9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several months ago, I posted pictures of some of the interior modifications that I did to my 2015 Coupe. They included an auxiliary display panel on the passenger side of the dash (behind the airbag and out of its way), the controls for it that are mounted in the flip-open compartment in the center console below the radio, and an overhead control panel that mounts on the headliner from the rear view mirror area to the dome light area. Now, I have added side "flanks" to the overhead control panels, above the windshield, for more controls and displays, and I also added a rear wing spoiler. Here are some photos!

New overhead control panels. The second image is darker because it was taken later in the evening. The two digital displays are stopwatch timers. One of them can be operated manually. Or, it can be set so that both of them respond to brake pedal input, so that the first display times when the foot is off the brake (for acceleration or 0-60 times), and the second display times when the foot is on the brake (for braking times). Currently, I am working on an optical control of that circuit using the third brake light and a photocell, as direct hook-up to the brake light wire appeared to be affecting the ELD -- though it could've just been a coincidence. The graphic of the car, above the timers, is just for show, but there are two red LED's to the left of it and two yellow LED's to the right (visible in the second image) that tell me that the rear lights and headlights are working at night. These are controlled by photocells mounted by the lights, and not by direct hook-up to any vehicle light wiring. And of course, the screen to the right of the timers and light monitors is a navigation system.

The panel over the passenger side of the windshield is not yet really functional and is just made up of back-lit static images. Eventually, I plan to add actual accessories there, like a radar detector and a trip timer. But instead of having just a completely blank panel there, I made those graphics for now.

The next two photos are of the rear wing spoiler. I ordered this on eBay for only about $45. It clips on to the edges of the trunk, so no drilling was required to mount it. I modified the way the stands support the wing to get the angle that I wanted, and I made my own side fins out of plastic because the ones that came with it were too small. I used vinyl wrap to cover it for getting a color that closely matches my car. At metrorestyling.com, I used 3M 1080 film of the color "anthracite" to closely match the color of the car.

And finally, an updated picture of the auxiliary display panel, as I had to touch it up since I last posted photos of it. I casually think of this as the "iMID-2" display.

So, what's next? Well, I'm working on a control panel that goes just to the right side of the center console, where the shifter is. It's only about 2.5 inches wide, so it will not take up much of the passenger's leg room. And, since I cannot seem to find anything pre-made that looks the way I want, I am building my own side-scoops to mount on the sides of the car, behind the doors. It will probably be a month or two before those projects are done.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Lookin like a dango rocket ship in there! Not my style but neat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! And yes, both visions -- rocket ship and Back to the Future car -- are part of my ideas. The other two visions I have are the Knight Rider car, and James Bond cars. I guess you could throw Batmobile in there, to a lesser extent, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts