapped on two coats of wax since I just don't have the time like I use to to wax every few months.
Paint was definitely starting to feel rough and water was not beading either, last time I did a full detail was last year.
IMG_20170813_160153.jpg
This was just the driver's side door lol. The lower door panels had the most contaminants by far. Normally I would clay bar before winter and after winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I typically follow the same process in the spring time. Have to find someway to protect the paint from the TX sun. Lucky for me I don't have much of a winter. Nice attention to detail.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,226
Changed my cabin filter yesterday for the first and it was super easy. Took my time and even stopping to take pictures it only took me 10 minutes to do it.

Replaced it with OEM filter.
2017_0822_11161200.jpg

Just pop out the glove box. It actually doesn't pop off it just pops out and hangs down.
2017_0822_11184500.jpg

Push in both clips to release the cover.
2017_0822_11204600.jpg

Pull out the old filter. I laid the old filter on the ground and put the new filter beside it so I knew which way the new one was suppose to go in. Filter had about 26K miles on it but it was really dirty.
2017_0822_11231700.jpg

The only real trick is that the air flow arrow should be pointing down when you insert the new filter.
2017_0822_11244200.jpg 2017_0822_11265000.jpg

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Just changed my cabin filter with about 25k miles on it. Very dirty as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,229

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,230
Continuing with the maintenance theme a couple days ago I swapped out the stock air filter for a AFE Power Pro Dry air filter.
2017_0824_09462600.jpg

Install was relatively easy. I did have the strut tower bar to deal with, the good thing about the Tanabe Strut Tower bar is that you can unscrew the bar from the bracket without needing to remove the actual bracket from the strut. A huge convenience whenever you need to work on your car and saved me alot of time. I actually only unscrewed one side and pushed the bracket aside. I tried doing it without loosening the intake tube but with it on there wasn't enough give so I had to loosen the tube. After that I just popped open the cover and there was just enough space to angle out the filter.
2017_0824_09144100.jpg

26K on the filter and it was pretty dirty.
2017_0824_09170500.jpg
2017_0824_09172200.jpg

One thing I noticed right away was how much thinner the AFE filter was compared to the OEM. I'm sure being thinner helps it with air flow but I'm kind of concerned about how well it actually filters, we'll see. Fit of the AFE filter was spot on and it fit snuggly.
2017_0824_09192500.jpg
2017_0824_09173400.jpg

So had this on for a couple days don't notice any difference in sound but my Q300 seems to be getting louder lol so any little extra sound would get drowned out anyway.
Okay so here is the kicker car does seem peppier and a little more responsive might just be the fact that I'm running a new filter and/or butt dyno.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have the same setup. HPS tube with the AFE Pro Dry S filter. Yes, you need to always move the HPS tube to get the filter out. I never noticed any power or sound difference with the filter.

As far as the size goes, what's more important is the filter area, type of media, and air flow as the filter gets dirty. All filters are tested to a certain particle size and how much particulate they capture at that particular particle size. For example, at work, our systems use a filter that is 99.99% efficient down to 0.4 micron. That's what's important to compare the two filters.

Reactions: kev604

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,234
I feel a bit more responsiveness and a little more sound with the HPS and now the Pro Dry drop in filter but Greg didn't so it's YMMV.

Im thinking of getting the same set up. Ive been debating it for quite some time. Looks real nice though.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,235
Been busy and lazy and haven't updated this in a long time but doesn't mean I'm done lol. I've always wanted to change up my headlights so I might do something this summer. Also have been wanting to add a carbon fiber gurney flap for the longest time too so stay tuned.

Next month I plan to do a post winter badly needed full detailing of my car. Once I'm done I'll post some updated pics of my car as it sits now.

And also an update on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. After having lots of seat time behind the wheel with these tires it safe to say these are the best AS tires I've ever had. I had them on the whole winter and they did as well as can be expected on light snow and below freezing conditions. Driven through heavy rain with these tires and they are very solid in rain even when pushed. They are the best AS tires on dry than any other AS tire I've encountered. High end grip and road feedback I'd say they fall just short of better summer tires but for tires that you can run year round these are as good as you can get.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,237
Finally got new wipers today. Bosch Icon seem to be the most recommended so went with those. Be careful when you buy these as they have "A" and "B" fittings. Apparently one is designed more for driver side and the other is more suited for passenger side. Make sure you buy the right one I didnt know at first but good thing I looked into it.
2018_0424_10581700.jpg

·
I Need A Vacation
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,240
Way better than stock. More quiet and smoother as it runs across the windshield and cleans better too. The stock ones sometimes has that annoying squeegee sounds as it runs across the windshield .

How are they compared to stock?

I usually just buy the wiper inserts from my local Honda for a few bucks.

1221 - 1240 of 1295 Posts