9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice this most annoying "feature" ?

I often have both hands full when I get home, usually taking things out of the back seat, so I need to leave the doors unlocked when I get out. It seems though, that I can't lock the doors with the fob while any of the doors are open (ie. while my hands are still free) - I have to open the front door, lock the doors with the armrest button, close the front door, and then retrieve my "stuff". Seems more than just a little awkward...

Do you think there might be a way to reprogram this so I can lock the doors anytime I want?

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
mine does that too... last car was same way too

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Anyone else notice this most annoying "feature" ?

I often have both hands full when I get home, usually taking things out of the back seat, so I need to leave the doors unlocked when I get out. It seems though, that I can't lock the doors with the fob while any of the doors are open (ie. while my hands are still free) - I have to open the front door, lock the doors with the armrest button, close the front door, and then retrieve my "stuff". Seems more than just a little awkward...

Do you think there might be a way to reprogram this so I can lock the doors anytime I want?
Its a safety feature that you wont lock yourself out I believe. Regardless, how come you take all the stuff out, booty bump your door closed, go inside and when your done with free hands, click the lock button on the fob, click twice if you want to horn yourself. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought at first it might be a "safety feature" too, but how can I lock myself out when the fob is in my hands...?

fyi... my 2002 Sentra had no such "feature".

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I thought at first it might be a "safety feature" too, but how can I lock myself out when the fob is in my hands...?

fyi... my 2002 Sentra had no such "feature".
Hmmmm, its also a way to tell you that your doors are not all closed kinda like it wont honk if you click twice and a door is open as well. Whats the difference if you fob lock it after you put your stuff down?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I believe it's so you don't lock the door set your keys back in the car, then shut the door, I've seen people do it before :face palm:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
I believe it's so you don't lock the door set your keys back in the car, then shut the door, I've seen people do it before :face palm:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

yea... ive seen that alot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm, its also a way to tell you that your doors are not all closed kinda like it wont honk if you click twice and a door is open as well. Whats the difference if you fob lock it after you put your stuff down?
Well, one problem is I could forget...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it's so you don't lock the door set your keys back in the car, then shut the door, I've seen people do it before
No doubt, that's possible, but it doesn't stop me from locking the doors from the armrest with the keys in the car (on the seat perhaps) and then closing the doors - there's a limit to how "fool-proof" things can be made.

(With my last car I was able - on two occasions, at the same gas station, no less - to lock the car with the keys in the ignition, even though it had a safety feature to prevent this - trust me, it can be done...)

But my point is, for me at least, this feature is much more of a nuisance than a help - maybe I'm just a bit different... At any rate, I'm just curious what others think - and I believe I'll send a short note to Honda suggesting they might want to give it another thought.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
i started mine one morning to defrost and when i shut the door it locked. i was at work at a factory back then a hour away from the house. it sucked bad.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Check your MID under "Customize Settings" and "Door Setup" I think there is an auto lock timer but I do not remember if that was for driving or after you turn car off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts