9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 2012 Civic Si Sedan with 135K miles. The dealer replaced the rear shocks with KYB Excel G 348069. Are these right for the Si? At 60+ MPH then rear end seems loose, I am getting rear end sway...

Thank you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That model of rear shock is more of a general replacement item, and is of lesser performance than the OEM shocks on your civic SI. They may be contributing to a slightly more floaty feeling from the rear of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought thanks for confirming.
What is a better OEM replacement?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Are you sure about the part# that was installed? That cross references to a Toyota application.

The kyb for the si is 348066 and kyb is the oe supplier that Honda uses so there should be no difference in handling characteristics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure about the part# that was installed? That cross references to a Toyota application.

The kyb for the si is 348066 and kyb is the oe supplier that Honda uses so there should be no difference in handling characteristics.

If you look up Civic LX, EX, Si, KYB OE shock is all the same part number. I do not think an shock being sold for an LX civic will have the same stiffness as actual OE Si.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is unfortunate that KYB sells the same Shock for all Civics, beware if you are getting work done at a dealership, or other facility that advertises OE shocks. You will get less stiff shocks. Best to buy good aftermarket replacements I think.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you look up Civic LX, EX, Si, KYB OE shock is all the same part number. I do not think an shock being sold for an LX civic will have the same stiffness as actual OE Si.
I disagree, I am seeing kyb part# 348067 for the base civics. Si is 348066.

So which do you have? The title says 348068 and the first post says 348069 so there is some inconsistencies in your question here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree, I am seeing kyb part# 348067 for the base civics. Si is 348066.

So which do you have? The title says 348068 and the first post says 348069 so there is some inconsistencies in your question here.

Can you link where you are seeing this?
I'll have to crawl under the car again then to double check. I'm thinking I must have the 66 ones then.

Then I have to wonder, why is my back end feeling so loose???

Would a thicker sway bar help?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Can you link where you are seeing this?
I'll have to crawl under the car again then to double check. I'm thinking I must have the 66 ones then.

Then I have to wonder, why is my back end feeling so loose???

Would a thicker sway bar help?

A larger sway bar is always helpful on these cars but keep in mind sway bars are only active when turning.

What condition are the tires? And has the car been aligned recently? It's possible there is no issue at all...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

A larger sway bar is always helpful on these cars but keep in mind sway bars are only active when turning.

What condition are the tires? And has the car been aligned recently? It's possible there is no issue at all...

Thanks for the link, for some reason I didn't come across the regular KYB site when I searched. That's why it's great to have forums. The tires are brand new, as are the rear shocks, and it was aligned. I just bought from a Honda dealership.

Idk the back end seems loose and sways at highway speeds unnervingly. I've jacked the car up and crawled underneath and didn't see anything loose or strange. Os the back end just under damped...
I'll have it in a shop for spark plugs, valve adjustment, and trans fluid soon, I'll ask them to take a look.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What's the tread depth all around? What kind of tires? If there is a big difference in tread depth, let's say new tires in the rear, and half worn tires in the front, you can get a strange feeling like you describe. Generally you should always keep the better (higher) tread in the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts