9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1293 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,241
Well with Father's Day just around the corner I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Password JDM carbon fiber gurney flap for the Si. I'll attempt to clear coat it myself once it arrives. Can't wait to get this on the Si. Pics to come.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,242
It's been way too long since I last updated this thread well actually not much to update other than the fact the Si has been super reliable and I've had no mechanical issues with this car whatsoever from day one.I currently have 76500KM/46500MILES on the car.

Black wheels just don't do the car any justice in pictures lol. :cool:

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
As it stands now I currently have 76761KM or 47700Miles on the odometer which is still pretty low. The 8.8L/100KM or 32.1MPG is the highest mileage I've ever seen on the IMID. Part of that is my commute has changed from mostly city to mostly highway and the other part of that is there are much fewer cars on the road so there is less stop and go.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,246
Ran out of stuff to do so decided to swap out the black Muteki SR48 lug nuts and swap in Project Kics R40 Neochrome lug nuts on my black RPF1's. If anybody is wondering if there is any difference in size I snapped a picture.

The Muteki's are a bit longer and generally look and feel bigger but of course the Project Kics are lighter. With my RPF1 being +35 offset the hub of the wheel is sunken in so I actually feel the slightly longer and bulkier Muteki's looked better than the Project Kics on the wheel because the Muteki's did a better job of filling in the space around the hub if that makes any sense.🙄

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,247
With the pandemic situation being what it is and my kids being at home I have some more free time to go around so got myself motivated to do a much needed detail.

Getting things ready.:D

Got one of these foaming guns recently. Okay so here is my take although it does foam pretty well the soap is still a bit runny so if I foam down the whole car by the time I work from the front to the back of the car alot of the soap has run off so bottom line I still need a bucket of soap to topoff any areas where the soap has run off the car.

:eek:Yikes I knew it was going to be bad but...............and I avoid parking under trees lol. First pic is some side panels and hood. Second pic after I kneaded the clay is some side panels and the roof most of it was off the roof which by far had the most contaminates.

After claying I put down some polish. A good polish will fill in very light scratches and marring and give the paint some pop.

While waiting for the polish to haze I detailed the engine bay. I usually use this liquid spray detailer for the interior and it works well it works okay for the engine bay too. I also used it to detail the exterior but I wasn't totally satisfied with the results I usually use a gel product for the exterior trim so I'll go back to that next time.

And followed up the polish with a sealant to give that finish some protection and a good sealant adds further shine.

I just started using this gel tire shine and overall I'm pretty impressed it spreads easily and has good coverage and gives a nice wet shine. Downside is that if you dress your tires regularly like me than a bottle probably won't last long

I even got rubbing alcohol and a Qtip and cleaned the grille area on the front bumper and the diffuser area on the back.

Finally topped it off with a wax. This isn't my go to wax but I've got too many half used bottles of wax sitting around so decided to give this one a go. First off this is a hydrophobic wax so these types of wax are going for more of wet/slick finish whereas a carnauba wax will probably give you better longevity. In this application I wasn't too concerned about longevity cause the next time I wash my car I'll wax it again and give it an extra topper. Going back to the wax I didn't have huge expectations but overall I thought it did pretty well it definitely gave the car a little bit extra pop. Where I was pleasantly surprised was that the wax left a very smooth buttery finish to the touch.

My arms were pretty sore at the end of the day but to see the finished product is rewarding. I was getting some good reflections off my side panels.:sleep:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

My arms were pretty sore at the end of the day but to see the finished product is rewarding. I was getting some good reflections off my side panels.
Looking good. Do I spy some rpf1 in the reflection of the car next to you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,249
Looking good. Do I spy some rpf1 in the reflection of the car next to you?

Thanks bro. Yeah running a set of silver RPF1 as a summer set up on wifes car lol.😈

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Shiney, I hate doing the clay bar and polish/wax detail, but it is soooo worth it.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,251
Shiney, I hate doing the clay bar and polish/wax detail, but it is soooo worth it.
Yeah one of those love hate things. Your cursing before you start🤬 but feels so damn rewarding once your done🤩.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yeah one of those love hate things. Your cursing before you start🤬 but feels so damn rewarding once your done🤩.
Last time I clay, polished, and waxed my car I took three days.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,253
If I start early and work at a good pace than two days is normal if not than three days isn't unusual. :eek:

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
If I start early and work at a good pace than two days is normal if not than three days isn't unusual. :eek:
I must be doing something wrong. I can clay and wash in the same day. Maybe I should look into polishing but then.
Time to invest in a DA polisher. F that by hand stuff...

I want to get a DA but kinda worried about fucking up the paint with one of those.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yea, I can wash clay and wax in a day. The polish adds significant time to it IMO.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I want to get a DA but kinda worried about fucking up the paint with one of those.
Honestly, it's probably impossible with most consumer type products. Keep the speed low and use a the right pad and you are all good.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,258
I must be doing something wrong. I can clay and wash in the same day. Maybe I should look into polishing but then.

Yeah claying doesn't take that long but it is the wax on than wait than wax off that takes forever. Polishing is super important cause a good polish will fill in light scratches and marring and at the same time give the paint some pop.

I'm not confident in my DA skills either I've heard of noobs burning thru their paint. A good idea would be to buy a hood from a junkyard and practice on that before you try anything on your car.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
Honestly, it's probably impossible with most consumer type products. Keep the speed low and use a the right pad and you are all good.

Think I'll look into it. I remember Autozone started carrying DAs from Griot's and maybe Chemical Guys. I'll go on my day off and look.
Yeah claying doesn't take that long but it is the wax on than wait than wax off that takes forever. Polishing is super important cause a good polish will fill in light scratches and marring and at the same time give the paint some pop.

I'm not confident in my DA skills either I've heard of noobs burning thru their paint. A good idea would be to buy a hood from a junkyard and practice on that before you try anything on your car.
Not a bad idea. Don't really have the room to do that though. I'll pick up some polish on my day off and use it this weekend if it doesn't rain.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,260
I Finally decided to re-do the plasti dip on the chrome piece on the grille and trunk. I last dipped those pieces years ago and I'm pretty amazed how well they've held up.

Tried peeling the dip off hoping it would peel off easily but considering how long the dip has been on the car and how seasoned it was that wasn't going to happen.🤬 Sprayed Goo-Gone which seemed like what people were using and honestly it wasn't doing a whole lot. It was barely rubbing or peeling off not to mention the Goo-Gone was dripping all over the place.🤬

Finally I remembered I had a bottle of Turtle Wax bug and tar remover sitting in my storage locker so I pulled that out and wham sprayed that on and within minutes I was able to rub the dip off with a microfiber towel. Also the bug and tar remover was non drip so it didn't even make that much of a mess lol. Kind of felt stupid how much time I wasted with the Goo-Gone.

Last time I dipped it turned out very blotchy but this time it turned out way better the finish was more uniform and much less blotchy. I made sure I sprayed 15-20cm away and made quick back and forth strokes. I ended up doing 4 light coats allowing 1 hour to settle before doing the next coat. It wasn't perfect though the edges were a little rough and you can still see a bit of chrome on some parts of the edges. I think next time I have to do a little better job at taping but all in all I was happy how it turned out.🙂

1241 - 1260 of 1293 Posts