9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is teaching me how to drive stick and my parents are planning on buying me a civic soon since my little brother needs a car for college. my question is, how easy is it to learn stick and once i master / get the flow of things, should i get an SI?

·
Registered
136 Posts
my friend is teaching me how to drive stick and my parents are planning on buying me a civic soon since my little brother needs a car for college. my question is, how easy is it to learn stick and once i master / get the flow of things, should i get an SI?
Stick is easy if you are taught well. make sure you go to an empty parking lot and get all the practice you need. try not to get frustrated if you stall it once or twice. Everyone does it!
Honda's manual is one of the best in the business so if you are gonna get a manual, an si is a good choice

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had no clue how to drive stick but I wanted to learn so I went out and bought a car that was stick, that way I had to learn lol. Worked for me. Once u learn how to drive it, it will become second nature.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Like what everyone said, Take your time and relax. You'll stall a couple of times, burnout, fried the clutch, misshift, over rev, etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I learned how to drive stick. My friend told me to drive bare footed so I could feel the clutch pedal better and its true you do. Stop and go prossess is the hardest. once you get that its all easy ;) And make sure you learn how to take off on a hill. then after you learn that up shifting is easy. Down shifting you should learn last you don't wanna downshift with out heel and toe, rev matching ectt... unless you are in a snow state.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haha. Yeah, driving stick shift is easy once you get past learning the balance of letting the clutch out and opening up the throttle. You can't really learn it without getting the feel of it. Learned how to drive my first stick shift in about 2 weeks, learning to drive without stalling maybe about a couple of months :p.

·
Registered
10 Posts
driving

do you guys still (have to) take Driver's Ed?

just wondering if you're just learning the manual tranny

a beater is always the best 1st car

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's all about the ~feel~ of the vehicle. That's why I love sticks, because it's all about understanding and becoming one with your vehicle, don't take it as corny but you have to get intimate with it, sort of tame the beast within. Every car is different and that's what makes it enjoyable. Lol, tame the beast and it'll treat you right.

·
Registered
219 Posts
do you guys still (have to) take Driver's Ed?

just wondering if you're just learning the manual tranny

a beater is always the best 1st car
No, You don't have to take drivers ed for driving a MT car.

First beater should be a H-Series Prelude or a Turbocharged car. Once you get a hang of a boosted car you could drive any car lol.

If you wanna start off easy then drive a Civic with a D series, then work your way up.

I Really think that people that Drive MT are better drivers then people that drive AT.
1. You focus more on driving by shifting.
2. You less likely to fall asleep from driving MT.
3. You pretty much control your car.

4. This is pretty unrealistic but What if there was some sort of natural disaster and all cars were whipped out except a Civic with a MT, unlock with keys in it. And there was some tornado headed your way. You would be screwed if you didn't know how to drive stick.(This is one of the biggest reason why I learned how to drive stick. Someone told me the same thing I'm telling you)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
4. This is pretty unrealistic but What if there was some sort of natural disaster and all cars were whipped out except a Civic with a MT, unlock with keys in it. And there was some tornado headed your way. You would be screwed if you didn't know how to drive stick.(This is one of the biggest reason why I learned how to drive stick. Someone told me the same thing I'm telling you)
this is some pretty funny sh1t! its the end of the world.....and the only things to survive is you, your 2012 Civic SI Concept(manual):woowoo: with center exhaust and the cockroachs! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont be scared of it bro, its easier than you think.......once you get first gear down and start moving its all down hill from there :)

and once you start driving one on a regualr basis it becomes second nature.....

WHere you from by the way?
from lincoln, NE

and my friends i shouldn't get it hah, saying that i would not be committed to it! ILL SHOW "EM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, You don't have to take drivers ed for driving a MT car.

First beater should be a H-Series Prelude or a Turbocharged car. Once you get a hang of a boosted car you could drive any car lol.

If you wanna start off easy then drive a Civic with a D series, then work your way up.

I Really think that people that Drive MT are better drivers then people that drive AT.
1. You focus more on driving by shifting.
2. You less likely to fall asleep from driving MT.
3. You pretty much control your car.

thats almost the same reason why he taught his g/f how to drive stick. incase something happens to his legs or something, she can his car

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
from lincoln, NE

and my friends i shouldn't get it hah, saying that i would not be committed to it! ILL SHOW "EM
your in NE? dude thats perfect, the only thing you have to worry about running over is the corn! lol sorry i could resist :)

But seriously you can do it dude. Just know your going to stall, your going to grind a little, your going to mis-shift....but we all have! Trust me once you get the hang of it and understand the mechanics you can even shift without using the clutch and without grinding it! i use to do it all the time in my STI.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
your in NE? dude thats perfect, the only thing you have to worry about running over is the corn! lol sorry i could resist :)

But seriously you can do it dude. Just know your going to stall, your going to grind a little, your going to mis-shift....but we all have! Trust me once you get the hang of it and understand the mechanics you can even shift without using the clutch and without grinding it! i use to do it all the time in my STI.
:rotfl::signlol: This is so signature worthy...

·
Registered
219 Posts
you can even shift without using the clutch and without grinding it! i use to do it all the time in my STI.
:bricks:Good bye Syncros and teeth
I did this at one point, and it does work but really beats on your tranny even when it doesn't grind. You may not have teeth on your gear if its a Daily thing lol.

But it's fun driving stick too. When people get on your ass on a hill you could roll back to **** with them and they freak the **** out.

or when someone is tailgating the **** out of you, you could purposely kill your car at a oneway stop light and pretend you can't start your car and when light turns yellow turn your car on and launch out of there.(Lol my friend did this the otherday)

Oh, heres another one I've seen someone do, If your on a interstate and someone is like 4in behind you. you could down shift 2 gears (rev-match) and peel out. The people really really freak the **** out.(I LMFAO when i Saw this)

1 - 20 of 459 Posts