9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks in advanced for any help.

I have a 2013 Honda Civic sedan LX and i have water leaking to the trunk (See picture).
I checked the trunk seal and it looks in great condition and also poured some water around the seal and there was no leak.

Where the water can come from??
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-09 at 10.17.45.jpg

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
get some sidewalk chalk. rub it on your boot seal, heavy application. use blue painters tape on the underside of your boot. close boot. open boot. see if chalk transferred to the blue tape. if no, there is your answer. if yes....leave it on there. wait for next rain and then open boot and check the chalk. see if any of the chalk washed off and into your boot. it has to be on the seal, unless someone drilled a hole that you aren't aware of.

otherwise, the water has to go up and over the seal, which i doubt is happening.

good luck.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
I see the green arrow but am not sure what it is pointing at.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
From Honda Service News June 1998:
Pinpointing a Water Leak
AFFECTED VEHICLES: All

General Information
Water leaks can be hard to find because you have to douse the area with a lot of water (probably more than you think), and many are invisible to the naked eye. To find an elusive leak, try one of these tips:
• Watch the area from inside the vehicle while someone quickly pours a 5-gallon bucket of water over it on the outside.
This is usually more effective than squirting the area with a hose.
• Soak the exterior of the area with soapy water, then have someone from inside the vehicle blow low pressure
compressed air at it. If you see bubbles forming, you’ve found the leak.
© 2014 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Did you ever find the source of your leak? I have a water leak in the exact same spot in my trunk. i have a 2012 Lx sedan.

I cannot find where my leak is coming from, just curious what the cause of your issue was.

Cheers
Chris

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
Hello everyone and thanks in advanced for any help.

I have a 2013 Honda Civic sedan LX and i have water leaking to the trunk (See picture).
I checked the trunk seal and it looks in great condition and also poured some water around the seal and there was no leak.

Where the water can come from??
View attachment 477055

My car is leaking from the EXACT same spot(s). I circled the two spots and added drops to where mine is dripping from, right along that metal seam.

I got in my trunk and had my buddy run the water (hose) down my rear windshield, with a flashlight I was able to spot the water building up in those two spots before it dripped into my trunk. But, I don't know where the actual hole/leak is. It's not a crazy amount of water, after a full day of a rain I get about 10oz maybe. I removed the liner and I have an oil pan in there to catch the water.

Not a super huge deal as it's not much water, but it's annoying having to remove my liner during the rainy season. Oddly, washing my car is not an issue at all.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
Hey, wow, haven't seen you in a dog's age. Glad to see you're still around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone figure out the source of this leak? I've got the same thing. I'm thinking rain rails, or rear window seal? It's not the trunk seal, and it's not clogged sunroof drains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, unfortunately. Like you, I think it's the rear windshield seal.
Just wanted to update: To test the sunroof drains, I poured a few cups of water at each corner of the sunroof assembly with it open. I haven't had any water in the trunk since, so I can only assume that I had a small clog in the sunroof drain which was cleared by the pressure of the water.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
Just wanted to update: To test the sunroof drains, I poured a few cups of water at each corner of the sunroof assembly with it open. I haven't had any water in the trunk since, so I can only assume that I had a small clog in the sunroof drain which was cleared by the pressure of the water.
I tested mine by having my buddy run water down the rear windshield while I was in the trunk. I spotted exactly where the water was building & dripping but not where it was actually coming from.

Would this sunroof clog backup the flow from the trunk or rear windshield?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My leak was coming into the trunk at the same place as the pictures in the thread. You can see the rust on the seam in mine.

Do you have a sunroof? Pretty easy to test if the rear sunroof drains are working. Retract the sunroof, fill a measuring cup with water and pour some in the corner shown in the pic below, and watch for water to come out near the rear wheels.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
My leak was coming into the trunk at the same place as the pictures in the thread. You can see the rust on the seam in mine.

Do you have a sunroof? Pretty easy to test if the rear sunroof drains are working. Retract the sunroof, fill a measuring cup with water and pour some in the corner shown in the pic below, and watch for water to come out near the rear wheels.
Yes, mine is leaking from that exact same spot. I also have some rust.

Thank you so much for the info/photos. I'll test it today and report back.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts

So I tested both sides of my sunroof and the water flowed fine. Maybe it's my rear windshield seal. Hmmm. Oh well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
possibly a small hole/imperfection in the factory seam sealer ???
have any of you having this issue had the rear glass replaced?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,261 Posts
possibly a small hole/imperfection in the factory seam sealer ???
have any of you having this issue had the rear glass replaced?
Urgh don't say that I recently had the front windshield on my wife's car replaced because of a bad crack.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
now i have to go pull away the trunk liner and check my trunk! my car has been in lots of rain and snow over the 130K miles! got me all worried now

·
Registered
223 Posts
Urgh don't say that I recently had the front windshield on my wife's car replaced because of a bad crack.
i just had my windshield done, took a bad stone on a trip to fernie. the shop that did it did a great job, and lifetime warranty.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
No windshield work on my car, front or rear.

Mine doesn't leak much. My buddy ran the water hose on my trunk for a few minutes and I got all but 5-10 drops. No rust or water damage at all. So it's not a huge deal for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts