9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from the guys at koni. The 9th civic shocks and struts are in R &D. And should be available soon!

Reactions: rique10

·
Registered
158 Posts
fyi the 8th civic Koni shocks fit perfectly. Koni is just confirming whether they want to use a different shock number for the 9th civic or just leave them as is.... the 8th civic shocks are only about 1/4" shorter than the 9th civic, but they work perfectly I think.

I've been emailing with them about some basic dimensions on it, but I know Koni needs to do their due diligence to be sure internally how they want to handle it...... run the 8th civic spec or start over. Frankly, the 8th civic parts seem to work perfectly from my point of view, so I'll be surprised if they don't just carry over the part numbers to the new model.

Chris

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool keep us posted.

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
since the koni shocks from 8th gen fits on our 9th gen civic i wonder anyone have installed them? or with the h&r that was made for the 9th gen?

·
Registered
681 Posts
if someone can confirm the koni shocks from the 8th DEFINITELY fit i will get them as far as h&r goes i've had no luck actually finding them, since you can't buy directly from h&r

·
2,264 Posts
i hope someone does comfirm that the koni shocks fits... but anyways any word on eibach sportlines or pro kits?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen the h&r springs offered on eBay. But wasn't sure how reputable the company was.

·
2,264 Posts
well guess like we gotta wait when suspension stuff comes out hopefully coilovers FTW

·
Registered
218 Posts
there not the same , maybe the shock itself is same design the housings are different . The new 9gen has swaybar attachment point on the shock housing were before was on lower arm . A cartridge type replacement might work but i would just wait for real thing to come out .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Real thing? Koni Sports are inserts in front and there isn't a better street/performance shock for the new Civic out there in my humble opinion.

We have Koni Sport coilovers done for the 2012 Civic already.... just waiting for someone to step up and try them.

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Real thing? Koni Sports are inserts in front and there isn't a better street/performance shock for the new Civic out there in my humble opinion.

We have Koni Sport coilovers done for the 2012 Civic already.... just waiting for someone to step up and try them.

Chris
My comment on real thing meant from koni as i don't see using 8gen koni as direct bolt on . Why not wait for something that is polished off for correct model . They will make them I am sure , SI gets stuff made for it pretty fast compared to other honda's .
As you know they are not the same , yes a insert would work but that is not simple drop in .

Also I maybe wrong but I took OP post as to koni yellow's not coil-overs.
When it comes to Civic's do they only make inserts or do they make both whole shock and inserts ?
Edit: looked it up, there yellow sport is a insert only , I forgot they don't sell whole thing. Most vehicles I install Koni were replacement of strut .

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would try the coils but I'm no where near you guys. I want to lower my car on quality coilovers already

·
Registered
158 Posts
btw 8th Civic shocks fit the 9th civic car perfectly. Both front and rear shocks are about 1/4" shorter on the 8th Civic; so using them on the 9th civic with drop springs are coilovers is perfect.

And there is no "full strut" that is as good quality as the Koni insert is. Most of the common coilovers out there have inferior dampers, and that is the core of what makes a suspension a good suspension. That and spring rate I suppose. The rest is just making sure the suspension is durable and non-corroding, and that's not that hard.

For some, the other coilovers will work fine, but for many driving a Civic (Si or not), they will want something that performs well, and most of the cheaper coilovers are not good in that regard.

Like I've said before, Koni have won 7 Formula 1 world championships.... all the other common coilover companies combined have not won even a single F1 race. That's because they are not suspension companies. They sell headers and turbo timers and everything else. So, if you want a good suspension, you should really consider a proper damper...and Koni is as good as they get unless you are willing to spends thousands more.

Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is your issue then only the fact that Konis are inserts? I know it's a bit of a pain, but the fabrication is not a big deal. I've done in dozens of times; so perhaps I'm biased, but it's really not that difficult.

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is your issue then only the fact that Konis are inserts? I know it's a bit of a pain, but the fabrication is not a big deal. I've done in dozens of times; so perhaps I'm biased, but it's really not that difficult.

Chris
Sorry i didn't make myself clear. I think Koni are one of best shocks on the market , been using them for many yrs (since 1974 ) . My original comments were aimed that you said 8gen struts were same as 9th gen . I was thinking of the strut housing differences not realizing Koni only makes insert for Civics . So all is good .

·
Registered
158 Posts
ok gotcha.... thanks for clarifying that.

In the end, the key to all this is that the Koni Sport shocks will work in the 9th Civic suspension perfectly, and it's a fantastic option. So, everyone should be considering them already.

I understand that Koni has not officially included the 2012 Civic in the application listing; so if you want to go by their official listing, I understand completely. But if I had a 2012 Civic, I would use the 06-11 Civic Konis on my own car for sure.

I really hope someone puts the springs from an 06-11 Civic on the new car just to see how they work. They seem to be so close (1/4" lower front and rear from what I can tell) that I bet they will work too.... but I don't know that for sure.

Chris

1 - 20 of 241 Posts