• Cloth

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting a '12 EX or EX-L coupe myself (actually just decided on coupe over sedan) and was wondering what the opinions were for cloth vs leather, especially in the civic.

For myself, living in TX, I'm afraid the leather would heat up in the summer. Also, does leather age worse than cloth? I've also read it can be a chore to maintain leather. How often would it have to be moisturized and what would you use? Do you find the seats more comfortable than cloth?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
IMO i prefer cloth.....My Raptor has leather and its nice but i only got it because there was no option for a cloth interior. But yes, living in so cal the summers are pretty warm and even hotter when i go to AZ and NV.....the black leather heats up and is not comfortable to sit on. You should condition your leater about once a month and be sure to use a quality conditioner. otherwise you will notice cracks and tears and the interior will not hold up well at all. Here's some option's

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would go with the cloth as well. I'm not fond of leather in cars (but elswhere like the love sofa, its gtg)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I say, go leather. I like cloth but I've seen both the leather and cloth in the Civics and it looks better to me

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have leather in my accord, and cloth in my civic. The leather is nice for wiping clean, but as said above, you do need to look after it.
The leather in the civic, and accord for that matter, is not of amazingly high quality, but if looked after you shouldn't have any problem. My accord will be 4 years old in October, and the seats have held up well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Leather in Texas? Not a good idea. Leather is like your skin, ...actually it basically is skin, ...but yeah, like your skin, ...in warm/hot/dry weather, you gotta keep moisturized.

I prefer cloth.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
...For myself, living in TX, I'm afraid the leather would heat up in the summer. Also, does leather age worse than cloth? I've also read it can be a chore to maintain leather. How often would it have to be moisturized and what would you use? Do you find the seats more comfortable than cloth?
If you were in a colder region i would say it might be nice, but in TX i think the majority of the year they would be hot as **** to get in your car and go...

I would think in a hot climate too, leather would be harder to maintain. Im up in MA and i have looked at used cars with leather and you can really see the difference between maintained leather and unmaintained...rips, cracking, etc..No clue on what to use as i have never had leather...

Also, my thoughts would be on trade in...how much more is your car going to be worth in 2,5, or 10 years with the leather? its probably not going to make a difference but its definitely a lot more out of pocket - at least if it was my pocket.

Good luck, let us know what you get!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I choose cloth as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The EX-L coupes all come with gray leather. The exception to the rule is the white Civic. The white exterior Civic EX-L come with stone colored leather (a differnet tone of gray).

From one day of experience, my '12 Coupe EX-L (leather) didn't really heat up any more than my '09 Coupe EX (cloth) did. A major factor added in, I don't have tinted windows. My car was exposed to sunlight all day long yesterday (7:00am-5:00pm), and when I got in at 5:15pm central time, the leather was not hot at all.

I'm taking Talon's advice on the maintenance, so it should last a long time. I've seen neglected leather and it's an eyesore.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of the cars I have owned over the most recent years have had leather, but not by choice. Its nice, but I just prefer cloth and I guess I want it for a change. I am thinking of a 2012 Civic EX 4dr with cloth and navigation. I like the fact that you can get cloth interior with navigation, something that is a rarity on cars these days. On most cars you have to get the leather seat option to get the navigation.

Still researching so not sure what I will get yet, but if its the Civic, its gonna be a white 4dr EX with nav. We had two at our local Honda dealer, but they were destroyed by a huge hail storm on April 27. Even the windows where smashed out. :( I think they have it for sale for like $14,000 now, but its the leather option model.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i originally wanted the EX because i wasn't crazy about the leather idea... but imo i think the leather interior looks a lot better on the '12s. also, the heated seats are a def nice added plus. :) it's not as uncomfortable as i was thinking it would be originally...

in the end, i'm really glad i went with the leather. it's easy to wipe clean, it's more comfortable than i was expecting and i think it looks a lot better than the cloth interior of the new '12s. ... the cloth almost looks cheesy, i think, unfortunately. :/

not to mention i would have had to wait another month or so for a dealer to get a hold of an EX with nav because they are so rare... the EX-L was much easier and faster to get my hands on. :p

·
Registered
717 Posts
I choose cloth and didnt want the leather in texas

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I don't really like the cloth interior, but considering I'm going off to college and my car will have no garage there, which means constant direct sunlight, itd look awful in a few years :/

·
Registered
717 Posts
cooled seats i would have done.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
yeah why has no one attempted cooled seats before?
maybe with a remote so you can turn em on before you get in the car, I know the buick lucerne has a steering wheel cooler, but by the time it cools down, you would have already adjusted to the heat

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
yeah why has no one attempted cooled seats before?
maybe with a remote so you can turn em on before you get in the car, I know the buick lucerne has a steering wheel cooler, but by the time it cools down, you would have already adjusted to the heat
Because what sounds more uncomfortable than a cold ass?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Your ass covered in heat blisters

1 - 20 of 41 Posts