9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was just driving here on Long Island and got pulled over by a scumbag cop because of my yellow fogs. He threatened that I could get a ticket for them and that next time he sees them that he will give me one. He also said that I'm "not cool" which pissed me off so bad. I only use them cause I like the look, not because I think I'm cool. Reason why I hate cops. But my question is that are the yellow fogs illegal? I only have the yellow bulbs and not the film. Thanks!

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
Well I was just driving here on Long Island and got pulled over by a scumbag cop because of my yellow fogs. He threatened that I could get a ticket for them and that next time he sees them that he will give me one. He also said that I'm "not cool" which pissed me off so bad. I only use them cause I like the look, not because I think I'm cool. Reason why I hate cops. But my question is that are the yellow fogs illegal? I only have the yellow bulbs and not the film. Thanks!
In Ohio they're legal as far as I know....not sure about New York though. My guess is that he used your fogs as an excuse to pull you over and find something he can actually give you a ticket for.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Ohio they're legal as far as I know....not sure about New York though. My guess is that he used your fogs as an excuse to pull you over and find something he can actually give you a ticket for.
He didn't give me a ticket for anything though. That's why I'm confused. I think I just caught him at a bad time and he needed to get his anger out at someone.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,768 Posts
White or amber are legal in NY. I looked it up when considering swapping on my truck mid 2011. I can't remember though if the fog lights being on in conditions they are not necessary was illegal. Last took that test in 2008, so I'm pulling blank in that category. I never got pulled over for that though.

White or amber for forward lighting is actually in the federal lighting regulations too. Red only in the back.

You have HID bulbs in there? They can get you for too bright or misaligned.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If it truly is illegal where you are at, then I'd print out a copy of the actual law stating such and keep that in your car at all time. Every now and then you either get a cop that started in a different state and brings those laws with him when he moves; and/or you get a cop that thinks he knows all the laws, but never bothers confirming. Best thing is to be respectful if pulled over for the same thing again, but pass them the legal document showing proof that they're legal. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
i can understand purple,green,blue fogs being illegal or even red if you go that far, but yellow? really..?? That honestly doesn't make any sense. if a state is gonna pull you over for the "most visible color on the color spectrum" and try to give you a ticket, they should be bitchslapped... honestly, human eyes are able to see yellow the best, hence the aided visibility. my 2cents

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have yellow fog lights, I believe the same setup as you and i have never been pulled over for them and i easily see 2 - 3 cops when i'm driving at night. That is definitely interesting to hear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
im in PA and never got pulled over for yellow fogs neither, have been running them in all my cars since i started driving.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
White or amber are legal in NY. I looked it up when considering swapping on my truck mid 2011. I can't remember though if the fog lights being on in conditions they are not necessary was illegal. Last took that test in 2008, so I'm pulling blank in that category. I never got pulled over for that though.

White or amber for forward lighting is actually in the federal lighting regulations too. Red only in the back.

You have HID bulbs in there? They can get you for too bright or misaligned.
Nope, just Nokya Hyper Yellows. Not HIDs.

I have yellow fog lights, I believe the same setup as you and i have never been pulled over for them and i easily see 2 - 3 cops when i'm driving at night. That is definitely interesting to hear.
Yeah I have seen plenty of cops since I got them but this is the first time it's happened.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can understand purple,green,blue fogs being illegal or even red if you go that far, but yellow? really..?? That honestly doesn't make any sense. if a state is gonna pull you over for the "most visible color on the color spectrum" and try to give you a ticket, they should be bitchslapped... honestly, human eyes are able to see yellow the best, hence the aided visibility. my 2cents
Exactly my point. Plus many cars come with yellow fogs as stock bulbs to help in bad conditions. And he didn't say anything about using them without any bad weather, just having yellow ones in general.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,768 Posts
You should keep a driver's manual in your car to point it out to him where it says you can have white or yellow fog lights on your car.

Page 85 of the manual: "Front fog lights may be amber or white in color."

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/MV21.pdf

Reactions: colint

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You should keep a driver's manual in your car to point it out to him where it says you can have white or yellow fog lights on your car.

Page 85 of the manual: "Front fog lights may be amber or white in color."

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/MV21.pdf

We have to do that at work...........
WSP guy at the scales "Your truck doesn't have placards"
Me...."That because I'm exempt, here is the print out that says we are exempt"
WSP guy....."Ok, have a nice day"

The DOT in Florida hassled one of our guys wanting to know why the batteries are not labeled "non spillable"..............uh because they don't have to be, check the laws Mr, DOT guy.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Is yellow really "amber"? I would say stop using the term yellow in the presence of any authority types in the state of NY. They look amber to me officer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yellow fog should be legal yellow passes threw fog and does not reflect off of it like white or blue lights that's the reason you would want yellow fog light I can't wait to get the fog lights on my car so I can have them

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
173 Posts
i live in nassau county never heard anybody getting a ticket for yellow fogs..you live in deer park and suffolk county cops are skumbags..prob what braden said just used the fogs as a reason to pull you over and look for drugs etc

·
RevHung
181 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts