9th Gen Civic Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just another update from Koni, I got this reply 5/3

""
Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. The R&D for the new 14+ Civic is currently in the beginning stages at our KONI Holland location in Oud-Beijerland, Netherlands. Due to Honda’s recent ever changing strut design, with new platforms (even some difference between sedan and coupe) a new applications has to be developed. The dampers for the new Civics are in the pipeline, though it will likely be a number of months before we see any final designs or shocks on the shelf at this time..

Mason O’Hara
Technical Sales Representative
KONI - an ITT company
""

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just another update from Koni, I got this reply 5/3

""
Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. The R&D for the new 14+ Civic is currently in the beginning stages at our KONI Holland location in Oud-Beijerland, Netherlands. Due to Honda’s recent ever changing strut design, with new platforms (even some difference between sedan and coupe) a new applications has to be developed. The dampers for the new Civics are in the pipeline, though it will likely be a number of months before we see any final designs or shocks on the shelf at this time..

Mason O’Hara
Technical Sales Representative
KONI - an ITT company
""
Great news, however it could take years to see them hit the market.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just redshiftmotorsports it.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Sorry for the thread redirect. Because of the potential delay in having these Konis released for our 14+ Si's, I did some reading on other replacement dampers. I'm talking about Skunk2 and Truhart sport shocks. There's not a lot of information out there which leads me to believe there aren't a ton of people going this route, but from what I've read, people seem to agree they're OK, more like OEM+ than a true, performance oriented damper. Chris at Redshift had made the point that if you wanted to lower by more than 2", then getting one of these with a shorter-than-stock shock body would definitely be the way to go, even over the Konis which have lengths much closer to stock. Oops, one other thing: seems like the S2R sport shocks won't work with stock springs but several ppl were running them with H&R springs or S2R's own springs without a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you happen to have the link to the Skunk2 shocks for 2014 SI? i went to Skunk's website but didn't see any application for 14-15 SI.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone tried these shocks yet? are they just a stock replacement with a shorter valve? I'm currently on stock shocks/struts on swift springs and debating
getting some really good shocks or going all out for some nice BC coilovers.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Has anyone tried these shocks yet? are they just a stock replacement with a shorter valve? I'm currently on stock shocks/struts on swift springs and debating
getting some really good shocks or going all out for some nice BC coilovers.
Yes, some have tried them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, some have tried them.
Right on. Do you know the people that tried them? If so, are they firmer than stock or more or less a replacement that can better cope with dropped cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW, Chris at RedShift wrote me back with the following:

The Koni inserts off the shelf don't fit your front struts. We can do it using Corrado front struts (What we used to do), but there is no Koni warranty on them since it's not the right application... it will be treated as a "race" Koni shock... no warranty.
So a solution does exist, though Koni wouldn't honor any warranty claims.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Word from Mason at Koni is nothing is coming out anytime soon. Koni Holland has it on their radar, but whether it actually happens is still up in the air. If you want decent front shocks for a lowered 2012-15 Civic, my recommendation is to use the Truhart front shocks... and maybe their rear shocks too... or the Koni Sports in back. Next step up from there is a BC Racing coilover kit, in my opinion. There really isn't anything in between.

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Word from Mason at Koni is nothing is coming out anytime soon. Koni Holland has it on their radar, but whether it actually happens is still up in the air. If you want decent front shocks for a lowered 2012-15 Civic, my recommendation is to use the Truhart front shocks... and maybe their rear shocks too... or the Koni Sports in back. Next step up from there is a BC Racing coilover kit, in my opinion. There really isn't anything in between.

Chris
I was afraid of that :banghead:. Guess I will have to go with Truharts. Chris, nice to see you on the 9thgen forums! Question for you. I currently have H&R springs on stock shocks. I will be needing shocks soon. I do not track the car AT ALL but I do plan on supercharging in the future. Will I see any benefits of going Truhart vs Koni in the rear? I do not plan on getting coilovers because I drive this car a lot and like the comfort of springs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Truharts are quite good. I don't think the Koni Sport yellows will make a big difference for you on that car. So, the Koni Sports are always better... but they are also quite a bit more expensive... like more for the rear pair than for all 4 Truharts. :) I'd probably stick with the truharts unless you really want the Konis.

Chris

221 - 240 of 241 Posts